Notre Dame vs. Georgia

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Not too early to start talking about next season's most anticipated non-conference grudge match. With Georgia players being Twitter critics of ND's miserable showing vs. Clemson and pouring salt on that wound then going out vs.Texas and laying their own egg there's a lot of venom already generated for this tilt in Athens.
    "
    1. Notre Dame at Georgia, Sept. 21

[​IMG][​IMG]Let's be real. The trash-talk coming from Georgia players via Twitter as they watched Notre Dame get trucked by Clemson in the College Football Playoff semifinal makes this Week 4 matchup between the Irish and Bulldogs must-see TV. And considering both teams should be in the top 5 and playoff contenders again at that point, this one is already circled 50 times on the calendar, though it's eight months out. This will be Notre Dame's first trip to Athens, Georgia, and a return game after the two played in South Bend in 2017 (Georgia won 20-19). It will be hard to ignore the playoff implications in this one, especially considering the Irish must once again -- in all likelihood -- be perfect to have any shot at the top four

2. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Georgia fans trash talk came to a sudden end with the loss to Texas. They hardly looked like one of the four best teams.

Texas looked a lot more like they maybe belonged. :)

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I don't think Georgia or Notre Dame need much bulletin board material to get up for this game.

4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Agree.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Yeah I don't think that will generate much if any bulletin board material to fire up the Irish. If they need that to get up for going to Georgia for a huge game then we've already lost.

It will be a critical game for the Irish that's for sure, if they want to be in the playoff hunt again. In 2017 we were able to stay in the playoff hunt even though we lost to Georgia at home because 1) it was a close game 2) Georgia stayed undefeated till the late season loss to Auburn 3) Irish went on a winning streak and looked like the real deal till the implosion at Miami.

Same could happen for both teams if it's a close game either way, but a blowout one way or the other probably dooms that team.

6. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I don't see either team overlooking the other.

7. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

No they don't but some scribe is probably going to bring all this bowl trash talking back up just to stir the pot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

True, but that is all about the scribe, not the teams.

9. IrishCorey

Ya know, with this Fields kids leaving, I wonder if that will reduce the temptation for Kirby to do something stupid next season? There were times when he took out Fromme that I just didn't agree with him at all. Maybe this will make them a better team? Georgia has so much talent, I can't imagine that they won't find another stud QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Corey, yeah putting Fields in for one play at.a time at arbitrary times throughout the game was a baffling strategy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

UGA stole an Ohio State verbal when Fields announced he was leaving...for Ohio State. Dwan Mathis is the kid and he was the #2 ranked dual threat QB. He's probably Ok sitting for his freshman season behind Fromm, question of course will be is he oK sitting for 2 years behind Fromm assuming Fromm does not leave for the NFL after the 2019 season.

As you say though UGA has a ton of young talent that Smart brought in, esp his 2018 class which had something like 7 5 stars, over all combined UGA has recruited 15 5 stars in the 2017,18,19 classes. Granted Fields was one of them so it's 14 now. But that's a crap load of talent. The Irish haven't had 15 5 stars combined in the last 25 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. IrishCorey

I'm wondering how Georgia Tech will fair in all of this. For years now, GT has gone after guys who fit into the triple option scheme. If they go back to a pro set or RPO based offense, they're going to start chasing that instate talent that Georgia was getting uncontested.

BTW, did you see the recruit who had some 'not so nice' things to say about Kirby and his staff?

13. Terry O'Keefe

I did see that but I take that sort of stuff with a grain of salt. I'll bet there are a ton of recruits who have positive things to say about being recruited by Smart and staff. You can't be as successful as he's been in his short time at UGA and be an asshole to the kids you are recruiting. Lie to them of course but do it with a smile and a pat on the back.

14. IrishCorey

Same here. I just don't hear a lot of that stuff about Saban here in Alabama.