One and done?

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by George Krebs, Jul 21, 2010.

1. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

We can only hope at this point but it appears that the "annointed one" has lost much of his base. Of course, it's Bush's fault :lol:

A year after President Barack Obama's political honeymoon ended, his job approval rating has dropped to a negative 44 - 48 percent, his worst net score ever, and American voters say by a narrow 39 - 36 percent margin that they would vote for an unnamed Republican rather than President Obama in 2012, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today.

This compares to a 48 - 43 percent approval for Obama in a May 26 national poll by the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University and a 57 - 33 percent approval last July, just before the political firestorm created by opposition to his health care plan galvanized political opponents and turned independent voters against him.

In this latest survey of more than 2,000 voters, independent voters disapprove of Obama 52 - 38 percent and say 37 - 27 percent they would vote for a Republican contender in 2012.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1295.xml?ReleaseID=1478

2. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

The interesting part about that is that my 75 year old father....who was a staunch Republican for the last 40 years.....and a citizen of a GOP voting state...Florida....voted for Obama over McCain because of one thing and one thing only......healthcare.

Explain that one......

And by the way....he has an IQ of 149 and will be the first one to tell you so.

He was a senior executive in the trucking business for decades and he is still pretty sharp.

Why Obamacare over Bush "I don't care you are screwed care"?

3. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I know very few senior citizens who feel that funding Obama care by pirating 500 billion dollars from medicare is in their best interest. Then again, most don't have IQs of 149 they just know when their pocket is being picked.

4. Motorcity Gator

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/aug/14/barack-obama/obama-claims-medicare-benefits-will-not-be-cut-und/

Did AARP remove their endorsement of the bill?

That's a pretty big group of seniors....possibly even bigger than the group you know Gipper..... :D

5. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I wouldn't count him out, first of all the Republicans will need to have a candidate that unites the party and has ideas that attracts the independents. Right now I don't know who that person will be, if we don't have a strong candidate and McCain was not a strong candidate, then we will lose again.

Remember Clinton suffered significant losses in the Congress in his first midterm election, his attempt to have his wife as an unelected person head up the healthcare reform was a very unpopular move, his peccadillos with women were more and more apparent, and so were his financial dealings that lead to the Whitewater investigation. Yet because the Republicans did not have a strong candidate (Bob Dole) who united them and attracted independents votes were syphoned off by Ross Perot again and Clinton was re-elected.

Obama is a powerful campaigner and if the economy is doing well by 2012 he will be difficult to beat.

6. George Krebs

Dave,

I'm sure your pop is a smart guy. And he'll have plenty of time to re-think his decision as he waits and waits and waits for his doctor appointment.

7. Motorcity Gator

On the other hand.....

"But experts told us it's conceivable or even likely that those financial changes could lead to reduced benefits, particularly for people in the Advantage program. From that perspective, it's a stretch for Obama say that Medicare patients won't see changes in their plans as a result. We give Obama a Half True."

Gotta keep trying this site. Looks like maybe they do attempt to be objective in their answers.

Terry, the GOP does not....and probably will not have the sort of strong enough character to get a general across the board mandate and the Tea Party is very potentially the "Perot" factor that could undermine their efforts in what should be a tight election.

I wouldn't vote for any Tea Party crap.....wouldn't vote for the irrefudiatealbe Palin either but I would always consider a true moderate....evena GOP one if they could ever trot one out there.

I know....Georgie was somewhat of a moderate but he allowed himself to be sucked up into the far right engine imho.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

All I can say with regards to that is did you see Obama as the strong, charismatic campaigner that he turned out to be in July 2006? Did you even think he would run, did you even know much about him or anything about him. When you heard he was going to run did you think he had a snowballs chance in hell against HRC?

9. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Gee Dave tens of thousands of former AARP members must not believe the Obama ******** about the Medicare theft
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/17/eveningnews/main5247916.shtml

Now why would AARP back a program that is detrimental to its members. Well if you read this article you'll see why.
    http://www.latimes.com/sns-200911050804mctnewsservbc-aarp-con-mct1084nov0,0,5551149.story

The group of seniors I know are smart enough to follow the money. :eek:

10. Motorcity Gator

I did not see Obama as having a ghost of a chance vs. HRC.

Still hard to believe how that one happened.

11. George Krebs

Yeah, those dastardly Tea Party folks in their Dockers and plaid short sleeve shirts. They have the audacity to protest against onerous taxes and runaway spending ( two of Dave's favorite things )

Did you take a blow to the head or something? Christ, you bitch about not being able to find a good paying job and then turn around and join the mob who wants to tax the very people and companies into oblivion who might be able to offer you a job.

I'm convinced that you don't know what you want. But you are difficult to take seriously. Talking to you is like pissing into the wind.

12. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

No more moderates. McCain was a moderate and the independents wanted Obama instead. We tried that moderate Republican fiasco once. That was more than enough.

13. Motorcity Gator

George....maybe you are an exception.

My experiences in my life have shown me very greedy.....very self serving business owners who actually feel they owe nothing to no one.

The only reason I made the living that I made....the only reason is that I held the coins...I had the leverage as long as the senior account managers and the senior automotive marketing types were in place that I dealt with.

When those types of guys started to lose their jobs.....one by one....by one....over a two year span I began to twist in the wind because of the no leverage position I was sliding in to. ( time out....Gipper will not understand this kind of talk ) .

Trust me....no one gave a rats ass about me at my company when the going got desperate unless I had leverage.

We all need to get real.....this is where we have evolved.

And George....for the future.....when things get better....just remember in a paranoid sort of way that your employees know...better yet feel this whole shift has gone down with regard to the callous...disloyal attitude of employers and I doubt anyone will be as loyal to you as you feel they should be.

And you thought it was all about you...... :D

14. George Krebs

You have a victims mentality, Dave, that renders you pointless.

15. Motorcity Gator

George....it's just reality.

The trauma that my ex-coworkers have been put through is enormous.

I suspect my ex-boss just doesn't get the ramifications of that.

16. George Krebs

I was my own man for the first three years. So "sick" days and vacations were out of the question. When I hired my first employee, a buddy said now my job was twice as difficult because I had to worry about two people now instead of one.

You might be surprised to know that we "bosses" have stress too that does not end at 5:00P.

Try making a payroll sometime if you want to know what real stress is.

17. Motorcity Gator

George,

There was such a prevalence of careless greed in the days leading up to the crash that it's hard for some like me to believe that the "trickle down" theories will be effective.

In otherwords....keep the tax burden heavy on the middle class.....lighten the tax on the rich....and just watch those upper middle to rich spread those savings around back to the middle class in the way of jobs.

I don't see it happening.

Maybe if there were business tax breaks but heavier taxes on personal income for the rich then this might work.

18. George Krebs

19. Motorcity Gator

The bottom five:

Banks
    TV News ( the right hates mainstream media and the left hates Fox )
    Organized Labor
    Big Business
    HMOs
    Congress

Wow....no surprises with this bottom five.

20. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

When are you going to learn? "Taxing the rich" is just a feel-good slogan to justify spending, while in the meantime not generating nearly enough income to pay for the incredible debt we are piling up.

They are going to not just tax the rich...they are going to tax us all. It's all well and good to say "If you earn less than fill-in-the-blank" your taxes will not go up. Yeah, maybe income tax. Meantime with cap-and-trade and value added taxes and increased government fees and expired tax breaks not being extended...the taxes you and I and everyone else pay are going to go up...big time. It's all a lie.

Worth a second look