Sam Young is Irish!

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by BobW, Jan 19, 2006.

1. BobW

BobW New Member

Isn't this one of the strongest o-line recruiting classes in irish history? Five guys with 4 or more stars. Great job by Charlie and his staff. I cannot wait to see this line in action someday.

JO'Co, isn't this what you meant by, "off the charts"?

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

If you control the line of scrimage you control the ball. If you control the ball, you control the game.....

Bo Schembechler

and Bo knows.

3. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Off the charts

<r>Yes Bob, this is off-the-charts. <E>:shock:</E> I never expected a class like this. Its been a long, long time. There are so many great All-American OL prospects like Young, Carufel, Wenger and Stewert, that some of these guys, may eventually have to switch over to DL just to get on the field. Those are the kind of problems I like to have.<br/>
    <br/>
    What amazes me most is the depth. In a single class, Charlie Weis has provided instant depth at every position except DL. He even has three incoming big-time kick returners: Gallup, West and Prince. He also has several players who play multiple positions to add flexiblity. These include the above three plus Paddy Mullen, Demetrious Jones and all three safeties. He even has TWO shut-down corners in this bunch and they should be welcomed like the cavalry arriving at a burning wagon train...<br/>
    <br/>
    ......................JO'Co</r>

4. BobW

BobW New Member

That's how our local pro team, the Redskins, won three Super Bowls. The press here likes to point out that Joe Gibbs won three rings with three different QBs, what they never say is he won all of them with the same o-line.

Charlie said earlier this season that game planning was easier in the college game. He said that in pro ball the players show up at 7:30 AM but in college you don't see them until after classes end at 2:00, giving him more hours per day to strategize. I'm wondering what he thinks of the recruiting process. He has the equivalent of a dozen first round picks coming in one off season. As we all know you can't do that in the NFL, the salary cap won't allow for it. I wonder if recruiting (for him) is like being a kid in a candy store.

5. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I think

<t>the difference is, in the NFL you know if those guys are really first round draft worthy in a hurry.<br/>
    <br/>
    in college, you don't even know if they will wind up being drafted at all regardless of awards given in HS.</t>

6. BobW

BobW New Member

Yeah Corey, you're right and I worded that poorly. The point I was trying to make is that 4&5 star recruits to a college program are like a first rounder to an NFL team.