Notre Dame Bowl/Recruiting.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Still seems like we are headed to the Camping World Bowl vs either Texas or Oklahoma State.

Lots of plots boiling around the Irish. Will Chip Long leave, will Jeff Quinn be retained, what about Tom Rees. If Chip leaves a lot of people think that Tom will be the new OCoord. Todd Lyght seems to be a name who many think won't be here next year, many want him gone because CB recruiting has been bad under his watch.

Irish don't seem to be likely to add to the class that will sign Dec 18th, the one kid they would like to add a CB out of Calif seems to be dragging his feet and keeps wanting to take more visits. That would be Ramon Henderson, and they are putting on the all oout effort to get him to make a decision for the Irish, today Kelly, Lea and Pollian are making the trip to Bakersfield and hope to close the deal. Beyond that it's all about 2021 and starting on 2022.

Still talk about whether or not Cole Kmet will return in the fall, he's said he wants to play baseball for the Irish this Spring. His brother Casey is a freshman on the baseball team. So he won't be able to do all the training these guys do to prepare for the NFL combine and stuff like that so who knows. I hope he comes back of course. Nobody expects any one else to leave who still has eligibility left. The OL is going to be back and the play that Lugg has gotten in the last few games makes the group even stronger going into next year.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Irish currently sit at #12 for 2020 recruiting. Part of the reason is small class of 17, the ratings reward larger class size and most above us have 20+, except UGA (15) and Texas (17), but those two programs have fewer 3 star recruits than we have and that impacts the rating as well. Still I think mostly this is a good class, to keep us where we are at currently as a program.

We'll need to do better with the higher ranked recruits to move up, for 2021 we are currently #1 as most everybody has about the same number of recruits and we only have 4 star recruits no 3 stars (yet). I seriously doubt that we'll maintain that #1 slot, but staying in the top 10 would be the goal.

3. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

If we finish around #12 with the 2020 class only 17 or 18 kids that’s cool with me, especially since the class includes a couple of difference makers at RB, WR and DE that could get plenty of playing time right out of the chute. The 2021 class promises to be one of the best we will have in many years if it holds up.

If we end up playing Texas in the bowl game I don’t know how motivated they will be without all the changes going on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tim Gentry

On Tyler Buchner. I worry about keeping him committed but this note from ISD makes me feel better, especially the last sentence:

“Spoke at length with a few sources around Tyler Buchner today. I'll have a story up with his OC Danny Mitchell up tomorrow.

Naturally, Tommy Rees and the Northwestern OC job has come up in conversations. I'm told Buchner would love to be coached by Tommy as they have a great relationship, but he chose Notre Dame for Notre Dame as it's the balance of high-level football and high-level academics.

One source stated in so many words "Notre Dame would have to burn down for Tyler not to be at Notre Dame.”

Sweet

• Like Like x 2
  5. Terry O'Keefe

On the CB from Bakersfield, Ramon Henderson, they visited him yesterday and all think the visit went well but he's not going to commit till he can have his day in the sun with an announcement. Crystal Balls say ND, but to me from what I read I'm not so sure that he won't wait till Feb so he can take some more recruiting trips.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Kelly and other coaches are out on the trail recruiting and also visiting 2020 kids who we expect to sign in 2 weeks. He's visited Aidan Keanaaina, the Colorado DT yesterday.[​IMG]

Aidan Keanaaina Has Incredible Time With Brian Kelly & Mike Elston

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Chip Long visited Mike Mayer Wed, and he's 100% committed to ND. Kelly also visited Neb WR Xavier Watts.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tim Gentry

• Like Like x 1
  9. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

There's a lot of speculation in these parts that Chip Long could wind up at Memphis if their HC goes to FSU (or elsewhere). Since he's still sitting in living rooms for ND, I hope that sits well with the recruits if he leaves.

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Now days it really depends on the kid. Did he like the school or did he like the coach? It.seems sometimes like the coach is more important now. However, having said that, Alabama has had a lot of coaching turnover every year and while we have lost some it hasn't been too bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Tim Gentry

Buchner days he’s coming to ND for the school, regardless of coaching staff. His dad played football for Colgate I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tim Gentry

well I guess we'll know in a couple hours if it's Texas, Iowa St, Kansas St. or Oklahoma St. in the Camping World Bowl game. Winning or losing to anyone of these teams probably doesn't mean too much at this point but I prefer Texas simply on their Blue Blood status. That game might turn a head or two. The others won't.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tim Gentry

It's Iowa State.

14. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Rats. Iowa State has the best team and the smallest reputation of the teams that were mentioned. I don't like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tim Gentry

Well all we can do is beat them and move on to 2020. Not much of a positive for a win though.

16. Tim Gentry

We open as only a 3.5 pt favorite

17. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

LOL...I might have to get one of those!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Terry O'Keefe

Iowa State won't get much respect from ND fans, but they are wrong. While the Cyclones are what they are, that is a 7-5 team who finished tied for 3rd in the B12 with Texas, Oklahoma State, and Kansas State. But they are a good team, they are well coached and those 5 losses were mostly very close games.
    1 point to Iowa, 2 points to Baylor, 7 points to Oklahoma State, 1 point to Oklahoma, and 10 points to Kansas State. So the Irish players and coaches better show up with their chin straps tight and ready to play because Iowa State will be ready to go and not be intimidated by the lore of the Irish. Matt Campbell the Iowa State coach is an excellent coach who many think will be coaching at a big program sometime in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Kelly said at the moment he is not aware of any ND player who has decided to sit out the bowl game. We don't really have any players who are likely to go in the first round, Chase Claypool had a very good season and is a very good WR, but he's a 3rd round at best due to just average speed. Cole Kmet is a very good TE, but I also doubt he's a 1st rounder. None of our other players who could go to the NFL are 1st day players. Of course they could still opt out for the fear of injury, or just being done with college football. I would imagine we'll hear from guys next week after finals are over if they have decided to sit out the bowl game.

We'll also start to hear from any players who are going to transfer whether it's a standard transfer or Grad transfer. Those guys likely will want to spend the time chasing down their options for their next school, rather than preparing for a bowl game. That'll be the same all across college football