Recruiting

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Gator Bill, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Well a week or so ago the Gators picked up a 5 star and two 4 star recruits at the two all star games.

In the last two weeks though we have had a 5 star and two 4 star recruits withdraw their verbals. Different ones of course.

This weekend a 5 star DE, Nick Kasas out of Colorado withdrew his verbal to the Gators and made a verbal to Colorado.

Talk about three steps forward and three steps back!

But I am of the philosophy I have always been, these young men are 17 - 18 years old and they need to take their time to make the right decision. They are not really committed to anyone until they have signed the letter of intent. Until that time they are fair game.

I just hope we can replace them with equal, better or almost equal players.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

At the AFCA meeting a proposal has been put forth to have an early signing day in the 3rd week in Dec. I think it's time.

While I agree with you Bill that they are just kids and all, but the athletes in all the other sports are just kids as well and they have an early signing day as well. Why do football players need more time than their fellow athletes in all the other collegiate sports?

Early Signing Period

3. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I also read that Terry and the early signing period is fine by me. My point has always been that the kids are entitled to change their mind up until the time they sign.

The early period would allow the ones that want to get it over with to do that and those that want to keep going until the later period to also do that. It's fine by me.

Right now the Gators have 5 or so already on campus and in school, early entries and one Junior College player.

4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Bill,

I don't think that the withdrawals are necessarily a bad thing. Florida is so obviously loaded that some of these kids who want early playing time can't see where they can break into the depth chart. Thus they decide to look elsewhere. That's a problem most teams would love to have.

5. Terry O'Keefe

I think it's interesting that the Gators had kids decommit after the NC game, you'd think that if anything they would be more convinced that UF was the place to be. But I would imagine that as good as UF and Meyer have been at recruiting they will be replaced and UF will have an outstanding class.

6. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

What do you guys think about the 'change of coaching staff' waiver that would allow a kid to pledge to another school if the coach leaves or is fired..

I know, I know... the kid pledges to the school and not the coach... but if that were the case, the Ivy League and the Academies would still be powers..

(ftr-I am against the waiver)

7. Terry O'Keefe

As far as a provision for change of coaches, it does seem like a good idea but the other sports don't have that option do they?

8. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

9. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Man ... I sure hope Meyer is able to sign Jelani Jenkins and "turn" Zeke Motta!!

10. Terry O'Keefe

Zeke Motta had a good all-star season and he'll be shooting up the rankings most likely. I doubt if Urban can turn him though, he's been very solid to the Irish. Zeke has become my favorite recruit. I love the kids attitude, his athleticism (sort of reminds me of Tommy Z). I thought he'd be a safety but it's looking more like he'll be a LB at the collegiate level. He's grown into a big kid, some said he was already a solid 220lbs at the Army Bowl.

I thought though that you'd already got a commit from Jenkins.

11. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

I believe Jenkins is one of those "silent" commitments. And re Motta, I was just kidding, and forget the :wink: . I'm hoping Jawanza Starling is UF's final S commit.

12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Isn't Motta already enrolled at ND? Or am I thinking of someone else?

13. Terry O'Keefe

You're right Sid, I just checked and he's already enrolled.

14. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Re Motta ... one of his HS coaches posted on a UF insider board (don't remember if it was Gator Country or Scout) a great report on the young man. The reports that came through the UF insiders was that Meyer wanted Motta at UF.

Also, Meyer wanted Cowart to walkon at UF.

15. Terry O'Keefe

Question for you Gators.

I noted that what I assume is the best RB in Fla and a top 10 player on both Rivals and Scout opted for Alabama. I wonder if guys who want to play RB in the NFL will go to UF. You guys have a very unconventional running game that isn't likely to prepare a kid as well for the NFL as a more Pro Style running game at Alabama does.

Do you think that the future will be mostly the smaller quicker RB's will go to UF and the bigger more Pro Style RB's will look elsewhere?

16. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Demps is a true freshman and Rainey a soph while Moody is a soph.

I think Rbs this year may look at that and not want to wait 2 years to see PT.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Demps and Rainey aren't 5'11" and 210 are they? That's what I'm talking aboubt that kid is a prototypical NFL RB, he'll grow a little and be 230 when he hits the NFL. That style of back doesn't seem to fit the Meyer offense does it??

18. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

On a side note:
    Maybe. Maybe not. If he finds he can add 20 or so lbs. without sacrificing speed, he'll add the weight. Or....he might - with the help of trainers - determine that his optimum weight growth is, say, 10-15 lbs. before the additional weight begins to slow him down. Just a little useless information to help fill your day.

19. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Terry - I'm not sure any UF fans have an answer to that, yet. In the 2009 class, we have

Mike Gillisee
    Ht: 6-foot-1
    Wt: 205 lbs

But, he may be more of a slot receiver than RB.

We'll see. Trent Richardson still has an official visit to UF but he does sound like a solid Alabama commit. I believe Jamal Berry will be in Gainesville sometime over the next 3 weeks and some think there's still a chance to get him into orange and blue.

20. Terry O'Keefe

5'11" and 220 is still a prototype of a NFL RB. Adrian Peterson is a little taller and a little lighter, but I think most NFL RB are slightly under 6' and around 220. LT is 5'10 and 220.