Super League

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

An article on The Athletic is presenting a framework for the death of the NCAA regarding football. A Super League of 70 teams. It's a paywalled article so if you aren't a subscriber you can't read it . I do like the idea of separating football out from the rest of college sports and creating a new way to go about the season and into the playoffs.

Now I'm not sure the Big 10 and SEC would be very receptive to to tell you the truth but that's yet to be determined till they actually go beyond writing articles about what should be done and actually do it .

Once football is out of the NCAA then they can go back to the old conferences as opposed the mega conferences we have now. No more Stanford minor sports and basketball or the Pac12 teams traveling to the Midwest/East coast when they should be playing most of their regular season games in their region so the travel for the baseball, softball, volleyball, etc is reasonable.

He's a snippet from the article

They are trying to implement a drastically new system that would replace the NCAA and the College Football Playoff and potentially provide a solution for the hurricane of current and future lawsuits aimed at the business of the sport, plus the NIL and transfer portal issues that, they believe, have put college athletics as a whole in peril.

The current CST outline would create a system that would have the top 70 programs — all members of the five former major conferences, plus Notre Dame and new ACC member SMU — as permanent members and encompass all 130-plus FBS universities.

The perpetual members would be in seven 10-team divisions, joined by an eighth division of teams that would be promoted from the second tier.

The 50-plus second-division teams would have the opportunity to compete their way into the upper division, creating a promotion system similar to the structure in European football leagues. The 70 permanent teams would never be in danger of moving down, while the second division would have the incentive of promotion and relegation.

The playoffs would not require a selection committee, as the eight division winners and eight wild cards from the top tier would go to the postseason. The wild-card spots would be determined by record and tiebreakers, much like the NFL.

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I read the article. It said nothing about scheduling. I guess it's presumed that each team would play the other 9 teams in their division and then have 3 additional games. That would leave 3 additional games for traditional rivalries. However the scheduling of 7 home games would probably not be possible under that concept.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Might not be a bad deal for Florida. The South Division is essentially the old SEC sans Florida. It would preserve my favorite rivalries. At least something to think about.

5. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I understand, however I don't like the Gators not playing all the teams I am so used to in the SEC.

Don't really want that to happen.

But if it does life goes on.

6. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

That model sux. It reassembles the old SWC which I haven't missed.
    I think they have too many teams in that set up anyway... it won't be that generous.
    As that list stands... there are a lot of have-nots being included who don't contribute to the pot, so I don't see them coming along in the end.

7. Bear Down Rick

Bear Down Rick Well-Known Member

Personally, I would love to have the old Pac-10 back. I loved the round robin scheduling for football and basketball, and in basketball we also played home and away games with each school every season and our rival was our travel partner.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah I think the Under League category needs discussion.

• Like Like x 1