The Masters????

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by kp, Mar 12, 2020.

1. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I finally won tickets to the Masters although a practice round and now it will almost certainly be cancelled or spectators restricted. Just my luck!

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

If they do that they'll probably give you the option to use them next year. Don't miss it, walking that course is awesome.

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is what I was looking forward to. Just being able to see the course will be a milestone for me.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I haven't seen but are there spectators today at the Players?

5. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

KP, they just cancelled the Masters. And you CAN'T use them next year. So shipmate, I have found a refund service for you, but you'll need to immediately mail them to the address I've provided you in an email.

Semper Fi@

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

So no spectators tomorrow through the Valero in Texas

7. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

See that's just ridiculous. No different than the flu. MY GAWD.

8. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Doc, do you screen your patients before working on them? I mean, have you ever had someone obviously sick that still wanted to get in the chair? And if so, how do you handle that? Just curious.

9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Thank you sir!

10. Terry O'Keefe

AJ for the most part patients who are sick with the flu don't show up in dental offices. So I can't remember when I've had a case where I have had to send a sick patient home. I have declined to work on patients who have dangerously high blood pressure readings though.

I have recently though asked my patients who have traveled internationally and have elective treatment to wait 14 days before we see them, anybody who tests positive for Covid-19 would be asked of course to not come in to the office. All dentists wipe down their treatment rooms with approved antiseptics after each appointment. It's scary time for practicioners and patients.

11. Terry O'Keefe

I guess golf is going to be the only sport left playing for now. LPGA has cancelled the next month. I won't be surprised though when we have a PGA tour player test positive and then they suspend the tour.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Well that didn't take long. The Players Championship is toast after 1 round and the next three PGA events are cancelled. I listened a lot to the Golf Channel last night including PGA Commish press conference and he was pretty adamant that going forward with no spectators was good. He was banking on the fact that players are on a huge (400 acre) outdoor area and don't really come in contact with one another during the tourney. In fact they also had on the LPGA tour commissioner who was doing the opposite and cancelling the LPGA, they (in a nice way) sort of questioned his logic and you came away with the sense the interviewer thought the LPGA was over reacting.

1 day later...PGA does what the LPGA did.

Masters is now in play for not being played, by the time it's played there is very likely to be a couple of tour players tested positive.

13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah, I keep checking the Masters website and there is no mention of this year's event at all.

14. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I saw that the Masters just announced the the Women's Amateur and the Masters have been "postponed" .

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Terry O'Keefe

Masters has been officially postponed. No date has been set for reschedule.

Kentucky Derby is up next and then the Indy 500 and the Coca Cola 600 for Nascar.

Nascar runs every week, certainly no bodily contact between drivers and they are a long way from the spectators, but I could see them running in front of empty stadiums

16. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

AJ, I love ya, but that statement is not correct. Current estimates are that 20% of cases will require hospitalization. Not just desire it, but require it. 13.8% due to severe symptoms (shortness of breath, low blood oxygen, acute respiratory distress, fluid buildup in lungs). Another 6.1% due to critical symptoms (respiratory failure, septic shock, multiple organ failure).

There have been a few reports on available hospital bed analysis that explains very well why we MUST slow the transmission of the China Coronavirus, because there are not enough beds for JUST THESE cases if they all hit over the course of a month. And that is if all the beds are used for JUST THESE cases, and not any of the other "every day" life threatening things people face every day (giving birth, car accidents, heart attacks, septic ulcers, etc.) which, on average, eat about 2/3 of the available beds on any given day. This also does not account for the additional 10%-20% of hospital visits for the over-reactionaries. :)

If you slow the transmission rate, you allow the health industry to more efficiently absorb the number of cases and maintain a low mortality rate. If you over-crowd, or turn away cases to concentrate on triage, you increase the mortality rate.

I am not recommending panic, but it must be understood that doing what can be done is the responsible thing to do, not ridiculous.

The US Doesn’t Have Enough Hospital Beds For A Bad Coronavirus Outbreak

Coronavirus cases: Spike would leave US hospitals without enough beds

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Another problem is the shortage of testing kits. People are now in a panic with the non stop media coverage and I am sure that people who are suffering from seasonal colds and flu will be running to the ER fearing they have Covid 19 and doctors will be flying blind trying to choose who needs hospitalization and who can safely self quarantine. Plus more than a few who have the virus will be asymptotic and continue to go about their normal routines and unwittingly infect others. Our medical system is facing some tough times.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Terry O'Keefe

So in Italy they have already reached capacity Kes, and they are going into triage mode. You won't get a ventilator if you have underlying medical conditions that lessen your chances or that you are over a certain age (80? ). They will receive palliative care and allowed to die.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

The US is likely 1-2 weeks behind Italy at this point. Even with hard decisions like these being made, the number of cases currently undetected will have us higher on the graph regardless. These moves will only start to show improvement in 2 weeks.

I moved the discussion to the Back Room out of consideration for the real Sports discussions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

There are no more sports to discuss! :eek::rolleyes::mad::(

• Agree Agree x 2