Super Bowl XL

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well the Steelers arrived in Detroit today, a few of the Steelers (including Jerome Bettis) got off the plane wearing Bettises Notre Dame Jersey. It was green to celebrate his last bowl win over the Fla Gators! :)

[​IMG]

I also read an article on the DetroitOnline about his visit to his old neighborhood. His old house is abandoned and falling down. Some of the oldsters told him it was no longer a neighborhood, just a 'hood. Ah Detroit!! :)

Terry

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I keep waiting for a Super Bowl that is my size. When is Super Bowl XXL? :D

3. Terry O'Keefe

gipper I was listening to a liberal from Detroit complain to Tony Snow about rounding up all the homeless in Downtown Detroit. She wants to know what happened to them. Did they drop them off your neighborhood!! :)

4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Terry
    I hear that they're going to be having a big dinner for all the homeless that they can find and it coincidently is on sun. evening.
    I believe that the original plan was to drop them all of in Houston but New Orleans beat Detroit to it. :lol:

5. Terry O'Keefe

Sad but true. The Mayor and County Judge went to New Orleans with a task force to see the "reconstruction" progress. The were shocked and dismayed, you could see it in their faces in the interview. They just deadpanned it and said there was no reconstruction that they could see and that the people of New Orleans who were in Houston better plan to get jobs and stay awhile.

This of course will be a mess because they are all hooked on free rent from FEMA.

It's not pretty here, crime rate is up big time.

Terry

6. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Spent the day in downtown Detroit. It's so different from the place I've known for years. The streets are alive with people many wearing Steeler jackets and shirts.
    The Rencen is full of media including the ESPN studios. Saw a number of well-knowns. While I was going down an escalator Matt Leinart was going up. I yelled "Hey Reggie, push that guy!" Got a turn and a grin.
    There's a light rail train that does a loop in downtown Detroit. It usually is empty or has less than 5 people on it at one time. Commish and I had to wait 3 trains before we could ge on and it was packed like sardines. No doubt more people will ride that train this week than in the next 2 years. Some folks started Seahawk cheers then Steeler cheers. I couldn't help but try to start a "Fire Milen!" cheer.
    My daughter Meg spent the week setting up the ESPN hospitality suite in the suburb of Southfield. Stopped by to visit this evening. They took a ballroom and set up a bar, plasma, TVs, pool tables, foozball tables and dart boards and made a sports bar out of it. She has an outside chance of a ticket. (she'll give it to dad.)
    So far, it seems like visitors are having a surprisingly good time.

7. Terry O'Keefe

So did you talk to the Commish about ND Basketball? Or did you not want to ruin the weekend! :)

Will he be getting you into the FHM or Penthouse Party!!

8. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I'm hooked up with (free to me) two $400 VIP tickets to the Hustler T&A Bowl party at the Zoo bar where the Club Jenna/Vivid party was last night.
    Hey, if I can't get into the real VIP parties like Maxim, SI or Playboy I might as well be at the nastiest.

4-7 inches of snow coming down tonight so driving might be a little dicey but I've got my brother-n-law driving (since I got the tickets)>
    Should be interesting to say the least.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Will you be able to sneak in a digital camera!! lol. I had no idea Hustler was still around! :oops:

10. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Friday's night's party as described by a visitor from Seattle

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/258317_moore04.html?source=rss

11. Terry O'Keefe

So I guess they aren't serving beer at the Maxim Party! :p

12. Terry O'Keefe

2 other observations from Bobda's article.
    what the hell is that?
    So I guess they had to go to Ann Arbor to get some UM Coed's right? :roll:

13. Motorcity Gator

Another article on Jenna:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/pete_mcentegart/02/04/ten.spot/index.html

FYI, the 5-9 inches of snow forecast tonight and winds up to 40 miles per hour is threatening to cancel my plans as my Bro-in-law is hedging on joining me (not to mention that it's his wife's B-Day and she is coming down with something besides and he hasn't really explained the nature of the "VIP" event to her). I could go it alone but drinking and driving aren't my thing. (just the drinking part)

14. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Terry
    I'll try to have Commish post his thoughts about ND backetball. He's hoping to go to a reception being given by Lee Steinberg this afternoon and the SI party tonight. But hey why tell you guys about stuff like that when we can talk about Irish hoops?
    At the SI party my second favorite singer (after Sinatra) is performing.....Kid Rock.
    Once of Mike's friends from SI asked him yesterday if he was taking me to the party. I asked her if she'd take her mother. She nodded and said "good point."
    Well I'm just going to sit around waiting for the phone to ring. I'm sure someone's going to have an extra ticket to the game. (Jenna didn't call me yesterday so I'm on a losing streak.)

15. Motorcity Gator

:evil: :evil:
    Made it down last night anyway. Took a limo bus down from an eastside eatery I hang out at and only paid $25 ( heck parking downtown was $30... :shock: :shock: )

Ran into my neighbor and his wife who is good friends with the owner of the Zoo bar's wife and therefore I was admitted to the VIP's VIP area that only a few could access. The only drawback was now I was on my best behavior (she knows my wife well). Oh well.....it kept me line and I am sure saved me some money that I know would have flown out of my pocket the first time something very cute asked me if I wanted a lap dance somewhere dark.

My neighbor's wife did insist on taking my picture with Memphis Monroe, a new Hustler contract adult video star that is just a sweetheart and a georgeous girl. (Google her for sure)

Anyway, a fun night in a downtown Detroit that has probably never been as vibrant and friendly and exciting as I saw it last night.

16. Terry O'Keefe

OK so we'll be getting a pict of you and Memphis??? :lol: Well you can crop yourself out of the picture so as to not ruin it!! 8)