rematch?.....no way....

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Great take by Mandel on the rematch issues of the Michigan-OSU loser and also Notre Dame (page 2):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/11/14/mailbag/index.html

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Where was all this "no rematch" crap when Fla. whined its way into a rematch with FSU? Oh, I forgot, it's Florida. They're different.

3. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

This IS the national championship game....they have proven themselves to be the two best in the country over the course of the season. The winner is the best....anything that comes after is a mere exhibition to pacify the fans of those who have already evidenced themselves to be unworthy.... 8)

4. Motorcity Gator

Wrong Gipper.

There was no BCS match-ups in 1996 other than pairing the best available teams together.

The Sugar Bowl had an unseverable claim on the SEC champ Florida and FSU was the next highest available team (they were #1).

The Rose paired Pac10 vs. Big 10 only in those days.

Florida did not "whine" it's way into that one. They certainly did luck out though that OSU was knocked off by Mich in the last game of the year and then OSU beat AzSt in the bowl game and Nebraska was beaten by Texas in the Big 12 title game.

This same kind of scenario could play out in these last few games of this season excpet that it is now guaranteed for BCS #1 to play BCS #2....
    unlike in 1996.

5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

The only NC that Fla. has won in modern times was won on a rematch. Now with the shoe on the other foot, the possibility that some team could gain a rematch for the NC, the Gator fans cry foul. So typical.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I certainly hope that we don't have a rematch. I don't think I'd even bother to watch if they did.

7. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Me either.

I keep telling folks...there will be no rematch...the only way is if EVERYBODY else has two losses...then let's talk.

8. jif5

jif5 Well-Known Member

If Michigan wins a very close game..maybe overtime..MAYBE a rematch. No other way even considered.

9. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Joel,

No , it would be the other way around. If the Buckeyes eeked out a win in OT, then there's a possibility of a rematch. If the home team loses, then it's finito and no point of a rematch.

I don't think anyone outside of Michigan or Ohio would want a rematch
    and I would tend to believe the TV ratings would be poor and much worse than the original game.

10. Motorcity Gator

I agree with the article. If a rematch is in the offing why get all hot and bothered by the game this Sat. in Columbus?

Why not just postpone it until Jan. in Arizona? What's all the excitement over a meaningless regular season game?

11. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Perhaps you never hear of ratings.

12. Motorcity Gator

In 50 days you never know what could happen between these two teams.

I suspect the better game was today but you may yet see them both again in a rematch.

13. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I think the circumstances in 96 were quite a bit different when Florida did luck out and get a rematch with FSU. But I've learned never to bother gipper to much with facts when he's on a roll with his one liners.

Having said that I can see how Michigan would be happy with a rematch and it well could happen. I have to admit they looked a lot better than S. Cal today, and they beat Notre Dame decisively so I think they chances are good it happens.

And since I don't see much chance of Florida getting there, I don't think even gipper can accuse me of whining when I say I don't think it's quite fair to Ohio State to have the rematch. But it would probably be a great game to watch.

Gator Bill

14. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I's sure you do. And very surprisingly so does Motor City Gator.

15. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Ah gipper, I expected another one liner and of course was not surprised.

And neither am I surprised that you have a conviently short memory about how that rematch came about, and that it was not a match for the National Chamionship until Arizona lost in the Rose Bowl.

But as I said, never bother gipper with the facts.

Next one liner negative to the Gators coming up I'm sure.

Gator Bill

16. Terry O'Keefe

Urban weighs in on the subject.

17. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Gee remember FSU having to beat Fla. twice? Boohoo. Oh wait, twice wasn't the same thing back then.

18. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I wonder how the Florida folks feel about their coach sounding off the way he did. I know I wouldn't be too happy if Charlie appointed himself judge and jury and spoke that way about the other teams in the mix. He's living in a glass house and throwing stones from inside. He's also giving several teams some good locker room wall material. Not very smart.

19. Terry O'Keefe

Sid, better wait a week. If ND beats USC, Charlie will make some comment about ND's position in the BCS, he likes to talk to the press and somebody will ask him and he'll give them his honest opinion. It's not likely that he will say that ND doesn't deserve a shot at Ohio State.

I watched Charlies post game press conference. Charlie is refreshing and honest, he doesn't dance around questions. He says what's on his mind. When they asked him if he's thought about USC, he said not only has he thought about them, he's already watched all their offensive and defensive plays, and most of their special teams plays. He said he was going to watch them last night. Then he said that during Army week he was mostly preparing for USC. Now nothing wrong with any of that, but can you imagine Ara or Lou being that forthright with the press? I can hear them now.

Reporter: Coach have you looked at USC yet

Ara or Lou: I'm just going to enjoy todays win and tomorrow we'll start looking at USC.

Reporter: Coach did you spend any time watching USC films last week

Ara or Lou: We were preparing for ARMY

Reporter: Coach have you been spending any time in practice working on your game plan for USC.

Ara or Lou: As I said we were preparing for Army, we'll start working on USC tomorrow.

Terry

20. Motorcity Gator

Well said Terry.

I don't think Meyer should start lobbying for the BCS though. That seems to backfire on every coach that does it.

I'll gladly take the next two wins in heartbeat and then see what happens after UF is SEC Champion. That SEC ring is the only one the team should be concerned about right now.

I'll say one thing though. He does point out the frustration and impact of questionable ref calls in big football games. That fumble call goes the other way and UF kicks a short game winning FG vs. Auburn and this discussion isn't going on right now.

Without a playoff that's how important each game is.