The Big 12

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Guest, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Well it certainly looks like this is the B12's year to dominate. The have Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska in the top 5 and Kansas State who should be a top 10 sitting at #11.

That's pretty impressive! To say the least.

Sat night I watched Texas and Houston. The horns are winning by impressive scores, but not looking impressive while doing it. Simms shows you why everybody thinks he's so good and then he throws some terrible passes. The WR's that are touted as the best group in College also at times show you why they are touted and then they start reading their clippings instead of making big plays. If Mack can get these kids focused as the season goes on they will go a long way.

The Game in Dallas with the Sooners looms very large on the horizon. Great Offense vs Great Defense....should be a classic.

Oh yeah...those guys in Red up north are looking pretty good also! [​IMG]

Terry

2. Vol Jeff

Vol Jeff New Member

Terry,

The Big 12 does look to be strong. NEB and OKLA seem to be getting it together and KSU looks good as well. The KSU/OKLA game this weekend will tell us a lot about both teams. Like you wrote about Texas, they are winning by big margins but there still seems to be question marks about them. I still fail to understand the whole Simms/Applewhite thing though. Applewhite was shafted big time IMHO.

One more thing about Texas, they won't even have to play well to win the rest of their games with the expeption of the OKLA game. Their schedule is very advantagious to say the least.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

The Big12 are dominating the voting patterns in a manner that would make a Dade County Democrat blush.

The last time I looked, the Pac10 owns the Big12, including the most recent bowl games. Kansas State struggled in their opener to beat a last place USC team in a game the Trojans should have won.

...Impartial Journalist...JO'Co

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm tempted to make my annual trek to Dallas early this year. I usually go around Thanksgiving but I just might turn up on Commerce this year and watch the pre game carnage. Do they still publish the arrest count on the front page of the paper?

5. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Terry,
    I have to ask a question after watching the horns for the first time this year. How can the announcers sit there and tell me I'm seeing the best secondary in the country, when they gave up 364 yards pasing to a quaterback that I'm being generous in calling second-rate??? He overthrew just about every attempt in the first half!

You better blitz Hyble a LOT, or you are in for trouble against OU...

------------------

Gig'em
    Fightin' Texas Aggies
    Scott Durden

6. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Guess we'll have to wait until bowl season to see if the PAC can put the BIG XII back in it's place again...although it does appear the B12 has 2 of the nation's toughest teams, I'd place money on a matchup of 1-5 from each conference on the PAC.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm not convinced on Texas either. They give up way to many points and tend to lose a game to some far inferior team ever year.

They probably have more talent on hand after the last few recreuiting season than anybody in the country. Unfortunatly, they don't play like it often enough.

Tim

8. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

The Big 12 certainly is looking good at this point. Oklahoma has two big games coming up that may help define who is best in the Big 12.

The Pac 10 is also looking pretty good.

FSU is looking real good. Fresno State University of course.

The SEC is not looking as good as I would like losing some out of conference games I would like to see us winning. Florida and Tennessee seem on a collusion course with S. Carolina and LSU lurking also.

Miami looks outstanding.

Ok that's all the compliments for the moment. [​IMG]

---------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

Gator Bill

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Scott,

I think Texas with Jammer and Babers has about as good a defensive backfield as there is in the country. But it was hard for them to be jacked when they were 31 pt favorites against Houston.

I think Mack is bringing the team along nicely, the schedule has been easy and he hasn't had to whip them into any sort of emotional frenzy for the opponent. They should have plenty left in the tank (emotionally) for the big game vs OU in Dallas.

That is going to be the edge this year, the schedule is set so that we only have to get up for a couple of games this year. OU being the first game. The question will be of course, can they turn it on when they need to turn it on. I think they can. He's getting to play a lot of kids. Did you see that Freshman LB, that kid is a stud!

As far as Applewhite goes, it is a shame that between injuries and some inconsistent play on his part that he's in his current position. But Simms clearly has more physical tools and I think Mack is doing the rigth thing by letting him play the majority of the snaps right now and developing his game. The upside for Simms is huge. Major was at his best when he had Ricky Williams back there to keep defenses off of him. But our offense has changed and requires a QB with a better arm than Applewhite has.

Terry