Ohio State vs. UCLA

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Guest, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Those rotten terrorists have certainly taken a shine off of this football season, but we'll try to get in the mood.

Tom Silver, meself and Dave Francis are all going to this game, so I'll report on what I saw. Last year, you may recall that I reported on the Michigan-UCLA game and said that WR's David Terrell [UM] and Freddy Mitchell [UCLA] were 'uncoverable' on that level and my biggest surprise was the 'great' Michigan line. In the NFL draft, Terrell and Mitchell were the first two WR's taken and 3 UM linemen went in the first 15 picks. I'll try to repeat that analytical coup:]

The Buckeyes have a lot to prove. They have a new coach and loads of very young talent, thats getting it's first road test.

Those never shy lads in Hollywood, on the other hand, are quietly talking NC and world domination if they don't get any injuries. We'll know a lot more about both teams after Saturday and I'll report on what I saw...

...JO'Co

PS. I just got a email warning from the UCLA ticket office to get there early, because of all the added security. No more backpacks or sneaking flasks into the game. Those days are gone.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

The stadium has yet to be built that I can't sneak a flask into. Unless they come up with a device that can detect plastic tubes and liquid the bar is always open in my section.

As an Irishman I'm shocked that you don't possess similar skills...

3. Guest

Guest Guest

As an Irishman, my skills tend to erode before I ever get to the gate, as the booze never makes it out of the parking lot...

4. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Two weeks ago I made a pilgrimage to the home of my birth-Dayton, Ohio. On Sept. 8 I found myself in the old Horseshoe, Ohio Stadium for the season opener against the mighty Akron Zips. A delerious crowd of 102,600 awaited an orgy of Buckeye TDs.
    But they never came. The final score was 28-14 but it was much closer than that. Akron gave them 14 points.
    OSU has a very ordinary O-Line and D-Line. Their QB situation is only slightly better than the Irish. Running game is so-so. Tressel has a lot of work to do. Definitely not a Top 25 team. UCLA should win going away.

5. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

JO'Co and all,

my heart says the Buckeyes will surprise, my head says wait and see.

Defensively this is a good football team and will give the UCLAns a real test. Our issues are on the offensive side of the football. A very average O-line that has real depth issues compounds the problem of very inconsistent QB play...if the offense gets some degree of rhythm and success early and avoids turnovers, the Buckeyes will win this football game. If the O-line can't protect or establish any semblance of a running game, the QB will be forced into bad decisions, TO's and the Buckeyes will fall short.

I'm looking forward to a great intersectional game!

God Bless America!

Terry '78 Go Bucks! O-H!

6. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Buckeye fans are always expecting an undefeated season here in Columbus! [​IMG]

Foster is going to be a load to handle. I just hope we can keep the game close to the final quarter and get a for a few breaks as well.

Don

7. Don Ballard

I really could not make up my mind as what to expect yesterday with the Bruins. Unfortunately, it was much worse than I anticipated for the Buckeyes.

We are back to ground zero, no QB and an unpredictable kicking game, with the exception of Andy Groom, who was brillant.

UCLA tried to give the game away time and time again. They played great defense and have very quick people flying to the ball at all times.

The Buckeyes did an excellent job controlling Foster, but third down converions killed us. (1-14)

It was probably the most pathetic display of offensive football for Ohio State I have ever witnessed.

Will be interested in the thoughts of others, once everyone has recovered! [​IMG]

Don

8. cropdr3

cropdr3 New Member

Don

I don't ever remember a time when Ohio State could just hand off and run right through anybody. They just passed because they were bored with passing.

I didn't watch much of the game, (I had Michigan State - Notre Dame) and was just channel switching during commercials,etc. and doing some actual work on the computer.

I just can't believe Ohio State doesn't have the talent for a decent running game.

Good luck the rest of the season. Ohio State and Penn State are huge mysteries to me.

------------------
    Paul in Champaign

9. BuckeyeT

Don,

not much different than I feared. The defense was outstanding. The offense...well, this O-line the last 2-3 years is as bad as any I remember in the 40 years I've been following the Buckeyes. The skill position players are just not good enough to overcome. If anybody can remember the QB having the opportunity to make his drop, read and throw just once without someone in his face or at his feet or running for his life I must have missed it....Stevie can struggle enough on his own, this O-line could make a Marino look bad.

Terry '78 Go Bucks! O-H!

10. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I've not been a Bellasari basher, though he has never shown me much to make me want to argue with his detractors.

When Tressel decided Bellasari was gonna be the starter this year I thought "ok, we'll just give him a chance in the new system"...

But who now thinks that this marvelously gifted and tough athlete belongs at the QB position? Not me.

If he starts again, I've gotta either question Tressel's judgement or (shudder) think that the alternative QB's are worse.

stu

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Since I was at the ND/MSU game I didn't get a chance to see the UCLA/Ohio State game. But when I saw that Bellesari was 5-23 for 40yds I knew the offense must have stunk. It looks like the Bucks could be in for a long year, maybe not as long as the Irish or the Nit's though.

This could be a year for them something like the '86 year was for us a year where we struggled and fought to 5 wins, but the foundation was laid for big things to come.

I think Tressel is laying the foundation and he doesn't have all the bricks and mortar that he needs just yet but it's comming with the great recruiting class that he has comming in this year.

Terry

12. tom silver

tom silver New Member

Not much to add except I want to commend the OSU and UCLA fans who attended the game.

Lots of spirit on both sides but total civility. I was especially pleased at the thousands of OSU fans who turned out and cheered their arses off.

Tressel will right the ship, patience is a virtue.

13. cropdr3

cropdr3 New Member

Stu

Bellasari is a lot like the Illini's Christian Morton. Morton was an outstanding quarterback in high school and is the most highly touted recruit of Turner's tenure.

The Illini played him at quarterback for two seasons, but it became apparent that though he was the best athlete on the Illini roster, he just didn't have the accuracy in the passing game to be a consistent quarterback.

Last spring Morton moved to defensive back - the result - though extremely inexperienced at the position, last Saturday he intercepted two passes returning one for a touchdown.

------------------
    Paul in Champaign

[This message has been edited by cropdr3 (edited 09-24-2001).]

14. BuckeyeT

Stu and all,

Inconsistent is perhaps a bit of an understatement with respect to our QB's performance...the opening game saw him being named the Big 10 Offensive Player of the Week!

When he has time, he can perform...when he doesn't, boy does it get ugly!!

Terry '78 Go Bucks! O-H!

15. Don Ballard

All,

In fairness to Steve, he really had very little time to set up and look for receivers.

While I thought we might be better on the offensive line, I now have my reservations.

Bellisari chose to throw on a couple of occassions that proved to be about like what happened last year.

Maybe McMullen is not ready and JT did not want to destroy his confidence.

I will give it another week before jumping to any definite conclusions.

Don

16. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Well, with all due respect, I'm gonna jump to conclusions, jump ship, jump rope, jump off the bandwagon, and jump the gun.

Steve is a senior...he's had too much experience to be making those poor decisions, porous line or not...

He's had some games where he's done well, but usually against second rate teams.

Haven't seen him come back and make the big play in times of adversity.

May not matter much who plays QB this year...but I sure hate to see that defensive effort wasted.

Hope I'm wrong...hope he comes back and proves me wrong.

stu

17. BuckeyeT

Stu and all,

no doubt Belli made some poor decisions and poor throws but in terms of finding the weak link, our offense is a "target rich environment." This O-line is miserable. In my years following the Bucks, I can recall worse QB play, I can't recall worse O-line play. It's clear we have many issues on the offensive side of the football.

Terry '78 Go Bucks! O-H!