Notre Dame vs Boston College

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

How Ironic that our last victory over #1 was FSU, a game of the Century type of moment and an outstanding victory by the Irish, students rushed the field. FSU was the Clemson of 1993. Next up a solid BC team, that beat us with a FG at the end. That let down cost us the 1993 Nat'l Championship.

Now here we go again, this time we travel to Boston College and again they are a solid but not great team that we should beat. But we won't be able to show up flat and go through the motions and beat them. They have a good QB, not Clemson good, but still a guy who could beat us, and who was a ND backup QB last year. Phil Jurkovec. He was a legendary Pennsylvania HS QB, he won a State Championship, he played for a State Championship in Basketball. He was a rare athlete for sure. But it didn't work out for him at ND, and it's been a revival of his career at BC. Good for him.

BC always plays us tough, in 2017 it was a nail biter 14-10 at the half before we showed up in the 2nd half. Last year we pretty much blew them away. 2015 was a very close game at Fenway. One thing Brian Kelly has done is he stopped the streak of BC wins and hasn't lost to them as a ND HC. I hope that continues.

So besides coming out gassed emotionally from the win over Clemson, the other worry is of course Covid. They tested the team Sunday, results this afternoon. and they will get tested again on Wed I believe. Bottom line is we need to be a healthy squad and ready to play, not have a number of players staying home and isolating.

The hope is that we'll play well and get our backups in for the 4th qtr and come away with no injuries. I think everybody keeps hoping that Jordan Johnson, the great freshman hope at WR finally gets some snaps, he's big and fast. But he's not seen the field, Kelly keeps saying he's close, but that to me means he's got some work habit or something that Kelly doesn't like and he's not playing till he fixes it.

I also hope that as much as I want to see Kyren Williams, I hope we can see some more of Chris Tyree. He hasn't played much in the last 2 games. He's not injured as he has played and returned KO's. I have to assume part of it was the blitz pickup skills aren't like Williams. I thought maybe he was hitting freshman wall or something as he didn't play much at Ga.Tech either. I thought then they were saving him for Clemson. But that didn't happen. C'Bo got more snaps.

Javon McKinley who has been trending up recently, is dealing with some type of head injury. Kelly didn't say the word Concussion, if that is it he won't play against BC.

I don't remember any other injury issues from the Clemson game. So we should be good to go from that standpoint.

Holy War! I hope we beat the crap out of those guys! I'd say revenge, but the current players weren't born when BC wrecked our season in 1993, so that probably won't be a big motivating factor for them.

2. Terry O'Keefe

So far no Covid problems have cropped up in the football program, which was a big worry of course after the field storming last Sat night. They get tested again today , which is more significant since it's further out from the incident, I think it takes 2 days post exposure for the tests to pick it up. So if today's tests come up good that is a very good sign and then the will get tested again on Friday before they leave for Boston according to Kelly.

3. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Paul Hornung has died. God, what a lousy year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Paul and Duke Snider were my first sports heroes. RIP

5. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

This is a tough one. Loved the Jerry Kramer stories of Hornung and Max McGee sneaking out of camp at night. He said Lombardi knew what they were up to but loved them too much to make a big stink. McGee was a star of Super Bowl I and he claimed to play the entire game with a debilitating hangover.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Irish lose Jayson Amendola (DT), with a partially torn meniscus. Likely out a month. He was having a really good year. Next man up, Freshmen Riley Mills and /or Howard Cross

7. Terry O'Keefe

Looks like the Irish are in for a battle, BC Qb playing well and with a purpose.

We need to match that emotion they are playing with right now

8. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Hopefully we've taken their best shot. We've turned it over twice and still put 31 on the board. It's on the D.

9. Terry O'Keefe

More exciting 1st half than I wanted! 2 fumbles and some big plays by former ND Qb Jurkovec, made it close for awhile. ND defense though kept them out of the end zone and forced 3 FG.

Finally BC made a bad mistake and we got the ball right back after one of the fumbles and turned it into 7!

Up 31 - 16 at half and haven't punted.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Got the win, made a lot mistakes, but got the win.

11. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

A good win against a program that doesn't cherish championship seasons, just upsets of other teams. Good riddance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

It is a concern that Clemson and BC found big holes in the pass defense.

13. Terry O'Keefe

A lot of comments about ABC, not mentioning the passing of Paul Hornung once during the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

They were too busy telling us over and over again about Jurkovec. Is it just me or does Book seem more comfortable with his receivers?

15. Terry O'Keefe

No doubt Book and the WR are getting comfortable.

16. Terry O'Keefe

283 yds passing
    274 yds running

If not for the fumbles it could have been a serious beating. Lots of coaching points to keep the lads honest,

C'Bo apparently is a little banged up but nothing serious according to Kelly. Hainsey sat the 4th qtr as a precaution with a sore ankle.

Off week coming up!

17. Terry O'Keefe

So this is the play that the ND wr was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct... I don't see it.

18. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Finally

19. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Book has looked much better the last two games.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Well our OL which has been getting a lot of attention as one of the best in college this year, just took a blow. Starting center Jarrett Patterson suffered a foot injury against BC and will miss the rest of the season. Zeke Correll or maybe Josh Lugg will fill in for him the rest of the way.