Thad Matta out at Ohio State

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Don Ballard, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I guess it was bound to happen, but I did not expect this until next season. Two bad years in a row and poor recruiting results seem to be his failing. Still, he represents the best of OSU basketball in thirteen years. His record surpassed that of Fred Taylor.

If you cannot win every year your days are numbered. This might be a be a blessing to Thad in my opinion. Enjoy life and move on to something else.

Your efforts sincerely appreciated by this fan!

2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Don, I'm shocked. Were there rumblings? It looks pretty much the same as Crean's firing. Excellent results for several years but the 2 rough years in a row result in a "What have you done for me lately?" firing.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I guess after his initial success both on the court and on the recruiting trail things have tailed off a little bit and so now he's gone.

He had a good record at Xavier, although both guys who have followed him have done as well and the current Xavier coach, Chris Mack, has done a really good job and is a Xavier grad.

But Thad will be coaching somewhere in the 2018-2019 season. He has the next year to think about where might be a good landing spot. Rick Barnes was fired by Texas for about the same reasons, diminishing returns and he got picked by Tenn very quickly and I'm sure is earning big $$.

4. Terry O'Keefe

I will say it's a tad odd to do this so far after the season is over. Kind of messes up the whole search, as most programs are now set for the 2017/2018 year and losing their HC really hurts.

Any word on a list of guys who are going to be targeted? I doubt if money will be an issue for the Buckeyes.

5. Terry O'Keefe

I see that the speculation is that Ohio State will look at ..

Sean Miller - Arizona
    Chris Holtmann - Butler
    Chris Mack - Xavier
    Shaka Smart - Texas ...he is a little shaky with the fans right now, but has an excellent recruiting class coming in so I can't see him leaving.

If they had done this after the season Archie Miller would have pretty logical.

6. Don Ballard

I would be happy with any of the Mack family coaches. I do not see Sean leaving Arizona. Timing is not good, but a change was needed.

Thad's health problems was an issue also. (Back problems)

7. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

We'll take Thad!!!

8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Matta and Crean both will land on their feet.

9. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Plain Dealer list;

Chris Mack - Xavier
    Mick Cronin - Cincy
    Chris Holtmann - Butler
    Buzz Williams - Va Tech
    Chris Jent (unlikely because of the circumstances)

They have Sean Miller as a "Long Shot/Pipe Dream" along with Billy Donovan and Greg Marshall (Wichita State)

Matta owns the highest winning percentage of all Big 10 coaches with at least a decade in the league.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Buzz Williams is a very good coach, would be a terrific hire for you guys.

Gregg Marshall would be a great hire as well, would sort of screw WSU as they have moved up in the basketball by leaving the MVC to join the AAC I'm sure motivated by the success under Marshall and would be stunned if he left now. But $$ talks and being the coach at Ohio State > Wichita State.

I saw where they will also approach Jay Wright...that would be huge and I would guess that if Ohio State wants they can outspend 'Nova but he's got a pretty good gig there, as much national prominence at 'Nova in Basketball as at Ohio State.

11. Don Ballard

Looks like Gene Smith, OSU AD, is going to have his hands full with finding Thad Matta's replacement.

Media is already having a field day with their projections and rumors. Arizona President says no way will they let OSU hire Sean Miller! http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19567414/dr-robert-robbins-university-arizona-says-ohio-state-buckeyes-hire-sean-miller-my-dead-body

Jimmy Vitale wants the Buckeyes to hire Crean? Baylor coach is a possibility on an OSU blog? Take your pick, this could prove to be a very interesting hire.

Personally, I would love to see Ohio State hire Billy Donovan, but that would be a long shot. The money would not be a problem here.

12. Terry O'Keefe

The Baylor coach, Scott Drew, is the son of legendary Valparaiso coach Homer Drew and his brother Bryce Drew is the coach at Vanderbilt.

Scott took over the Baylor job after the Dave Bliss scandal rocked the program, he had nothing to work with and had a rough start but since then the program has been very solid. He's been there more than 10 years and I don't see his name come up very often when bigger jobs come open, not sure why though.

13. Don Ballard

Chris Jent, former player and now an assistant coach, to interview for OSU job this afternoon. Gene Smith wants a hire by weeks end.

14. Don Ballard

OSU makes offer to Creighton coach per ESPN http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19573898/creighton-coach-greg-mcdermott-offered-job-ohio-state

15. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Excellent move. He's a kind of under-the-radar guy who's done a great job with the Blue Jays. Knowing how thoroughly the big schools vet their coaching candidates these days, I'm guessing OSU has determined that he's a solid recruiter.

16. Don Ballard

Sid,

Assuming he does accept the position, I hope he can revitalize our recruiting needs. The last few years have been very painful for fans, way too many disappointments with players leaving in droves.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Well McDermott has tweeted that he's staying at Creighton. Creighton is a good job and being in the Big East they have more visibility for sure. I guess it's a case of him just liking where he's at and feels like he's making plenty of money and has job security that maybe he wouldn't have at Ohio State.

Not sure what goes into making the decision to move from a successful mid-major program to a big time program. I know Shaka Smart had a lot of opportunities to move from VCU before he made the move to Texas, why he decided that it was the right time to move I have no idea.

Next!

18. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Darn! As a Butler fan, I was hoping he's take the job and leave the Big East. :lol:

19. Don Ballard

Butler coach Holtman now to candidate for the Buckeyes.

20. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Ouch! If he gets the job, the consolation for Butler fans (moi aussi) is that the cupboard is full for the next guy. It's well known that Butler is is a cradle for coaches, as we're seeing with OSU's interest in Holtmann.