OHIO STATE

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Don Ballard, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

When Justin Fields decided to transfer from Georgia to Ohio State, fans were ecstatic. Now that Mathew Baldwin has decided to transfer (Transfer Portal) closer to home (Texas), we are in an extremely precarious situation at QB. No doubt the new transfer procedure is going to effect a large number of teams down the road. All of these youngsters want to play right now and not later.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I saw that Don, what does your depth chart look like at QB?

3. Don Ballard

Not very good Terry, a West Virginia QB who was designed to be the 4th backup and a walk-on with absolutely no experience. With Haskins declaring for the draft, Burrow and Martel both gone, we are in an unbelievable situation at the moment. Day wants to bring in someone with experience and having two years of eligibility remaining, no easy task in my opinion!

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah, this kind of moving around is the problem I have with professional sports.

5. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

So... what ever happened to that rule about graduating a certain amount of your players or you get penalized by the NCAA? As I recall... transfers counted against you. Did the NCAA kill that off? If not this new world order is going to hurt almost all schools.

6. Terry O'Keefe

It certainly is going to make it hard to build any depth for your team,esp at qb. It used to be that you had a QB in every class and they waited their time to start. Sure sometimes a young guy would jump over the upper class guy, but that guy didn't automatically just bail and transfer. Now it seems like if you aren't the starter at QB you're gone unless the guy in front of you is graduating. Makes me wonder what is going to happen at ND, we have a young guy from Pa who had a terrific HS career was red shirted last year and is going to be the backup in 2019. Thing is the guy, Ian Book, who is the starter has 2 seasons left. I won't be surprised if Jurkovec transfers this summer.

7. Terry O'Keefe

FWIW, some of the things that have gone on were IMHO unfair to kids. I don't think it was right when the school got to dictate where the kid could transfer, with the portal that is out and the kid can explore transfer without having to go behind the backs of everybody at the current school. But it looks like more kids are taking advantage of this than ever before. Coaches have to take all of this into consideration when building the squad, a position you think you are solid at can go downhill after transfers.

8. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

9. Terry O'Keefe

that is a good, but long, explanation.

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

The fact of the matter that if underclassmen are allowed unrestricted transfers the college game is changed forever. It will free up my Saturdays in the fall.

11. Don Ballard

Some of my close senior friends were discussing this situation at the coffee shop this morning. It is amazing all of the changes that have occurred in our lifetime involving sports in general. Not all for the good either. Maybe it is just part of the ageing process?:eek:

12. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

"Yeah, this kind of moving around is the problem I have with professional sports

Me too Kp.... especially the NBA and MLB..... those teams rarely have any long term identity because of all of the shifting around in free agency etc.

13. Terry O'Keefe

I see that the NCAA rejected changing the rules on graduate transfers. They were considering making it so if the player doesn't complete his masters program they get docked a scholarship. Reality is many of them don't complete their Masters program and likely if they are 1 year players they don't even attend the Spring semester. I'll bet their course load in the fall semester is very light to say the least.

I'm all for the grad transfers and let them go where ever they want even if that team is on your schedule next year. They earned it IMHO. But I do think they should be actual students working towards a degree and not just hired guns for 1 semester. Heck they would not even have to enroll for the Spring semester as it doesn't start till after all the bowl games are played.

14. Don Ballard

I was disappointed when I read that Terry. Looks like the barn doors are open now?

15. Terry O'Keefe

A couple of other rules did pass.

1. if you are enrolled in summer school and your coach leaves before the start of classes in the fall semester, you can transfer with immediate eligibility. I guess the only 2 reasons would be a.) he died or b.) he got caught in some sort of scandal and was fired.

2. Walk on players can now transfer with immediate eligibility. Again not going to have much impact, but there was one player, Baker Mayfield, who was a walkon at Texas Tech and transferred after his 1st year to OU and had to sit out a year. He'd have been immediately eligible to play. The interesting thing is had Baker been able to play in 2014 he'd have been out of eligibility in 2017 when he beat Ohio State in Columbus and planted that flag, and he'd have not won the Heisman Trophy, probably wouldn't have been the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft. History would have been changed.

16. Don Ballard

Interesting observation and Mayfield would not have been able to plant that Oklahoma Flag in our midfield garden! LOL!:(

17. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Who's Baker Mayfield?....nevah Hoid of the bum..

18. Stu Ryckman

19. Terry O'Keefe

He'd better be worth it, and he'd better stay healthy! QB rooms all over college football are pretty sparse. Texas in the same boat, one starter and everybody else is a who's he and never taken a snap. Irish have a returning starter and a former highly ranked HS kid who has no experience to speak of and didn't play esp well in the Spring game.

20. Stu Ryckman

Yeah...Spencer's last point in the article is that everybody is pretty much in the same boat.