The future of sports broadcasting?

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by George Krebs, Dec 4, 2019.

1. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

The New York Yankees announced yesterday that they have signed a deal with Amazon Prime to live stream their games.

For current "cord cutters" and those like myself who are plotting their cable escape, this is welcome news.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I'm still exploring the cord cutting, but it kind of seems like you are trading one cord for another cord and if you want to see the shows you want to see there may not be much of a cost difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

We have never subscribed to any cable service. I am primarily interested in TV for viewing sports. Tried Sling, then Direct TV, and ended up with Hulu live TV. My wife enjoys many of the Hulu non sports programs. I can pick up most sports on Hulu or via ESPN. We pay $55.00 per month with two screens. Most of my viewing is via my Mac computer. SEC, ACC and Big Ten channels are all included. Reception is good and we have regular Antenna TV to watch as well.

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Don, I don't want to watch football on my computer but I have a smart tv. Can I get all of the college football, basketball, golf that I get now (via DirectTV) on Hulu? I live out in the middle of nowhere in rural Alabama and my internet is via ATT hotspot so that probably changes the equation although we do watch Amazon TV (streaming). Our regular TV antenna selection is limited and inconsistent also. We are supposed to get wired internet access in the next year.

5. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Kp, Hula has access to almost all of the major sports and teams on your package that your smart tv will pickup. Some golf but not as much as football and basketball. I imagine your location would dictate what content you can receive via Hulu. I pay about $50.00 per month for my internet connection on top of Hula fee. You can go online and check out the detailed programs available in your area.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Aren't the Dodgers on YouTube TV now?

7. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

The MLB has a game of the week on Youtube to promote YoutubeTV. The Dodgers were on there frequently.

8. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

We've been using Youtube TV for almost a year now. It has a good selection of college games on Sat. I pay $55 a month which is about half of what I was paying for cable. It has unlimited space for taping shows and has a nice feature that allows you to pick up a show from the beginning. I looked into other streamers but some didn't have the golf channel and Sling didn't carry and FOX networks.