Reports Say Shula Fired

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Gator Bill, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I thought they announced he was going to stay for at least another year.

Personally I don't think he got a fair shake.

Shula Gone

2. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Shows you that merely going to a bowl game means nothing anymore.

3. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

What it really shows is this win win mentality of college football.

Shula, Coker, Koetner... all winning coaches.

Shula is a class act and represented Bama very well.

He will not be unemployed for long.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

He might be a class act and a great husband, terrific dad and all of that. But I'll bet a dollar to a donut that he never gets another head coaching job in football again.

Terry

5. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Mike Shula ?

He's 41 years old. He's been in football all his life and knows the game like the back of his hand. 15 years as an assistant NFL coach.

I'll take you up on that bet.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Next year he'll be back in the NFL as a position assistant again, and that's where he'll stay. He was a desperation choice by 'bama after the Price incident. He was not on some fast track to the top. How many HC jobs has his brother had since he was fired at Cincy?

7. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

He's not his brother. His brother was 32 when he was hired, I believe one of the youngest if not the youngest HC in NFL history.

Let's face it, they guys making the decisions to hire and fire coaches have -0- football acumen.

If it weren't for wealthy tycoon boosters none of these coaches would be making but a fraction of what they make today. They are the ones who are in control of college football and responsible for paying these salaries.
    Do you think Stoops would get 3.5 million without a wealthy oil tycoon footing the bill. Mack Brown? Charlie Weis ? Dennis Franchionne ?

Their salaries are not coming out of school funds and no school will ever raise tuition to foot the bill.

8. Terry O'Keefe

I don't disagree with you on money driving the truck, but Shula was not a rising soon to be HC when he was in the NFL, he was a desperation choice for Alabama. Nothing he's done at Alabama has indicated that he will be on the short list for another HC job in college football.

9. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

He never got a fair shake. He started off minus a few scholarships because of these boosters.

They created the mess and expected him to clean it up within 4 years.
    the worst thing he did was go 10-2 last year.

I have watched a few of their games, watched the Bama coaching shows and also saw him in a few commentaries. He has a great football mind.

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Tuscaloosa (Cecil Hurt is about as inside as you can get) News is reporting that Shula is out. If true this is a big mistake. I think he deserved another year. The defense has been excellent and the recruiting has been excellent. Whoever comes in will do okay next year but I think Shula was a possible long term fix. We played 6 teams this year that are in the top 25 and while we only beat one of them we had a chance to beat each one of them all the way to the end of the game. If this is true it is a very impatient move. :x

11. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Apparently it is true. Joe Kines, the DC has been named the interim coach. I sure hope the delay of over a week means that a new coach is already lined up. Too quick on with hook, IMO. :?

12. Tailback

Tailback Guest

Always listen to Finebaum. ;) Sorry KP butTruthfully I have no clue what planet you've been on lately? Who couldn't see this coming?

13. Terry O'Keefe

AJNJ I wouldn't argue with you with regards to fairshakes, boosters being the problem, etc. I'm just saying that he had 1 winning season out of 4 and that is not going to get him on a lot of short lists. During that time Bama won with defense, they had continual offensive problems. Credit for the Alabama defense will rightfully go to Kines, credit for the Alabama (lack of) offense will go to Shula.

You can say it's not fair, and all that stuff but the bottom line is there is no body of work to say he's going to be a candidate for a HC job. Ty Willingham had a body of work from Stanford when he was canned at ND that was attractive to Washington, he had a big national reputation. None of which Shula has. He's Don Shula's son, which doesn't really add anything except to old farts like you and me.

Rising young coaches at the mid majors, hot coordinators those are who will be getting the jobs, not fired coaches at big time schools.

14. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Who are the top candidiates for the Alabama job?

I am in Tailback's camp on this one. Alabama was the flagship of SEC football with its great tradition. With its resources and the talent they can draw upon, they should be a national power and not a team happy just to be bowl eligible.

15. Terry O'Keefe

Gene Chizik should be at the top of Alabama's list. He knows the scene from his days at Auburn and he's young and dynamic. Although he's got some stain on his resume this year with defensive collapses at KSU and at home vs the Aggies.

16. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

My hunch is that Alabama, with its deep pockets, will go after someone who is already a head coach and has achieved success rather than hiring a highly touted DC or OC although I would not be surprised if they looked closely at Cutliffe who was, I believe, an Alabama grad.

17. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Ha! TB nice of you to weigh in after the fact. I think the decision was made after Shula met with Moore this weekend. I guess I'm just not smart enough to listen to Finebaum. He is obviously a sports information giant. Alabama took this action one year too soon. I think whoever comes in will look good next year (unless a new system changes the personnel requirements). I actually wanted Bower (from So. Miss.) last time. I still think he would be a good choice.

18. Terry O'Keefe

oooooooh Cutliffe to Alabama, that would be dicey. It was the reinvention of the QB position by Cutliffe this year that made Tenn back into a top 25 program. That would be a big set back for Fulmer, esp given that it's his bitter rival Alabama.

Terry

19. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Bob, I don't think the pockets are deep enough, they proved that to me when they lost Franchionne. Maybe Cutliffe, if he has the energy to start all over again, but don't expect any established coach at a big name school. They can only get whatever 1-1.5 million will buy em, if that much. BAMA is in a poor position to bring in anyone, other than an OC/DC, assistant or someone who makes little money.

With a 4 million dollar buyout of Shula's contract, there's not going to be much left for the new coach and his assistants. Right now they are huddled up with their accountants, financial advisors and wealthy boosters trying to figure out how what they are in the market for when they know they have to pony up 66-70K per month for Shula till his contract expires.

If I was Mike, I would take my sweet time looking for another job.
    With Boosters it's all about ego and power, with coaches it's their livelihood and especially the assistants who get f'ked.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Spurrier to Alabama! Word.