Notre Dame vs Miami

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Another elimination Sat for the lads. Going to Miami in the heat and humidity to face a resurgent Miami Hurricane team in front of their biggest crowd of the year. It will be a hostile environment that's for sure.

Miami really looked good vs Va.Tech and won in a convincing fashion. They had been getting by on miracle plays at the end of games vs Ga.Tech and FSU .

They did not play well vs a bad UNC team but might have been a case of looking ahead to Va.Tech.

Irish are a slight favorite in the game. Now this is a game that naturally we'd all love a big win, but just a win will work.

Kelly said everybody is healthy, Alize Mack is likely back for the game. I see that Kevin Stepherson has made to #1 on the depth chart. This would be a good time for him to really show up big time.

2. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

Miami's starting running back Walton was knocked out a few games back for the season and we lost our starting defensive end during the V-Tech game.

ESPN Game Day will be at the campus setting up camp, this is the first time since 2013 they have visited Miami.

I'm was hoping for a hot sultry Saturday night but all indications are upper 70's and breezy as a weak cold front falls apart, weather should be Chamber of commerce.

Interesting note is Mark Richt as a player for UM got knocked out playing the Irish and mentioned having his heart broke on another occasion. I really like Richt and what he brings to the team and to college football in general.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article183224171.html

3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Ralph, like so many others, I did not like Miami during the Jimmy Johnson years. To this day, I don't like JJ. Can't explain it. Just don't.

I have a much different feeling these days toward the U. I think Richt is a high character guy who has the program on sound footing. I'm looking forward to the game. Regardless of who wins and loses, I expect a close, hard-fought contest.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Like Sid, it was the whole deal at Miami during the Jimmy Johnson days and the Dennis Erickson days. I remember the Cotton Bowl in the early '90's when Texas and Miami played. Miami totally intimidated the Longhorns by setting a NCAA record for the most unsportsmanlike conduct type of penalties...on the way to literally slaughtering the Longhorns. That's the Miami I didn't like.

But those days are gone with Richt as the coach.

This Miami team is scary to me because they are a team that found a way to win when they shouldn't have and have grown as the season has gone on and last weekend vs a very good Va.Tech team they dominated them.

The Irish will need our RB's to 1) be healthy and 2) run for a lot of yards. We don't have the type of passing game that is going to come out and take over a game and win it throwing the ball like Oklahoma has with Baker Mayfield. Our success passing the ball will come from our RB's forcing Miami to focus on stopping the run.

Miami does have speed on the outside with their WR's, and we've seen that if the ball is close they will fight for that ball and more often than not come down with the ball. Our DB's need to put last weeks game out of their minds, besides WF passing game is totally different from the Miami passing game.

Miami does have a very good DE who is making a lot of plays this year. We need our OL to keep him in control as much as possible, doubt if we can shut him down but limit his big plays.

5. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Notre Dame

<r><QUOTE><s>
    </e></QUOTE>

I agree with Sid on his statement above. I wish I could be as diplomatic about the rest of his statement as he is but.....I'll just leave it there. <br/>
    <br/>
    The gold chain with the Miami logo puzzles me. Doesn't that sort of harken back to an image the "U" was trying to leave behind? Maybe not <E>:?</E> <br/>
    <br/>
    Maybe the Irish should come up with a gold chain attached to a shillelagh <E>8)</E> <E>:D</E> Just kidding!</r>

6. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I have no ill feelings toward the Canes but....

Notre Dame: 37 Miami 20

7. Terry O'Keefe

I'm not worried about our offense, while Miami is a good defense they are not Georgia or Alabama, so I think we'll score enough points to win.

I am worried about our defense. WF and Miami don't run the same offense. WF is a quick pitch and catch offense and I think Miami likes to throw the ball down the field. Not that they couldn't adjust and go to a more tempo and quick outs, slants, etc that WF did to us. But we also gave up yardage in the middle of the defense to the WF RB. What was our worry pre-season? DL vs the run and DL depth issues. Also our DB's, nobody had any confidence that we would have anything better than just average safety play. So Elko and his defense proved us all wrong, right up till last week.

Kelly's explanation was that when we went up 41-16 that we took our foot off the gas and that's why we let WF back into the game late. I hope that's the case. We need the defense to pressure the UM QB as he threw multiple picks vs Va.Tech and we need the interior of the defense to be stout and stop the Miami run game. I expect that if we win and have a good defensive effort it will be Tevon Coney and Jerry Tillery along with Love who are the leaders.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Not surprising, but always nice to learn we still do it right.

http://www.und.com/genrel/110817aab.html

9. Terry O'Keefe

Ralph did you get one of the available suites for the game? I need to know so I can book my airline flight! :)

10. RECcane

Dagum Terry I got busy and forgot to reserve that for us, keep that number from Priceline available for your airline ticket, I'm going to make a couple calls. I'm sure my clout as a long time fan should get a suite with no problem and if I have to I can throw a few names around and mention that I know Scott and Kes...I've been holding back doing that because you never want to use your Ace unless you have to... :D

11. RECcane

George I appreciate your prediction there, I'm calling it Miami 31, Notre Dame 27....

Tim I can honestly say I have zero understanding about the ghetto looking gold chain for turnovers. Alabama has their wrestling belt, Georgia has the spiked shoulder pad booby prize. It seems to be incredibly popular and I mean very popular with anyone under 35. It is even reverberating into our recruiting and if what I read is correct may give us an edge at times...

I can only chalk it up that I am old and out of touch at this point and on the outside looking in because I hate it when the camera pans to them running around with this boat anchor...

But if it gives them incentive and creates competition to perform and improve while having fun I will just sit back and shake my head...

12. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I have questions that might be answered this weekend.

Is Georgia as extremely good as they look and if so that makes ND pretty damned good also because that was a nip and tuck game in South Bend.

Meanwhile the Canes have shimmied by a few teams with late game heroics.

I'm going with ND really is that good.... 34 -24 over Miami

13. Terry O'Keefe

It's so odd for me to read about how a Manny Diaz coached defense is so good. On XM Sports they were talking about how fast and deep the Miami Front 7 is, that they will wear out the ND OL by send wave after wave of fresh players at them.

This is the same Manny Diaz who was fired by Mack Brown in Sept after a big loss to BYU.

Also they talked about the Irish not being in a conference. Know ND hater Steve Spurrier started it and the other guys chimed in on how it wasn't fair that everybody is in a conference but ND and that we get to be our own conference. And we get the same seat at the table as the Conf Commissioners who represent multiple teams.

It's setting up that if the Irish win out and are 11-1 and competing with Clemson and OU/TCU at 12-1 and conference champions, that the committee will drop us to #5 based on no conference championship or 13th data point.

While I'm all on board that we need to win, even if it's by 1 point. I think reality is that if we play Miami and win by a good margin it significantly impacts our ability to counter that lack of 13th data point. In other words, style points do count.

14. RECcane

Per the Irish not being in a conference: I can see folks saying there is a certain amount of unfairness at the equality at the table seat. This is why everyone else had to eventually go to a conference to be included in the discussion at the table or be on the outside looking in. Notre Dame is the only school who could possibly get away with it because of who they are and what they bring financially to the bargain table. I think eventually that will change and they will in some fashion be affiliated with a conference.

That being said who outside of Notre Dame plays a more difficult schedule year in and year out. That has to count for something..

15. RECcane

Terry

Manny needed those homemade Cuban sandwiches to turn things around. He really has been coaching his butt off since he came back to Miami but he has a great supporting staff with Craig Kuligowski being one of them. Coach K was outstanding at Missouri sending players into the NFL and he has started the process here as well.

16. Terry O'Keefe

That's it, his metabolism was thrown off by Texas BBQ Brisket sandwiches and Lone Star Beer! :)

17. RECcane

XM Sport's must have interest in the television rights to the game. I'm fairly sure we have not played against an offensive line the caliber of what the Irish are bringing Saturday night. We are already down one DE starter and yeah for the first time in years we can alternate our defensive line with fresh bodies but there is a drop off in experience.

18. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

There goes Ralph again, doing his imitation of Lou Holtz. :D

19. Terry O'Keefe

Brother against Brother....RJ McIntosh vs Deon McIntosh...with younger brother Kenny a top rated RB for 2019 being recruited by both Miami and ND.

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/11/08/miami-notre-dame-2017-brothers-r-j-deon-mcintosh-have-trash-talking-rivalry/

20. RECcane

:D Hey, Hey I'm being sincere here...

Of course there was a shortage of wheel chairs in Miami after the V-Tech game and some players had to ride double on one chair into practice...I just hope they had a chance to attend the practice meeting between transfusions... :shock: :)