Notre Dame Fall Camp.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Coming up soon. Irish will go to an off site place to start the camp for a 4 days. I don't know anything about this place. It's called Shiloh Park and it's owned by the Church of the Nazarene.

Kelly said it's to get the team away from campus for a few days after being on campus all summer. Team building will be emphasized along with starting practice. I'm not sure about this, but if we have a great season no doubt people will point to this as a factor. I remember Holtz taking the team to Culver, it didn't work out well if I remember correctly.

Here is Kelly's pre-camp interview from UND.com

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qO1C-mdNX4o" frameborder="0"></iframe>

2. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Camp

<t>Terry,<br/>
    <br/>
    Yeah, I remember the Culver camp ordeal. didn't go so well. Think they players remembered it more as camp HELL. Remember it being really hot and the accommodations for the players not so good. Looks like Kelly has this camp planned out a lot better. I believe it's shorter also. <br/>
    <br/>
    Really starting to get excited about the upcoming season. Anxious to see A. Carlisle, the other RBs etc. Hoping Tommy Rees has gotten ride of the turnovers and the O-line does a much better job of protecting him than it did a couple years ago.</t>

3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

The camp is in Marion, IN, a bit less than an hour north of me. I don't know about the accommodations, but I've driven by the property in the past.

4. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:D

These camps can work. It depends on what the coach wants to accomplish and if he has a complete plan to make it work. Last year, Jim Mora inherited a bunch of party boys at UCLA. In the first practices, the seniors upheld the age-old Bruin tradition of going "over-the-wall." This meant ditching night practices to go drinking in Hollywood. To solve this, Mora proclaimed that ALL over-the-wallers were suspended from the team. and all future such players would be kicked off the team permanently. He then moved the team to a "camp" at my alma mater, Cal State San Bernardino... a little piece of hell on earth in the Mojave Desert...

http://www.uclabruins.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30500&ATCLID=208863166

You may have noticed last season that those players who survived their visit to Cal State Death Valley...... as some cynics have called it...were much more motivated to work hard and pay attention to detail, than previous UCLA teams. The players called it a great experience, and begged Mr. Mora not to send them back there again...

As I said, it all depends upon what the coach wants to do. Camps can be a great place to smooth out rough edges and create feelings of togetherness among players who may have felt isolated or who were gathering themselves into isolated groups based on race, religion or other factors. Camps also help the new guys to blend in, because everyone is in the same boat at these things and experience doesn't count as much as it will later on...

5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Junction, Texas! :D

6. Terry O'Keefe

Face of the Program, Big Lou.

USAToday has a slide show of the new rankings, the Alabama Slide had Saban, the Ohio State Slide has Urban, the Oregon slide has Marcus Mariotta, the Stanford slide has Kevin Hogan, etc...

Big Lou was the ND slide. I hope the kid is rewarded with a great and injury free year, team and personal success, 1st round draft choice and his ND degree.

Irish Chocolate !!!

7. Terry O'Keefe

Not football related but, what a great opportunity for the womens team. Play some ball and see Europe.
    WBB To Europe

8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

That womens' BB trip is pretty cool.

9. Tim Gentry

Kelly

<r>coach Kelly on Tommy Rees as starter today:<br/>

<QUOTE><s>
    </e></QUOTE></r>

10. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

LOL! BK is a funny guy.

Two years ago, Robby Toma, wearing a Mohawk haircut, was trying to get his attention to get more playing time. Coach looked at him and said, " You're short, you're slow, and you have a bad haircut."

11. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Richard Yeargin a 6-4 225 OLB apparently committed today. I'll be waiting for Tim's comments.

12. Tim Gentry

Yeargin

<t>This kid looks like the REAL deal! Watched a little of his video and man he hits hard! Very nice catch for the Irish! Has a real nice list of offers too. Welcome aboard young Mr Yeargin. GO IRISH!</t>

13. Tim Gentry

yeargin

<t>by the way, Yeargin is another great recruit brought in by Tony Alford. Tony gets it done year after year. He's a terrific recruiter.</t>

14. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2iZqLBXT5Aw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0"></iframe>

15. vicm

vicm New Member

Thanks, JoCo. Speed...you can't teach it.

16. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

I agree Vic. This kid is yet another version of BK's formula recruits. Kelly wants kids who're tall, fast and athletic. These players can play DE or LB or TE or develop into quick down linemen if they put on more weight. This kid Yeargin is so fast that he could even play WR if he learns how to catch...

17. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Just got another. DE Matt Dickerson 6'5' 260. from California.

18. Tim Gentry

Dickerson

<t>Dickerson. Another nice DEFENSIVE recruit for this class and I like it, I like it a lot. He listed depending on the service, at anywhere from 260-275lbs. At 6'5", he can probably go to 300 easy. Nice quick first step. Could well be a nice NG for us. the class is shaping up to be another nice one for Kelly and the Irish.</t>

19. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I need to get Carson to watch that video on the Yeargin kid. They play similar styles in terms of keeping their shoulders parallel with the LOS, but that kid does a great job of keeping his head up in pursuit through the tackle. That kid is fast, but it seems like he has a deceptive first step. He doesn't seem to be getting off the ball that quickly, but the next thing you know he's in the backfield.

Isn't Dickerson a Catholic school kid from Serra?

20. Terry O'Keefe

[​IMG]

Irish Uniforms for the Arizona State game in Dallas..aka Shamrock Series.