The City America Forgot

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by Motorcity Gator, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

God help you if you live somewhere that has an unfortunate natural disaster because apparently the rest of America is incapable or unwilling to help you restore your life to what you had before.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=329904

I know it's complicated down in New Orleans but there is a callous disregard by some people that promotes spending trillions of U.S. dollars in Iraq while letting the people of New Orleans fend for themselves because they "deserve" it......codespeak for "that's what they get for being and electing Democrats".

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well politics aside, I was there back in April and New Orleans was sort of a Ghost town...Burbon Street was bustling still but the Airport and the drive in made me wonder where were all the people. As a Houstonian I certainly wish that those who came here would go back home, they caused a significant spike in our crime rate and steadfastly refused to attempt to assimilate and get jobs. Most of them still don't work, and our city (due to 100$ a barrell oil) is still a pretty vibrant place to find employment, Apt owners are still stuck with them and the Govt is still paying their rent.

Everytime a deadline comes up when the rent subsidy from FEMA is supposed to go away Jesse Jackson comes down and stirs up a big protest and it's extended. From what I've read there are jobs in N.O. for the rebuilding that is going on but it's not being done by the former residents, they don't want to do that kind of work.

It is sad what has happened there though. I don't think if we stopped funding the War tomorrow, things would change. Certainly having a Democratic Controled Congress, State Leg, and Mayor hasn't changed anything since 2006.

3. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

It's a lot more complicated that just using New Orleans as a way to take a political shot MCG.

There is plenty of blame to go all the way around in this situation. My son went there to work after the storm one observation that he had, and remember he was not there all the time, was along the lines of what Terry said. There were two long lines close together. One of the lines was for handouts of water an some supplies, which for sure the residents needed, the other line was for work. The thing that struck him was that the line for work was pretty much all out of town people, Mexicans mostly if I remember. The locals didn't seem to be looking for work.

That surprised me a lot but it fits what Terry said and what a person I knew in Florida who was from that area told me also.

No question it's a tragedy.

Terry, did you notica a lot of construction?

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Not really Bill. But it's not like I did a tour of the area. Airport --> Hotel was my total travel outside of up/down Burbon Street.

I wonder if maybe this should be moved to the Back Room?

5. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

There is plenty of blame to go around... from the Bourbon Street bar and hotel owners who offered everyone free drinks and other amenities to "ride out the storm" to the completely inept/corrupt Mayor who sat there watching the approaching storm for a week and did nothing to a Governor who duplicated Nagin's efforts toward total futility.

So the answer, as always, is to throw money at the problem? It is still a city below sea level withn a disappearing delta between it and the sea. And a significant amount of ferderal aid that has been dispensed there has been used fraudulently.

Does personal responsibility EVER factor into a liberal decision to throw money at problems?

6. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I read an article in a professional journal about lawyers and their practices in New Orleans. It would be a terrible thing to lose your office, furniture, files, evidence etc. Some of that at least could be rebuilt or replaced. But what about your practice. Where are the individuals and the companies that you represented? They were gone and were likely never to return.
    This is probably the same scenerio that faced other professionals such as accountants, dentists, doctors etc. It's easy to see why they relocated and why they probably do not plan to return.
    The fact is, New Orleans is still below sea level and is still in the potential path of future hurricanes. I think many relocated and even if they had the chance to return have decided not to.
    And MCG as to your comments about the local leadership in New Orleans, let's fact it, not all cities can become great world capitals like Detroit has.

7. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

lame

<t>my new roommate was finishing up his post-grad work at LSU and was living in New Orleans during Katrina. Whenever someone tries to make this issue about 'lack of Republican support' or 'the country doesn't care' he just wants to punch them in the mouth..<br/>
    <br/>
    Funny thing, he's not a Republican or even a Christian. Needless to say, what George says above is spot on. There is an almost countless amount of money that has been stolen by local govt or contractors. Why keep throwing money at it? This is a state that is use to a hand out... It may be their curse.. They don't know how to work.<br/>
    <br/>
    At some point in time, they gotta do it themselves. So many 'proud' residents of New Orleans moved onto Houston, Mobile or quite a few other southern cities and they've made no effort to help or go back and rebuild. <br/>
    <br/>
    I know the hotels in Decatur were packed with FEMA residents who sat there until the $$ ran out... then they appealed (and won) and stayed there another 6 months on FEMA $$.. NOT WORKING.. <br/>
    <br/>
    As other said before, its way more complicated than this is painting but the city, at some points, and its residents have gotta help themselves.</t>

8. IrishCorey

LOL

<r>READ this POS article for fun though. There's nuggets like this in there<br/>

<QUOTE><s>
    </e></QUOTE>

wtf is this ass jockey talking about????? This guy has absolutely no effing idea what he is talking about... Every ND road game I've ever attented (@ Florida State, Georgia Tech and USC) the home fans are always shocked that ND brings more fans than anyone else.<br/>
    <br/>
    that might be the biggest floater in a bowl season of turds by the media.</r>

9. IrishCorey

more LOL

<t>so now Katrina is responsible for New Orleans being one of the murder capitals of America?? It was before the storm and it is after the storm. Ask Houston and other cities who saw their crime rates explode after katrina.. of course, that's our fault too....<br/>
    <br/>
    how?</t>

10. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Back Room this thing....you guys are ruining my Bowl buzz.... :wink:

11. HoustonLarry

HoustonLarry New Member

Don't..

<t>Ever forget that ingrate Mayor Schoolbus Nagen and his shameless actions plus the Gov that lied her ass off during the tragedy. Yes both Dems thank you. So predictable.</t>