Notre Dame Winter.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I thought I'd start a new topic to talk about Irish Basketball both women and men and the last month of football recruiting.

Irish Men are doing well, typical Brey team very mature, good passers etc. Jack Cooley for a white guy who can't jump, is an outstanding player in the Brey system. We are an NCAA team, maybe we could make it to the sweet 16 but that's about as far as we can hope.

Irish Women though are top 5 and could certainly make it to another final 4. They need to stay healthy of course. But sweet 16 would be the min level this team should achieve.

Irish recruiting. Should be an outstanding class if everybody we have a verbal from signs a LOI, top 5 for sure. If we get Eddie Vanderdoes that's like the Cherry on top. I think he's the last guy who we have a shot at, there are some other names that come up but I don't think we have a real shot at them.

2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

This is an appropriate topic for some interesting information on ND football, courtesy of the ND Media Relations office:

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Those are the 2 most impressive stats!

4. Terry O'Keefe

Multiple reports of Kelly talking to the Eagles. I can't imagine he'll leave, but he'll talk and Swarbrick will give him an extension and a raise.

Bob Stoops was a master at that game, his name was always coming up with regards to Notre Dame and Florida. I think Bill was certain that he was going to be the guy when they hired Zook. He always got a raise from OU.

When Alabama was looking and interviewed Rodriguez he got a big raise to stay at WVA.

5. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I don't know all the specifics obviously since I'm not either Kelly or Jack.. but if Kelly did this without Jack's knowledge, I can't imagine he's not in a **** ton of trouble.

To be fair, if that's the case or if he winds up leaving, I'd offer an open purse to either Golden or Strong. I wouldn't mess with Stoops or any of those other pics. Those would be my two candidates.. not that anyone asked.

I've actually been meaning to talk about the game more. I wanted to give KP a full few days of celebration without cluttering the board with other items (which will include the castration of Dave).. but then other more important items came up and I've been occupied with those things.. So in the event I don't get to check back, that's my position on the above subject.

It's a dick move.. in a best case scenario, this guy just put himself in a position to have to salvage his own recruiting class... seriously, amateur hour ******** even if he returns.

6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Thanks Corey, but its difficult to talk about the game with this :D on my face!

7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

kp, the happy face avatar has taken on a whole new meaning. :lol:

8. Terry O'Keefe

Kelly interviewing with the Eagles has certainly caused a firestorm amongst ND fans, and really I don't blame anybody. I don't think he's leaving myself and that this is all about his contract and an extension.

But I can understand the angst of most fans, he had a great season, inspite of the big loss to Alabama, and the future looks very bright with a great recruiting class coming in Feb. I don't think anybody expected this right after the BCS championship game. If he were to actually take the Eagles job if offered, it would really be a blow to the program. There might be a few defections from the recruits, but it's pretty late and most would stay. When Butch Davis left Miami for the Browns the timing was about the same and I don't think they had a mass exodus. Same for Lane Kiffin leaving for USC.

But it certainly puts the whole program in a tough position. It's very late to start trying to find a new coach and promoting from within would be risky. Chuck Martin would be the only guy qualified and I'm not so sure he's really qualified to be the HC at ND.

9. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Let's write a letter to the Eagles and get them to hire Saban. :)

10. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Regarding Kelly, I just can't see him serious about the Eagles job. I have to laugh at people questioning the timing. The NFL season just ended. A number of positions have opened up and teams are trying to find the best person that they can as quickly as they can. This is the coach interviewing season.
    I'm not sure about Swarbrick's view on the matter but I seem to remember him being somewhat interested in the head position at the NCAA some time back. He might be getting some sauce for the gander.
    In any event, what will be will be. I'm sure that there a a ton of Cincy fans hoping that we get our sauce too.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Bill there was a lot of talk on Texas boards about Saban moving to Austin after the NC game. When he called a press conference the next day everybody was sure that he was announcing that he was resigning at Alabama and moving to Texas. Of course that didn't happen, but there really was a lot of talk about it on Texas boards.

12. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Whether he is trying to squeeze the administration for a few million more or not, his timing could not possibly be worse. And there is precedent.....

One story had him meeting with the Eagles the same night as the NC game. In any case, I would be putting Charlie Strong on speed dial immediately.

13. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah it's bad timing, esp since really this year he just got over the hump with the fans. While lots of fans thought he did a good job the 1st 2 years, lots of fans think he didn't. This year was sort of make or break for him....well he made it big, up until Monday night...but still the fans were largely forgiving and looking forward to the future with a lot of hope. Now in a short time he's burned through all those good feelings.

14. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Kelly

<t>Well I'll have to say this thing with Kelly looking st NFL teams is really the first time I can truly say he has pissed me off. He says he's "intrigued" by the possibility of being an NFL coach!!! he just went 12-1 and had the team in a NC game, has the #1 recruiting class and he's entertaining the idea of jumping to the NFL? Come on man!!! The only thing he needs to be intrigued by right now is getting ND back to the NC game and winning it!!! I honestly thought he was finally the right guy and would be the HC for 10yrs. Shows how nieve I am huh?</t>

15. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Now we understand how the Bearcat fans felt three years ago. He kept them in suspense for almost a month before he bailed.

16. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Tommy Tubesteak has a permanent home there. I don't see any team coming to hire him. Job hopping does not pump up the resume. Especially when it is not viewed as upward moves.

17. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

It is NFL coaching search time. Is there a better time to be looking for a job when employers are looking to fill spots? Is there a better time to look for a job after having a Coach of the Year season?
    As to the fans who pissed and moaned the 1st 2 years why bitch now? After all he's only had 1 "good" year.

18. Tennessee Tom

Mike,

Any coach knows that the "one good year" is just the tip of the iceberg. The amount of effort, teaching, and long hours that went into that year's success is the part of the iceberg that is under the waterline. Kelly has been just what the doctor ordered for Notre Dame. The fans that are pissed now can just turn their piss stream into the wind!

19. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah I get it that it's easier to find a job when you have a job and easier more so when you are doing that job very well.

I do think though that this year was the tipping point for Kelly, things were/are really set up nicely for him to win a lot of games the next few years. Of course he has to go out and make that happen.

I just thought that for Kelly that the ND job was the last stop if he was successful, I didn't think he'd be interested in the NFL. I'm more than a little blindsided and less forgving as the day goes on.

It's already cost us one recruit, Alex Anzalone has left the program and will enroll at Florida over this. Now this kid has been this years flip/flopper. He was with OSU, then ND, then took a visit to UF and supposedly decided that ND was for him after all and that would be his last move...well until this came up and he's out the door.

20. Tennessee Tom

Terry, a recruit that waffled more than eggos is not a good measuring stick for what other recruits may or may not do.