The Draft.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

While waiting around trying to figure out if the Texans will take a WR or OL at the #27 position.

I was listening to the local draft expert who said that Colin Klein is the worst QB for the NFL that he has seen in years but that he is insisting that he be taken as a QB. Won't consider moving to another position. He's likely not going to be drafted.

He also said that EJ Manuel has been heating up with the success of RGIII, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, Colin Kapernick, etc. I can't believe it that guy was really a mediocre college QB.

Also it's hard to imagine how Matt Barkley has fallen, from a sure fire lottery pick maybe top 5 after the 2011 season to a 2nd round pick (maybe) this year. Texans have lots of bigger needs this year than QB, but Barkley would be a good fit for Gary Kubiaks offense.

Also I see that Robt Woods, the USC WR, who many talked about as NFL ready when he was a freshman, blazing speed, and NFL size. He's not a 1st round pick either.

Will the Browns take another QB this year?

I saw that Jamarcus Russell was supposedly working out in So. Cal with that big time QB guru. I wonder if somebody would take a flier on him. He looked like a kid who could easily ballon to over 300lbs when he stopped playing football.

2. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:idea:
    This year's draft class is the greatest for linemen and the worst for QBs and TBs that I can remember. If it was my money to spend, I would definitely go after OLs. Good ones last 10-12 years and that gives you time to fill in the skill positions...

3. Terry O'Keefe

I'll be very interested to see where Denard Robinson ends up. He's a supremely talented athlete, but the position he played in college is not an option for him in the NFL. Which means he has to learn a new position.

4. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I don't say this about many Michigan men, but I wish him well.

5. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Me too. He was our 12th defensive player last season. He performed well in that role.

6. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Well pitching is definately out. :D

His size is a real detriment. He has great vision and quickness. He could be an effective punt returner. With the recent changes in the NFL kickoff rules, return men are less important.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Well a few surprises, Te'o and Geno Smith didn't get drafted and neither did Eddie Lacy. I thought for sure those guys would go. They'll all most likely go today in the 2nd round so I'm not going to feel sorry for them, they'll get some bonus and they'll get a chance to prove people wrong.

8. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Agreed on Manuel.

T'eo not getting drafted in round one and Floyd of UF dropping from a projected #3 pick to the 23rd pick were two stories of the day to be sure.

RE: Denard Robinson..... can you say "Hines Ward"..... :wink:

9. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

yeah, it sucks from a financial standpoint. However, I firmly believe that it can be something used to your advantage in the long run if you're looking at any type of extended NFL career. Te'o has had enough silly baggage tossed around his neck and he doesn't need any more. EL is one of those guys who will get to the NFL and he'll either make it, or he won't. Barring injury, I am betting he will. The problem is that RBs are like china dolls in the NFL. Honestly, in terms of investment, I thought this was one of the more business savvy 1st rounds in a while. There was a few head scratch picks, but by and large teams invested in things that will pay off in the long run for them.

That poor bastard drafted by the Cowboys...

10. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:D :D :D

What are the Jets going to do with SIX QBs?

11. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

The only one who has any value at all is Sanchez. I would attempt to trade him for some future draft picks. Woody has done a good job of gutting this team. Many lean years ahead.

12. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Kept wondering when Sharrif Floyd was going to get drafted, finally late to the Vikings.

Interesting the the first QB was Manuel from FSU.

Lattimore to the 49ers. I'm not a Gamecock fan, but I am pulling for this young man to recover and have a career.

Running backs fell pretty far in this draft.

Looks like the Dolphins are finally doing some things to become competitive.

13. Terry O'Keefe

FSU had 11 draft picks, more than Alabama.

14. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

FSU had 11 of 20 eligible picked 55%. Alabama had 9 out of 14 or 64% of their players picked.

15. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

If my count is right, ND had 6 of 9 eligible players drafted.....67%, not the biggest numbers, but a respectable percentage.

16. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Johnny Musso
    Willis McGahee
    Travis Henry
    Marcus Lattimore

In games I have attended in The Swamp those four had the most memorable monster games in wins over Florida of any I can remember.

Lattimore was a beast when healthy.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Cierre Wood signed with the Texans as an undrafted free agent. Ben Tate is in the last year of his contract and there are concerns about his durability. Texans also signed Ray Graham from Pitt who was a damn good back before he hurt his knee.

While I hope they all make it of course, I'm really rooting for Kapron Lewis Moore to make it with the Ravens.

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

According to ESPN ND had 13 players eligible for the draft. Cave, Cowert, M. Golic, Goodman, Tausch, Toma and Wood didn't get drafted.

19. Terry O'Keefe

63 players from the SEC drafted today.
    30 - ACC
    28- Pac12
    22 - Big 12
    21- Big East
    20- Big 10

Power shift is complete. This will result in more and more top players wanting to play in the SEC. Population shift from Rust Belt to Sun Belt. It will be difficult for conferences to compete with SEC, they will have more money going forward, more exposure, playing in bigger stadiums before bigger crowds, perception that playing there prepares you for the NFL better (numbes don't lie).

20. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I was going to post something about the SEC having the most players drafted Terry but you beat me to it.

It is kind of amazing when you think about it. The ACC had 30 drafted and FSU had 11 of them.