Ohio State...who'd have thought it?

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Stu Ryckman, Jun 9, 2024.

1. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Ohio State Football's 5 year APR (Academic Progress Rate for academic Eligibility, retention, and graduation) score was a perfect 1000. One of only 2 programs with a perfect score, the other being (wait for it)...Harvard.

Ohio States cross sport score (31 programs) was 989.

Notre Dame led the way in terms of programs with 16 programs having a perfect score. Harvard had 15, Duke 14, NC State 11. Ohio State had 8.

My Boilermakers fared 51st for football with a 976. KP's Crimson Tide were second to OSU with 997. Team Up North was 7th (tie) with 993. Notre Dame 9th (tie) at 992.

Not sure what measurement you shoot for but I think that anything above 990 is considered quite good.

https://collegefootballnews.com/new...r-ranking-of-all-134-college-football-schools

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Stu, the university has made significant improvements in recent years and I am happy to see the the results. More importantly all sports seem to be involved.

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

And Alabama is second. Come on, y’all know you were surprised. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

One of the things I've always noticed when these things come out, at least at Notre Dame. That is that the minor sports, esp the women's minor sports do great academically. 100% grad rate seems to be the norm for those sports. I assume that is also true at Ohio State, and other schools.

I have to assume that the big driver in this is that in those minor sports there really isn't gold at the end of the rainbow (their college careers) and they have to be serious about academics and get their degree. Sure there is Pro-lacrosse but it can't pay much and not a lot of people can make money. Same for softball and for most college baseball players, there are women's soccer leagues and again not a lot of money there. Field hockey, swimming, track and field, etc very few are going make a living.

Also to Don's point about Ohio State investing more in this area, all schools should be doing that as they have more money coming in with the big contracts that the Power 4 are getting. It shouldn't all go into massive and excessive training facilities. Put some serious money into preparing these athletes for life after their collegiate careers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1