Other bowls.... thanks for playing

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Thought I would start this thread because most of us here are in the "others playing bowls" category.
    It looks like Florida will get Virginia in the Orange Bowl..... a bowl game that in years past was a pretty big deal.... a good reward for a very good season.
    Now we get a team that won't even be ranked to play but that's just as well because the Gators have already lost their top corner CJ Henderson to the NFL and I am quite sure some other top players will not be participating as well for Florida.
    The whole scenario is not what it used to be for any team not included in the top 4.

2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

MCG, I want you to mark this down: "I agree with you" :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Motorcity Gator

KP what's going to happen to the sport of college football when it's stars start getting injured in the physical playoffs and subsequently lose out on NFL money because of it?
    I see some players opting out of the playoffs if this begins to happen with regularity such as what happened to Georgia yesterday with all of their in game injuries.

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

MCG, I don't know where college football is headed? Between transfers and opting out of games, I don't like the direction. I think it will probably end up hurting the players that aren't headed to the NFL.

5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I'm with you KP but what might be the death knell of the sport will be the money legally paid for endorsements. NFL money is already ruining lesser bowl games, endorsement money will completely disrupt recruiting.

6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Gipper, you are correct. Endorsement money is going to really help programs in big markets and top ranked teams. College teams already have built in turnover. If instead of moving to the NFL, players begin moving to higher visibility schools, they will lose me as a fan. I hope it doesn't come to that.

7. Motorcity Gator

I see a crisis building for college football..... the sport I have always enjoyed watching more than any other.
    Unless they build in mandatory participation rules that are enforceable how will you ensure that Joe Burrow and Chase Young et. al. stay on the field and play their hardest when NFL millions beckons?

8. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I know this Dave, if you look past Virginia, they are good enough to beat you regardless of how many of your NFL talents are on the field. You guys aren't Clemson. They remind me a lot of you guys with Franks at QB. You've become a better team without him, but they're a very good defensive team. They have a superior coach. Their offense is totally dependent on their QB being an athlete though.

9. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

10. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Our best DB CJ Henderson has declared for the draft and will not play in our bowl game.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I often wonder what the players think about all these other bowls. Do they like playing in them. To the fans some fan groups are happy to see their team in a meaningless bowl, and some fan groups (ND fans for sure) are pissed that their team is in a Tier 3 Bowl game vs an unranked team. They'd just as soon the team stayed home. What about the players? You know the coaches like going to a bowl game, it gives them more practice time with the players.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Longhorn Bowl Notes• The 2019 Valero Alamo Bowl will mark UT’s 56th all-time bowl appearance, the second-most in college football history. The Longhorns own a bowl record of 29-24-3. It will be Utah’s 24th bowl appearance all-time. The Utes own a bowl record of 17-6.
    • Texas and Utah will meet for the second time time, with UT winning the programs’ lone other matchup, 21-12, back in 1982.

• Texas will be playing a current member of the Pac-12 Conference for the 11th time in a bowl game this year. The Longhorns are 6-4 against the Pac-12 in bowl games and 1-1 in the Alamo Bowl. Oregon and Washington are Texas’ most common Pac-12 opponents, with both schools facing the Longhorns on two occasions.
    • This year’s Alamo Bowl will be UT’s four all-time appearance in the game. The Longhorns are 2-1 in the Alamo Bowl, with their last appearance being the 2013 Alamo Bowl vs. Oregon, which saw the Ducks come out on top, 30-7. The Horns won the 2012 Alamo Bowl over Oregon State, 31-27, and bested Iowa, 26-24, back in the 2006 edition.
    • The 2019 Valero Alamo Bowl will mark Texas’ third-straight bowl game appearance, UT’s first time going to three consecutive bowl games since 2012-14.

13. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I was reading up on the bowl SWAG for SEC teams, not a bad haul.

14. Motorcity Gator

• Like Like x 1
  15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

A little silver lining in what is a disappointing dark cloud is that the ND game is being played in Orlando. If an ND family wanted to do a little vacation around a bowl game, this is a good opportunity. First, If you're from up north, the weather will be pretty good. Average highs are in the low 70's, not great swimming weather but really nice to visit attractions like Disney or Universal Studios. Attending the game should be pretty easy, I doubt that ticket demand will be much. I hope that the team gets to spend a little time after the bowl in the area. It might make for a nice little vacation for the kids.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Motorcity Gator

Gipper the Camping World Bowl committee couldn't have stated it better....:)

17. Terry O'Keefe

There are going to be mostly empty seats at all of these bowl games. I can't imagine UVA fans flocking to the Orange Bowl after the beat down that Clemson administered to them, and even though it's a short drive for UF fans I doubt if they alone can fill up the stadium.

Baylor fans are excited about the Sugar Bowl, but that is not a big fanbase. I wonder if the UGA fans who do travel well will be excited to make the trip to New Orleans.

Rose Bowl is the Rose Bowl so I expect that Wisconsin Fans will show up in their usual numbers and it will be a sellout.

The Tier 3 bowls like the Camping World Bowl just will be at best 1/2 full.

18. kp

kp Well-Known Member

It looks.like.Right now Alabama will have 2 defensive starters not playing in the bowl game. Not good news for our defense.

19. Motorcity Gator

Catching Michigan in a bowl game this year I suspect will be a whole lot more difficult after the beat down Florida gave them last year. The Wolverines were NFL short-handed in that game and will have no sympathy for a similarly short-handed Tide defense.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Watching the 2005 Rose Bowl. Texas v Michigan. Great game, sometimes you can forget how great an Athlete Vince Young was back then.

• Agree Agree x 1