Red River War OU vs Texas

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Guest, Oct 2, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Well for the first time in a very long time the Sooners and the Longhorns will be playing a significant national game in Dallas. Both are undefeated and both are highly ranked....been a long time.

The Longhorns have played a pretty easy schedule, although they did beat UNC as did OU. The easy schedule has given Mack a chance to just let Chris Simms settle in to the roll as the starter. Last year at this time he was trying the 2 Qb dance and every time Simms did something wrong he was yanked in favor of Applewhite. Against Tech, Simms really looked like the QB that we expected him to be, he started the game red hot with 10 straight completions. And even more important Ivan Williams has stepped up at tailback, making the developement of superfrosh Cedric Benson a little easier, Mack can put him in the game in selected situations and bring him along.

On Defense the Horns have a frosh who is absolutely Dynamic...Derrick Johnson..remember that name...the kid has looked great..propensity for making big plays. Also Mack has brought the 3-4 defense into the equation along with the usual 4-3. Giving ole Stoops something to think about.

No doubt OU with their big win over KSU last week is more battle hardened. And they have also been able to bring their young QB along with a some what easy schedule. No doubt Bob Stoops is given a huge gameday edge over Mack Brown in terms of coaching ability. How big it is, is a subject of discussion. But I think Mack proved he can coach in going to Neb and defeating the Huskers and also taking them down at Austin.

It'll be a great game. Interesting is that the Longhorns of course lead the series but when it comes to blowouts the 5 biggest blowouts in the series are all OU wins and never has Texas comeback the next year and avenged the defeat. Always a first time!

Go Horns.

Terry

2. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

It's going to be a tough test for UT, and I just don't see them pulling out the W against OU (unless OU pulls out to a big lead again like last week...).

3. Vol Jeff

Vol Jeff New Member

Well, it's put up or shut up time for the Longhorns. They'll either prove they are a legit top 5 team or prove their detractors are correct in saying they are over rated due to playing a weak schedule. In reality, they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Personally, I think OKLA will take the game but it is a huge opportunity for the Horns to get respect nationally. I'll be attending the Tenn/GA game and won't get to watch it live but will probably set the VCR just in case it's one of those classic games you don't want to miss. Good luck to both teams.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Boy am I glad this game is back to "prime time"... Always one of my favorite games of the year growing up has finally returned to the Marquis spotlight..

[​IMG]

5. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

How can you respect any team that has the female reproductive system on their helmets??!! [​IMG]

Of course, OU's paperclip isn't much better!
    [​IMG]

------------------

Gig'em
    Fightin' Texas Aggies
    Scott Durden

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Question: If the Longhorns win and do it in an impressive way...does that get Mack Brown off the snide as being a great recruiter and mediocre gameday coach?

Another tid bit...Stoops is 7-0 vs Top 10 teams at OU...pretty impressive.

Terry

7. Vol Jeff

Vol Jeff New Member

Terry,

I think that would help Mack Brown's reputation a lot but I'm not sure one game would turn it around. If he went on to win the NC then definitely so IMHO.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Here's a link to an ESPN story about the game.

On their front page they have a box about the game and in it they write that Chris Simms was brought to Texas to beat OU......they forget that 3 years ago when he signed with the 'Horns, Stoops was not at OU and OU was not a force to be reckoned with in football...but what do a few facts like that have to do with anything. [​IMG]

Terry

Red River War

[This message has been edited by Terry O'Keefe (edited 10-04-2001).]

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Most telling stat about the game was Texas rushing for 27 yards on 25 carries. That was the ball game folks. It's nice to be able to throw the ball all over that park, but if you can't get 100yds on the ground then you probably won't win. With the spread you can move the ball almost at will between the 20's but with out a running game it's hard to score in the redzone against a quality team.

Cudo's though to the OU defense. They let Simms complete a fair number of passes but they did no damage. If they don't get the fumble recovery for a TD, it probably ends 7-3 OU.

I don't think Mack was out coached in this game, but a loss is still a loss.

The Longhorns have a week off to get ready for Colorado who will be comming off a tough 2 week run vs KSU and Texas A&M. I think the 'Horns will be up to the challenge. They will need for the Sooners to stumble 2 times inorder to get to the B12 championship game and I can't see that happening. I see us finishing at 10-1 in the top 10 and a BCS bowl. A&M could jump up and beat us, since it is at Kyle...but right now I don't think so.

Terry