Notre Dame vs Virginia

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Irish back on the road, under the lights in Charlottesville to play the high flying Virginia Cavaliers.

They are the highest scoring team in the ACC, having scored 216 points so far this season. They have (if he plays) a prolific QB who will be the best QB we have faced this year in Brennan Armstrong. He's thrown for 3500 yds so far this year and is the same kind of threat running the ball as Sam Howell. He ran for almost 100 yards in each of his last 2 games vs BYU and Ga. Tech. Unfortunately for him, he injured his ribs vs BYU and they are keeping his status under wraps for the ND game.

They are in the hunt for the ACC Coastal Title and a trip to the ACC Championship game, so some are speculating that he might be held out of the ND game so that he doesn't reinjure those ribs and miss the very important Pitt game the following week.

Of course, they have had a week to prepare for the Irish, the ACC has made it a policy to schedule all ACC teams who play the Irish with a week off to prepare for the game. Pisses me off!

Kelly said that UVA has 3 terrific Wr's and a very good Grad Transfer TE ...so Irish defense will have their hands full. Kelly didn't say if Kyle Hamilton will play or not said that they won't know till later today after meeting with Doctors. Sounds to me like he's not playing.

The flip side for the great UVA offense is that they have allowed the most points this season of any ACC team. They gave up 59 points to UNC and 66 points to BYU. So this could very well become a shootout if Armstrong is 100% for the game on Saturday night.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Kelly today.

On QB Tyler Buchner:
    "I think where we're at the point where the role continues to expand even more to what we've seen. I think it's been in a box to a sense. I think this week we open it up even more and continue to expand it because we've seen really consistent performances. I think a little bit more during the week adds to his overall kind of influence in the game.”

WR Avery Davis:
    “The MRI came back with a torn ACL, so unfortunately we've lost Avery for the season. Very disappointed for him. He's having a great season. He'll have to make a decision for what he wants next. The COVID year. I think he was planning on going to the NFL. He'll have to make a decision. He'll be invited back if he chooses to do that.”

3. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Looks doubtful if you read between the line on the Coach's statement.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Pack your longjohns if you are going to Charlottesville for the game. It'll be in the mid 30's Sat night, but will be clear. :D

5. Terry O'Keefe

I think it was against Northwestern in 2018 that Book broke his ribs, missed the following game vs FSU when Brandon Wimbush made his final start in a ND uniform. It was a big win. Book was back for the Syracuse game. As I noted you wonder if Bronco Mendenhall will risk aggravating the injury vs ND when they have key ACC games coming up?

ON MANAGING KEY PLAYERS WITH INJURIES, INCLUDING IAN BOOK AND HIS BROKEN RIBS IN 2018…

“It's hard. It really was. We weren't even sure he could play, to be quite honest with you. It's like almost moment to moment decision. And our protections changed. We were in seven-man protection. We had three men out. We did a lot of things to try to protect him. And I will say this, it was truly, you want to talk about game day, it was warm ups in pre-game when he decided that he could give it a shot (at USC). You're like, 'Oh my God. We don't know?!?!' Yeah, it was that was difficult.”

ON H

6. Terry O'Keefe

Bronco not giving you anything on the status of Brennan Armstrong. Kelly/Freeman will just have to prepare for 2 quarterbacks, he's not telling them anything that might help the Irish prepare. I don't blame him, it's not the NFL where you have to disclose injuries and their status.

As the Virginia Cavaliers prepare to kickoff against the #10 Notre Dame Fighting Irish on Saturday, quarterback Brennan Armstrong’s status is still unknown. In his Monday presser, Bronco Mendenhall addressed Armstrong’s injury and the team’s plan heading into Saturday.

To open, Mendenhall emphasized that “I don’t have an update on Brennan,” and noted that “I probably won’t have an update until the ball is wicked off and we all look out there and see who our quarterback is,” but that, “I’m planning on him being our quarterback.”

When asked what he meant when saying he doesn’t have an update, Mendenhall said that “it means just collectively where I don’t really plan to address it because I don’t think it’ll help you, me, or anyone else in terms of preparation,” as he added that “it helps our football team best to let Brennan heal, recover, and our team get ready to play.”

Bronco Mendenhall addresses Brennan Armstrong’s injury and the quarterback situation

7. Terry O'Keefe

Styles and Colzie will get a lot more snaps, Styles esp as he's going to start at Avery Davis slot position. Colzie will work in on the outside. Styles will be spelled by Tyree, Kyren and maybe even Matt Salerno.

Kelly said Mayer will likely split out some like Tyler Eiffert did when he was here. Kevin Bauman likely to see more snaps at TE as well.

Irish Women got off to a good start beating Ohio at home 105-69, they lost last year to Ohio to open the season and it was a preview of the disappointing season to come. This year Ohio is a veteran team with expectations of wining the MAC. So this was a very good way to open the season for the Irish.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Also the Irish men's basketball team picked up another good verbal

A day before the Early Signing Period is set to open, the Notre Dame men’s basketball program’s 2022 recruiting class is complete.

Florida power forward Ven-Allen Lubin‍ just announced his verbal commitment to the Irish, giving Notre Dame a trio of top 2022 targets along with New England power forward Dom Campbell and elite New York combo guard JJ Starling.

All three will be free to sign National Letters of Intent and officially become members of the Irish Hoops family between this Wednesday and next Wednesday.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Jay Bilas said last night on the Kentucky/Duke telecast that Mike Brey was the Ted Lasso of college basketball. I'm trying to figure out if that is a compliment! :rolleyes:

10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Compliment IMO

11. Terry O'Keefe

12. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

13. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Be a goldfish. Good advice.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Kelly update on injuries.

"Kyle is not cleared medically to play. Once he's cleared medically to play, he has every intention of playing. He just hasn't been cleared yet."

"This isn't a young man that doesn't want to play or he's protecting himself or any of that stuff... He's just not cleared right now... When our medical people clear him, he'll be back."

On the injury to Drew White

Dealing with a sore knee and a torn PCL. He practiced and he's expected to play this weekend.

C'Bo was hurt in practice this week and is not expected to play.

15. Terry O'Keefe

Whoa....big news on the recruiting front!

Notre Dame has landed 2022 Wayne (Ohio) offensive lineman Aamil Wagner‍ in a shocker as the four-star prospect was expected to commit to Kentucky.

The 6-foot-6, 255-pounder recently visited Notre Dame in October for the USC game and felt zero pressure from the Irish staff on his decision.

“He didn't really pressure me too much recruiting-wise,” he said of Jeff Quinn. “He just checked in. I haven't really seen him since June, so it was really a refresh for him to see how I was doing and how my family was. I really enjoyed that.”

The academics won out in the end of Wagner as he values Notre Dame’s educational opportunities.

“The biggest thing was the academics, they graduate champions over there and the quality of education is the best in the nation,” Wagner said of the pitch. “It stacks up with Stanford, Harvard and the Ivy League schools.

“Along with the education, they preach the religion aspect and how it's a Catholic school and having a religious aspect to it. That was one of the biggest things. As for the football aspect, they produce NFL talent, they produce linemen especially. Not only would you be getting great academics, but great football as well.”

Wagner is a big piece to the puzzle as he now joins Ty Chan‍, Ashton Craig‍ and Joey Tanona‍ in Notre Dame’s 2022 offensive line haul.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

I'm glad that Kelly addressed this..

On false narratives from media outlets stating Kyle Hamilton is choosing not to play:
    ”Kyle Hamilton is not ready to play. Let me be really clear on this because I think there is a bunch of narratives out there about Kyle. Kyle is not cleared medically to play.

"Once he's cleared medically to play, he has every intention of playing. He just hasn't been cleared yet. Once our doctors give him the clearance - he's done everything that we've asked him to do.

"I just want to make sure it's clear this isn't a young man that doesn't want to play, he's protecting himself for the NFL Draft or a bunch of that stuff.

"Here's a guy that's in the weight room. He's doing all the things that an engaged captain of our football team would do, but he's not cleared right now. He's dealing with an injury that takes time and it's taken more time. When our medical people clear him, he'll be back.

"I just wanted to be really clear as to what his situation is, so we don't have false narratives out there about what his intention is. He's been a great teammate and captain. We're really pleased with his engagement and everything he's doing. I hope that's crystal clear to everybody so we can move forward there."

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Dayton (Ohio) Huber Heights Wayne offensive tackle Aamil Wagner announced his commitment to Notre Dame live on CBS Sports HQ on Thursday afternoon.

Wagner, a four-star and Top 125 prospect on 247Sports, gives Notre Dame 22 commits now in the 2022 class. His addition will move their class to No. 3 overall in the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

Irish women's basketball had another good win vs W.Illinois who plays out of the Summit League. Maddie Westbeld seems to be picking up where she left off last year. She is one of the 50 women's players on the Wooden Award list for this season, and a pre-season All ACC player, last year she was "rookie" of the Year in the ACC. They have an early conference game this Sunday vs Syracuse. Hopefully this years team which is talented, will compete for the ACC title and a NCAA berth.

Irish men's basketball opens their season Sat vs Cal State Northridge. Hopefully, off to a good start.

Irish Men's Soccer team is in the ACC Finals vs Duke

Irish Women's soccer team starts NCAA play this Sunday as a #3 seed at home vs Southern Illinois Edwardsville.

19. Terry O'Keefe

Boy UVA really misses Brennan Armstrong. Irish shut them out in the 1st half. I'd say it was our Georgia-like defense, and that was part of it but that backup QB for Virginia hadn't really played very much and it showed.

Kyren did what he does, a good imitation of a human pinball machine.

Coan has been efficient and workmanlike in operating the offense. But you do have to remember how bad this defense has been, they gave up 66 points to BYU.

In other news, the Men's basketball team had a solid win vs CAL State Northridge.

Hockey completed the sweep of Wisconsin at home, winning 5-1 and 3-0

• Like Like x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

28 - 0 now. UVA doing more on offense but can't get it in the end zone.

I wonder if Kelly will give Buchner a chance in the 4th qtr. He's had 1 snap.