SEC Title Game

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I have to wonder how the coaching exodus at LSU will ultimately affect this game.

Bo Pellini is a strong rumor/fact of being a new hire at Nebraska as of early next week and the Michigan AD lets it be known Miles is talking with UM next week also.

I can't see how this will help the team in preparation for Tenn.

This should make this a very close game I would guess.

I wouldn't bet the game either way.

On a side note: good thing for Florida they didn't make this game in
    Atlanta because Tebow would have been out for it.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20071129/NEWS/71129032/1016

2. Motorcity Gator

Breaking News.......Miles to Michigan!

...per ESPN's Herbstreidt on Gameday...

HTF does he know that?

I just finished reading the Detroit Free Press on the subject and they committed a large part of the Sports section to that without saying there was a finality to it...just a desire and a meeting.

LSU was supposed to counter offer BIG next week.

3. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

I can see very clearly what you are leading up to MCG. Now, even if Tennessee wins by 3 TDs, you will discredit the Vols victory due to distractions at LSU. The helicopters will be hovering all over. There will be rumors of Phil Fulmer impersonating Michigan reps while leaking false rumors to the press.

The Tennessee players are playing in a situation in which they have historically been very successful. Tennessee excels in the role of the underdog. The worst thing in the world just happened. Corso just picked Tennessee to win.

4. Motorcity Gator

Corso says the distractions affect LSU and Tenn wins.

Herbie says the distractions don't get the better of LSU and they win.

One of the Tenn players says they are the best team in the SEC...I nearly choked on my bagel when he said that. :shock:

5. Tennessee Tom

So, MCG, in your opinion, who is the best team in the SEC?

6. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Tom,

best of luck to your Vols today.....make no mistake, this is for the championship and you will get LSU's best shot. If they can't get ready for this one, they are not a championship team. If your boys pull it off, you are the SEC Champ, period. Nothing more needs be said....

Let those whose teams didn't get the job done when presented with the opportunity, whine all they want. The only thing that matters is what happens on the field......

7. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Tennessee Tom,

Which do you prefer a SEC Championship and retain Fulmer, or lose to LSU and get rid of Fulmer?

Don

8. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

I'm stickin' with my 7-10 "V" for the "V"ols!! I just think they are ready and LSU aint. 8)

BTW, wish I was fishin' .... as the weather is absolutely glorius, today!!

9. Tennessee Tom

Can't I have my cake and eat it too? :?
    What's stoppin' ya? Go have fun! :wink: If it is watching some high profile games, that's what Tivo is for! :wink:

10. Tennessee Tom

Don,

Seriously, getting to the SEC CG has muffled some of the fans. I'm not sure now that there is enough support for the removal of Fulmer regardless of the outcome of today's game. I think it would take a complete collapse in the SEC CG and a no-show in the Peach bowl to allow the moving vans to start showing up at the Fulmer residence.

Another issue is the musical chairs game being played with coaches right now, especially in the SEC. With Mike Hamilton dragging his arse like a dog with worms, we are probably too late this year to get a great replacement.

Let's just win out this year and then WHEN Fulmer loses to Florida at home next year, we can already have a noose ready hanging from the statue of the Volunteer. :shock: :x

11. Motorcity Gator

Exactly...

No matter what happens today the little matter of a huge blowout...on the field in September will not allow me to believe that somehow the loser of that blowout has magically surpassed the winner in talent or as a team.

Especially when you look at other on field results the rest of the year.

Tenn struggled so mightily and came within a whisker several times of not being in Atlanta today. By contrast Florida blew out those very same teams that Tenn struggled with.

One nice game at home vs. Ga does not exonerate Tenn from the rest of their foibles.

I know that either Georgia or Florida would be favored over LSU today.

I would have to say that since Ga beat Fla...Ga is a better team.

But I am pretty sure the Dawgs wouldn't have wanted to play a healthy Florida squad as FSU did last week in Gainesville.

12. Tennessee Tom

BuckeyeT wrote:
    Thanks Terry. I am going to complete that last sentence for you and I am sure that is what you were saying:

13. Tennessee Tom

... and If Tennessee wins today, they will have beaten two of the teams that beat Florida. I guess that doesn't count for much, huh?

IF Tennessee wins, they will have won when they had to win in order to get to the SEC CG and to win it. At that point, we would be The Champions of the SEC ...something that Florida can only dream of this year.

My apologies to the other Florida fans on this board. I have tried to be as nice as I can over this but MCG just won't let up.

14. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

The football world, particularly SEC fans, have all season long proclaimed LSU the best and most talented team in the land.....if the Vols beat them in the championship game, that speaks for itself. They will have won the championship based upon the entire body of their work all season long and passing the all tests required of them where others have failed to do so......including those that managed to stumble upon a solid game at some point or another during the season. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that if they were better, they wouldn't be at home watching on TV.....

I can't imagine our Gator friend proclaiming Auburn the "best" team in the SEC last year, can you? Nor did I see Auburn fans doing their best to p!ss on somebody elses party simply because theirs didn't turn out quite as well.....some things just don't change. :roll:

Go Vols!

15. Tailback

Tailback Guest

Another mystery injury?

16. Motorcity Gator

Tom,

Nowhere have I stated Tenn would not deserve to be SEC Champion if they beat LSU.

On the contrary I have said that I admire and commend the vols in two different posts.

But as usual because I will not bow down and give in on my opinions I catch flak. That's B/S.

I believe what I believe...and others believe what they want to believe.

It's pretty obvious if anyone cared to watch the actual games...and I have seen every Tenn game televised.....which was many and it was definitely these close shaves that shaped my opinion. More than anything it was the close shaves vs. SC, Vandy and Ky rather than the one game blowout by Florida that gave me a body of season long evidence about what I think Of Tenn. The Bama game didn't help either.

Tennessee's two best games were at home in Knoxville and they were average to terrible elsewhere. Why should I think they are a great team?

A gritty....resilient team that overall is not that great a team and in fact could be one of the least talented teams to win the SEC in the present format....and they very well may do it.

But...a big UH OH.....Les Miles has announced he is staying at LSU.

17. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I certainly hope you are not referring to Tebow!

If you are simply reading the news would have led you to know he broke his hand in the FSU game and is wearing a cast.

But hey if that's what you meant it's just another cheap shot, if that's not what you mean then enlighten me as to what you did mean.

18. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

As far as this game goes, whichever team wins needs not think the other team had any excuses.

I think LSU has the best talent in the SEC, the last three years for that matter. But they seem to not make it all the way. They lost to Georgia in the Championship game two years ago in a game that I called the winner. Last year they lost to the Gators in the regular season, lost another game and didn't make it to the Championship game. But at the end of the season a lot of people thought they were the best in the land. May be but they didn't win it on the field.

This year they lost two overtime games and won a couple of other close ones. Any team that beats them have to bring their A game that day, they may not be over achievers, but they make any team that beats them earn it!

If Tennessee wins today it will be because they earned the win and they will know they have been in a game.

Anyone who belttles a Tennessee win would just be agitating.

I think LSU wins, but I will be cheering for Tennessee to pull an upset.

19. Motorcity Gator

Bill,

TB has deluded himself into thinking that Tebow was not affected by his shoulder injury vs. the Dawgs.

I suspect next year if Tebow is healthy heading into that game that all Georgia fans with that kind of attitude will have a serious lingering doubt in the back of their mind regarding the outcome of next year's game.

20. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee scores first on a fairly impressive drive for such an untallented team.

LSU could have intercepted on the last play but did not. The defender went for the interception, missed, and allowed the Tennessee Tight End to waltz into the endzone.

Tennessee up 7 - 0