Notre Dame vs. Purdue

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by JO'Co, Sep 24, 2006.

1. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

8)
    I've already given up trying to read the Purdue message boards. Its like the Twilight Zone over there...

Even though the game is in South Bend, they don't give us much of a chance. Most Boiler fans figure that their undefeated heroes are going to slaughter the Irish in their own backyard by several TDs. My favorite post was the guy who said that as far as he was concerned, Notre Dame was already "0-2 in the Big 10." Since we've already played three Big Ten teams, I'm not sure what this means...but I think it has something to do with there actually being eleven teams in the "Big Ten." Or maybe the Irish have beaten them so many times that they can't count anymore...

All I know is: Purdue is undefeated and riding high. Get the rope boys...

...........JO'Co
    :p

2. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if they are really that stupid or if you are just stirring the pot up, JO'Co...

I stay off most of the internet sites because there are too many idiots there (maybe the ND sites are different. :) )

I post on a "Purdue Sports" email list that is a little bit more, uh, informed than the internet as a whole...in fact the Arena announcer for the basketball team is one of our posters, and the guy who just got appointed to do the radio broadcasts (regular guy is ill) was a very knowledgable person on our list until he got more involved with the University and felt it would be a conflict to continue on a fan list...

Anyway here is your "overconfidence" from our private email list:

"Is that right that MSU had won 5 straight over the Irish. We feel lucky
    if we make it a game with Notre Dame. We're deer in the headlights
    against Notre Dame and sadly I don't see next week being any different.
    Even though we won 41-16 the last time we played in South Bend, this is
    a different year on both sides. We blew ND out in the second quarter
    led by Orton and company. We also had a defense back then. And that was
    Willingham's swan song season.

Sadly, I don't see us staying within 2 TDs of the Irish. Our track
    record in South Bend reads more like an obituary than a sports column.
    We go in there and immediately fall behind by 2-3 TDs. The game is
    usually over by the 5th minute of the second quarter. If we're still in
    the game at the half this Saturday, I will consider it a victory."

and:

"Not a chance. We won't be able to stop NDs passing attack, and I don't think we can win a scoring battle."

and:

"Probably not, Quinn will smoke us for 4 or 5 TDs, and get himself back into
    the Heisman race, especially since MSU let him back in it last last night."

and:

"Nice win! Was glad to see all the rain and storms remain south of
    Purdue for the entire game. In order to have a chance at an 8 win
    season we're where we had to be at this point, 4-0 going into three
    straight road games, two of which are probable losses (although we'll
    see how ND looks tonight). But, a good win today."

FROM ME:

Hopefully we can make it an entertaining game. Most Purdue fans are happy that we are rebuilding what was such a bust last year and that we have actually won seven games in a row (haven't really played anybody), but we are happy to be improving a bit every week and hopefully we won't embarass ourselves on NDBC TV next week. :roll:

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

From the Indy Star :

IndyStar Purdue vs Minn Article

The article was really written as an indictment of Glen Masons coaching decisions yesterday. But what I find interesting is that after saying Purdue isn't very good and has played or will play a soft schedule he says they will be an upper echelon B10 team? That some how doesn't sound right.

I have a feeling that the light bulb went on in the minds of the Irish last night in E. Lansing the Spartans threw the switch when so many of them came over into the Irish bench area and a short melee erupted. If in fact Purdue's defense is still not real strong I think Quinn could have a huge day and I have a feeling that the defense will also play very well. I don't expect this defense to pitch shutouts or stuff like that but to be very competitive and get better as they year goes on, barring injuries of course.

Terry

4. Terry O'Keefe

Also it is possible that the Purdue game will give us the first glance of the much ballyhooed James Aldrige the Irish 5* recruit at RB. He's been sort of a mystery, there have been all sorts of rumours as to why he hasn't played most of them have to do with the phyisical condition of his knee. In his press conference Charlie was asked about him and said he's finally ready to take some snaps with the team this week. But he was also very clear that he does not believe that Darius Walker has been the reason the running game has been a problem so far this year.

Terry

5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Stu
    To help correct a misconception, ND has lost 5 straight to MSU in SB. At the same time they've won 3 straight in E.L. Go figure.

6. Terry O'Keefe

It is interesting that during the Purdue renassance under Joe T. That he had a tough time with the Irish coaches Davie and Willingham. Mystifyingly in one game where he had an explosive QB in Drew Brees he decided that he was going to trick the Irish and run the ball....of course he lost.

I'm also not really sure how it got started but ND fans have a distinct dislike for Tiller. I'm not sure what it is that he's done, I'll give you he's gruff and doesn't run over and hug you when he loses and wish you all sorts of luck in the rest of your games. But then really not a lot of coaches do that.

I wonder if somebody will recyle the "never going to lose to MSU again" quote that was erroneously attributed to Charile into a "never going to lose to Purdue again" quote to stir things up.

Terry

7. stephenoh

stephenoh New Member

The "Never Going to Lose" quote

<t>That was actually re-cycled from CW's first game vs Pitt when it was reported on various bb that CW had said....."the days of losing to_________(fill in the blank) are over.<br/>
    <br/>
    CW was asked point blank at the press conference (after last year's Pitt game) about that quote and he said: .....I would never say something like that because it shows disrepect toward the other team and its players....<br/>
    <br/>
    If it makes Pitt, MSU, Purdue feel better to repeat this as "gospel" so be it, but I don't believe it was ever said.<br/>
    <br/>
    Two observations regarding Saturday's game vs MSU:<br/>
    <br/>
    1) That should certainly silent anyone who wants to talk about "running up to score". ND scored 19 points in about 4 min. (I threw a few seconds in for Lambert's interception TD run). <br/>
    <br/>
    2) What kind of a coach sends 3 players out to "protect" the "S"; my God , doesn't that suggest he had to say to his team...."if we lose, I want you 3 to go stand by the "S" (great message to send to your players). If I was told to do that by a coach--I tell him to F_____Off and clean out my locker. John L. Smith is a total jerk!!!.<br/>
    <br/>
    Stephen</t>

8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Terry, I don't know where this comes from, except maybe some of those mental giants over at NDnation. There is nothing unlikeable about Joe Tiller. I know IU fans here in Indiana who respect him.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Stephen you are right about that quote. I remember it getting a lot of play on the boards, personally I think it was a poster who made the comment about the days of losing to _______ being over. Just like it was a poster who started the whole deal that the new staff was like a seal team compared to mall cops (old staff). Just took on a life of it's own.

As for the guarding the S, the picture of those guys doesn't look like they are all that enthused about guarding the S. What a stupid move.

Terry

10. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

What I recall most about Tiller was his first game where he lost to Toledo (pretty sure. know it was a MAC team.) He played a vanilla type offense with only 2 wideouts.
    Next week he upset ND running that spread offense he ran out west. I always thought he was willing to sacrifice a loss to a MAC team to set up a win vs ND. I guess we should be flattered.
    He probably enjoyed running it up against Ty but then, he was instrumental in our changing coaches.
    He's OK. He does as well as can be expected with a school that doesn't have the advantages and traditions as M and OSU. As always, you never take them lightly. Guys like Griese and Phipps used to stick it to us all the time.

11. Terry O'Keefe

One thing i do know is that El Paso Tim has a special place in his heart for ND wins over Purdue!! :)

Terry

12. Stu Ryckman

13. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

8)
    re: " What kind of a coach sends 3 players out to "protect" the "S"

The same kind of coach who gave them the flag and told them to plant it at Notre Dame. Did you see the interview with that turkey at halftime? Did you see the nervous laugh, darting eyes looking away and stalling for time to think of a response? It was his idea...

Michigan State has a Little Leaguer for a head coach. They should get rid of him and get a real one...

............JO'Co

14. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Amen, JO'Co. Smith is more woried about his sod than the game. Not ready for prime time. He even looks paranoid.

Now Tiller on the other hand, he looks a little like Robert Duval in Lonesome Dove. He has grit. He also has the Golden Girls which has got to be worth seven points. 8)

15. George Krebs

Flashback!

Didn't Tiller ( see photo ) call Weis fat or something last year?

[​IMG]
    "Weis has a fat ass", said Purdue coach Joe Tiller

16. Terry O'Keefe

Hey Stu did they go up there on Monday night and beat F###in Purdue or did they get their asses run into the ground! :)

17. BobW

BobW New Member

Re: The "Never Going to Lose" quote

<r><QUOTE><s>
    </e></QUOTE>

ND Nation had a link to an MSU message board yesterday and their fans were also ripping Smith for this. One poster said, "It's okay for us to do it to them, but not okay for them to do it to us? What a b*tch move." Another poster said he wished the Irish would have planted their flag in Smith's tush. It was a pretty funny read.</r>

18. Stu Ryckman

As far as I'm concerned, George, unless you've got some documentation, then that is just crap...

19. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

ND/PU

<t>Terry,<br/>
    You are right about my dislike for purdue. You must remember I am from Indiana originally and being a fan Of Indiana University basketball from way back, I grew up with a healthy dislike for the "boilers" a long time ago. I mean IU and PU just don't like each other period and it is usually a barnburner when they play in basketball every year. <br/>
    <br/>
    Now once I started following ND football guess who one of ND's rivals was each year...yes, my old friends the "boilers" again. <br/>
    <br/>
    I think I actually enjoy a win or PU more than Mich to be honest with you. I just flat don't like them and doubt I ever will, no, I know I never will. I ususally root against them no matter who they play. <br/>
    <br/>
    If Stu wasn't such a nice guy and always on the board, I would really tell you how I feel about Purdue. Lets' just say I'd rather take a hammer and hit the big toe of my foot as hard as possible than lose to Purdue! <br/>
    <br/>
    Other than that, I have no problem with them.</t>

20. George Krebs

I have zero documentation. I made the whole thing up. It's a joke. Like trying to pawn off a picture of Wilford Brimley as Joe Tiller.

No offense.