Notre Dame vs Duke

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well it's finally here, game week!! Team seems to be in good shape and the last covid test came up with zero positives. I hope that continues this week, I know they will have at least 1 more test before Sat.

Everybody is expecting a good offense with Book reportedly having had a good fall camp and the OL being experienced and healthy. Seems to be good depth on the OL as well. RB room has some young guys leading the way, Kyren Williams and Chris Tyree both have had good fall camps. Jafar Armstrong seems to have been limited for non-injury reasons which I'm reading as he tested positive and was quarantined.

Receivers seem to have had good camps as well. But still little a lot of new faces. Avery Davis seems to have found a home at Slot and will play, Lawrence Keys has had a good camp there and will be the starter. Braden Lenzy and Ben Skowrnek the Northwestern transfer will start in place of injured Kevin Austin.

Defense has a lot of battles and we'll likely see a lot of players get minutes. Kyle Hamilton and JOK likely to be the stars of this defense.

Duke has a lot of problems on offense and isn't likely to be very good. They do have a solid front 7 that gave us a lot of prolems last year though.

The big problem is that rain is expected Saturday, and under Kelly we have not played well in the rain!!! o_O

Still expect to win, but rain could keep the game closer than expected. Irish opened as 20 point favorites.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Duke has named Chase Brice the starting QB for Notre Dame. Brice transferred from Clemson where he backed up Trevor Lawrence. He's the kid who came in and saved Clemson when Lawrence was knocked out of his first game as the starter 2 years ago and threw a late TD pass to pull out the win. It was the first game after Kelly Bryant quit on Clemson when Trevor was named the starter.

3. Terry O'Keefe

ND has the depth chart out.

Marist Liufau in the 2 deep is interesting. No Lamb or Kiser or Genmark-Heath in the 2 deep is a bit of a surprise. Braden Lenzy and Lawrence Keys sitting behind Avery Davis and Javon McKinley was surprising.

OFFENSE
    QB
    Ian Book
    Brendon Clark

RB
    Kyren Williams
    Chris Tyree
    OR Jahmir Smith
    OR C’Bo Flemister
    OR Jafar Armstrong

WR
    Ben Skowronek
    Joe Wilkins Jr.

WR
    Avery Davis
    Lawrence Keys III

WR
    Javon McKinley
    Braden Lenzy

TE
    Brock Wright
    Tommy Tremble
    OR George Takacs
    OR Michael Mayer

LT
    Liam Eichenberg
    Andrew Kristofic

LG
    Aaron Banks
    Dillan Gibbons

C
    Jarrett Patterson
    Zeke Correll

RG
    Tommy Kraemer
    John Dirksen

RT
    Robert Hainsey
    Josh Lugg

DEFENSE
    DE
    Daelin Hayes
    Ovie Oghoufo
    OR Isaiah Foskey

DT
    Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa
    Jayson Ademilola
    Howard Cross III

DT
    Kurt Hinish
    Jacob Lacey
    Ja’mion Franklin

DE
    Ade Ogundeji
    Justin Ademilola
    OR Isaiah Foskey

Mike
    Drew White
    Bo Bauer

Buck
    Shayne Simon
    OR Marist Liufau

Rover
    Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
    Paul Moala

CB
    Nick McCloud
    Cam Hart

CB
    TaRiq Bracy
    OR Clarence Lewis

S
    Kyle Hamilton
    DJ Brown
    OR Isaiah Pryor

S
    Shaun Crawford
    Houston Griffith
    KJ Wallace

SPECIAL TEAMS

KO
    Jon Doerer
    Dawson Goepferich

K
    Jon Doerer
    Dawson Goepferich

P
    Jay Bramblett
    Dawson Goepferich

LS
    Michael Vinson
    Alex Peitsch

Holder
    Jay Bramblett
    JD Carney

PR
    Lawrence Keys III
    Kyren Williams

KR
    Chris Tyree
    Jafar Armstrrong

4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Thanks, Terry.

5. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Thanks for the report, will be tuned in on Sat.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Apparently Jordan Genmark-Heath has opted out for the season and will focus on Academics and graduate in December. I imagine that he didn't even make the 2 deep at Buck had something to do with it.

7. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Javon McKinley starting at WR is not a surprise to me. He was one of the greatest high school football players in the history of this state at Corona Centennial. I'm hoping that he will finally get a chance to show what he can do.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

9. Terry O'Keefe

ISD had an interesting article on what each staff member expected this season, they all answered a specific set of questions. This one about Book was interesting and spot on IMHO. This is Mike Franks opinion, but the other staff members all said about the same thing. I think anybody who is expecting a Joe Burrow type of leap in his 5th year, is going to be disappointed. He's a skilled college qb who had a great year last year once he got going, but it'd unfair to expect him to suddenly have a canon for an arm and be 6'5".

The other thing most agreed is that Marist Liufau is going to be a standout on defense this year.

Can we expect significant improvement from Ian Book this year?
    Somewhat. I think his completion percentage will be higher. I believe he will connect on a few more deep balls than previously, but overall, he is who he is at this point.

10. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Book is a very good college QB. He glaring weakness is arm strength, His strength is accuracy and knowing when to take off with the ball.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

If Ian had Burrow's fleet of receivers, he'd be about to have a standout year.

12. Terry O'Keefe

No doubt Burrow had a great team around him, but Burrow was just as athletic as Book and was around 6'5" with a stronger arm. No doubt though that better WR's make the QB look better. All I have to do is think about how good Kizer looked when he had Will Fuller and how he looked the next year without Will Fuller.

Book can be better this year, and put up good stats if that OL plays up to it's potential and his RB's who have no game experience but have looked good in camp actually produce on the field this year. Your point about WR's though is valid, there are a lot of new faces and little experience with the WR's this year, potential but has to be proven.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Terry O'Keefe

I see that Notre Dame is trying to create some extra buzz for fans this year since they can't attend the games in person for the most part. It's called Rally House, it's an App. It doesn't appeal to me because I don't follow players, former players, ND celebs ( who are they?) etc on the various social media platforms, I don't really care about hooking up with other fans that I don't know in a group chat or Zoom type of call during the game. But it'll probably appeal to a segment of the fan base.

RALLY WITH THE IRISH THIS FOOTBALL SEASON

14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Not to me, for the same reasons you described.

15. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Sid you and Terry are just getting older, you will just have to accept the facts!;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

A couple of comments from ND players....from an article on Irish Illustrated.

“We had a great Tuesday,” Book offered. “Coach Kelly said it was one of the better Tuesdays he’s been around.”

That’s a candid revelation that isn’t often shared. Is it gospel? Nothing is during the week. But this has been a unified program since the pandemic broke. Most indications given to Irish Illustrated in recent weeks have been positive. Robert Hainsey could barely contain himself when talking about how ready he is to play.

“I’m so excited to play in Notre Dame Stadium this year, I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world,” said Hainsey when asked what the atmosphere without a full crowd would be like.

“There was a time this year when we didn’t even know if we were playing football. I don’t care if there is no one in the stands or if it’s a scrimmage. The fact that we get to play football this year is such a blessing.

“Any (player) that’s upset that there are no fans in the stands, I don’t know where they’re coming from. It’s so exciting that we get to play football this year. That’s all that matters to me and I think that’s all that matters to my teammates.”

17. Terry O'Keefe

18. Terry O'Keefe

I have been wondering about the testing during the season. For any team a late positive test for key players would be a problem.

In an piece that Jack Swarbrick did for the WSJ he outlined the ACC protocol.

We are also reassured by the ACC’s testing protocols. Notre Dame and its opponents will be tested three times each week they play: 48 hours after a game, midweek and the night before the next game.

So the team will be tested again tonight, I haven't heard that Wed tests had any positive results. But we won't know for sure until today's tests are done.

Link is to a ndnation.com post that has the full text.

WSJ just posted an op-ed piece written by Jack Swarbrick.

19. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

I'll get excited when I actually see the first game start....maybe

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Game Day Boy that sounds sweet.

• Agree Agree x 2