Politics as of May 10 2023

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by George Krebs, May 10, 2023.

1. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Title 42 expires at midnight and is expected to trigger an avalanche of border crashers. The Debt Ceiling expires June 1 and there have been no serious discussions to date.
    The Administration is sending Joe Biden to New Guinea to discuss trade opportunities. New Guinea ? Is there a more remote place on earth? We'll send them Apple computers; they'll send us shrunken heads?
    Every time a new crisis emerges the Administration "mothballs" this guy.

It will be interesting to see what effect Trump's conviction on civil charges of sexual abuse has on his popularity. I suspect he will increase his lead in the polls.

George Santos' ridiculous tenure in Congress may be coming to an end.

Bud Light sales now down 23% Other AB brands going south as well Coors Light and Miller Light have increased proportionately. Marketing 101: Know your customers !

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I can't understand why so many on the left can't see that this is bad for our country. They always tell me that we are all son's/daughters of immigrants. That may be true but this border rush is not what immigration was back then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Immigration is on my short list of pressing national issues that need comprehensive solutions. At it's simplest our economic growth potential is the sum of population growth and productivity growth. In the last 20 years, productivity growth has only been 1.4% per year. Our population growth is forecast to be less than 1/2 % per year and demographics are working against us. Bottom line.....economic growth potential caps out at less that 2% per year. We need sound immigration policies to provide us the labor supply necessary to propel our economic growth engine at rates in excess of 2%. It ain't rocket science, it's a pressing structural economic priority but my guess is that both the left and the right will continue to preach dogma so that they can raise money to campaign, gain political favor and then use it put forth extreme policy designs that have no chance of passage but will enable them to preach dogma, raise money and campaign incessantly rather than govern/lead...and so it goes.....and all the while our economy can't grow in excess of 1.5% and the Chinese will continue at 3x that rate

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

We spend tens of millions of dollars on customs and immigration at our ports of entry especially those on the coasts. We check passports and luggage of people entering this country from Europe, Asia and Australia but literally millions stroll across our Southern border. Obviously the policy is to check immigration from those places while encouraging unskilled, uneducated, unvaccinated and unvetted Latinos to enter our country.
    Our birthrate is lower for a number of reasons. Many of todays youth think that the world is ending and they don't want to have kids. In places like NY City there are more aborted black babies than those born alive. Marriage in the early 20's is becoming rarer and rarer.
    Our country is in trouble in so many ways. Our alliances are weakening as traditional allies doubt our resolve as a result of our fleeing from Afghanistan. Meanwhile our own armed forces are becoming less and less powerful. Enlistments are down caused by vaccination demands and loss of confidence in leadership. Supplies are low drained by continual aid to Ukraine. China threatens Taiwan and we have little strength to thwart their aggression.
    Maybe worse of all is the beginning of the end of the dollar as the standard world currency. Once again China is in the forefront of the attack, reaching trade deals in the Yuan rather than the dollar with Brazil and Saudi Arabia. The main damage to the dollar or course was the massive spending bills generated in the last Congress. The Fed was slow to react initially calling it transitory and they now or quickly raising interest rates damaging the construction industry, the commercial real estate industry and catching many poorly managed banks with declining assets. The cost to service our debt is approximately half a trillion dollars a year. That's money that could be used on infrastructure, defense, cancer research and other things that benefit our country. Is there any greed worse than that which steals from future generations?

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

So stop. Draw the line. Get going again.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I didn't watch the Town Hall but all the talk is about how well Kaitlan Collins did with handling Trump. I saw the clip where before answering the question he called her a nasty person.

7. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Does it bother anybody else that the House Oversight Committee has discovered 10 million dollars flowing from foreign countries, mostly China, through 20 shell companies to various members of the Biden family? These corporations have no other purpose except to launder money and help evade taxes. We've seen the China initiative where the FBI was investigating Chinese infiltration of universities and corporations, discontinued immediately when the Biden administration took over. We've seen oil from our Petroleum Reserve sold to China. We've seen mining of copper and nickel shut down by the administration, minerals needed for EVs, to the benefit of China. We've seen a Chinese spy balloon travel across our country for days sending back information about our military installations unimpeded. It's as though the battle cry of Washington is "Make China great!"
    Perhaps even worse, our "government watchdog" media hardly reported this at all.
    And all the while we hear ad nauseum "No one is above the law" and "they have to pay their FAIR SHARE" by corrupt racketeers who evade paying any taxes.

8. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

It bothers the hell outta me.
    The entire Fed govt should be purged.
    All elected officials should get a couple terms, then out.
    All get paid like jury duty - no PENSIONS!
    No buying or selling stocks while in office.

This F'ing aristocracy that's been created needs to be torn down.

9. BuckeyeT

It was an epic sh!t show....as young (31) and inexperienced as she is, I thought she maintained an admirable degree of poise and professionalism under the circumstances. She's an extremely talented young lady with a very bright future. Yes, he did insult her after she was forced to continue to point out to him his tortured, and more often than not bizarre, relationship with the truth

Last edited: May 11, 2023
  10. BuckeyeT

No doubt the southern border is a disaster, but I'm more concerned with the structural impediments facing our economy that we need more comprehensive immigration reform to address. We require material productivity improvements to keep pace with the Chinese. At present there are 163,000 open jobs for software engineers in the US and the demand is growing by 60,000 new jobs a year. Our colleges graduate 30,000 a year, of which a good percentage of those are international students. The trend in our immigration policy debates has been to toss 'em aside after they graduate and send them back home. Our H1B visa program has a limit of on 65,000 total, of which only 40,000 are allocated to engineers. Foreign talent is vital to help fill the gap. Taken all together, the net result is the numbers don't work....the hole gets bigger. The technology brain gap with the Chinese and India widens. Our productivity improvement requires these skilled young people here in the US, tech companies continue to want to invest and innovate on our shore.....without the brains, there will be no productivity improvement. All the while.....China and India graduate over 400,000 computer science engineers per year. No doubt US educated engineers are more skilled but the numbers are difficult to overcome.

Above and beyond the southern border problem, comprehensive and meaningful immigration reform is a strategic and structural economic priority for us, yet the politicos only want to spend their time and energy pissing on each other over the southern border. In the meantime, US productivity improvements remain brain constrained at about 1/3 of the Chinese

11. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

The quality of the foreign student has changed in the past decade. Universities covet the foreign students because unlike instate students, they pay full tuition. However, while in the past these students excelled despite language difficulties, today's foreign students are often caught cheating on exams. Year's ago this just didn't happen. Although it doesn't seem apparent, there's a real change occurring in the Chinese culture.

12. BuckeyeT

We got to get them from somewhere, they ain't here and we're not making near enough. If they cheat or below par, throw em out and get more, but we have no alternative we need bodies or growth will be materially constrained or the demand for them will gravitate to where there is adequate supply. We need our lawmakers to look beyond their next fund raising sound bite to their base

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. BuckeyeT

14. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I wish there was someone who could make the Donald understand he is the WORST thing for the Republican side right now. He will fully galvanize opposition from folks who otherwise might be swayed to vote against the crazy Dems. And as mentioned in the article, it will trickle out into other elections like it did at the mid terms.
    I will support whoever the candidate is, and I'm very much hoping it's not Donald... so this country has a chance at not completely unraveling.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

As a two time Trump voter I will say now that I will not vote for him under any circumstances. If I had to vote right now it would be for Ramaswamy; to me, he is far and away the most sensible and articulate candidate to date.
    I'll give the devil his due; Trump steamrolled the CNN host at the Town Hall.

On another topic, why do Blacks not realize how they are being marginalized and erased from the equation? Already a distant third at 12% of the population in the US, the gap widens daily. Their leaders all use the same tactic; they portray them as constant victims, unable to exist without aid. Headstart points on exams. dumbed-down curriculums, every conceivable form of financial aid, housing etc. Now the reparations boondoggle seems to be gathering momentum as they portray themselves as continuing helpless victims of a practice that ended 157 years ago. The avalanche of Hispanics will swallow them whole because of their victimization mindset.

16. BuckeyeT

I'm curious as to why one would find that laudable? It wasn't a debate. Why is it a good thing to "steamroll" the host of an event to which you were invited? I would think it reflects poorly to even attempt to do so. It's not as if it that would be difficult to do given that one has some degree of civility and an obligation to play by the rules for the event established by their employer and one has not a shred of civility, rules are for other people and do not apply and continually efforts to spew forth volcanoes of unfiltered and complete bullsh!t.

I do agree with you about not voting for him under any circumstance. I'd be leaning towards Sununu if he runs or Hutchinson if he doesn't at this point. I hope he does as we need new young blood leading the party and leave the stupidity behind

17. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I didn't not watch the CNN "town hall" however I've heard that the questions raised by the poor brow beaten interviewer were not about the current issues weighing on voters minds but rather dredging up Jan. 6th and other things of the past.
    Wash. DC is no longer a swamp, it's a cesspool. The DOJ especially the FBI and administrations like the EPA are hopelessly infected with progressive climate worshipers. I don't think that the latest member of a multi-generational political family like Sununu is what's needed. I have a lot of respect for Ramaswarmy but he's way to nice for the job that's needed. He does dislike the ESG movement though.
    Ironically just about any Republican but Trump is electable. I'd like to see Ted Cruz run again. He's got enough nastiness to get the job done. Next to Senator Kennedy, he impresses me the most.

18. BuckeyeT

Somebody's not giving you the full scoop Gip....I cant imagine that it's not relevant to an election discussion to ask one about alleged election fraud if one of the candidates is under investigation from multiple jurisdictions, both state and federal, for election fraud.

But as for Collins, her first question to him was:

COLLINS: Why should Americans put you back in the White House?

The first two questions from audience members were:
    1) SCOTT DUSTIN, WORKS IN INSURANCE LITIGATION: Hi, President Trump.
    TRUMP: Hi, Scott.
    DUSTIN: Will you suspend polarizing talk of election fraud during your run for president?, and,

2) WAYNE BEYER, RETIRED ATTORNEY: Thank you for coming, Mr. President.
    TRUMP: Thank you, Wayne.
    BEYER: My question to you is: will you pardon the January 6th rioters who were convicted of federal offenses?
    TRUMP: I am inclined to pardon many of them. I can’t say for every single one because a couple of them, probably, they got out of control.

He spent the majority of his time spewing forth demonstrable bullsh!t and she spent her time telling the audience, as even Trump acknowledged she was instructed, that what he was saying was not truthful.... all the makings of an epic sh!tshow. It worked

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 13, 2023
  19. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Honestly T I'm just not ready for 2024 yet. The election is a year and a half away, there hasn't been a primary, a debate and only 2 candidates announced. The CNN spectacle was aimed more at those consumed with hating Trump than legitimate pre election fact finding. Oh and they finally got some ratings.
    Inflation is really bad for my budget. They're coming for my car, my stove and soon my dryer. I've got to pay higher mortgage fees because I have GOOD credit. They want me to pay reparations. Trips to major cities seem like taking one's life in one's own hands. Almost half the population pays no federal income tax and those that do aren't paying THEIR fair share. Our country is being overrun by unidentified hoards from the south and I'm supposed to waste my time watching a Sh!tshow?

• Like Like x 1
  20. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

MAGA MAGA MAGA!!!!