No good deed goes unpunished.

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

So have you been following the Carson King debacle?

He's the kid who held up the sign (Gameday Iowa/Iowa State) asking people to donate beer money to his venmo account. It caught fire and the money became huge and he decided to donate it all to a childrens hospital. He had Busch Light as his preferred beer, and Anheuser-Busch jumped on the bandwagon and agreed to match the donation. The money got really serous then and reached reportedly over a million bucks.

Great story right, the kid didn't anticipate getting all that money probably didn't think he'd get any money but wanted to get on TV with a unique sign. So when it all starts coming in and he decides to donate to a worthy cause, we should pat him on the back and give him his due for helping children.

Nope...the media, specifically the Des Moines Register Reporter figures he needs to dig deep into the kids social media and check him out. The reported digs all the way to 2011 when he was 16 and finds some stuff that they decide the public has to know about, and exposes him in their article. Busch disassociates themselves from King but makes good on their donation. What a creep, the reporter, right? Turns out he's no angel either, people upset with what he did, dig into his social media and guess what ...he's not the shining knight either. So he's being investigated by his own paper now.

What's the take from this...Stay off Twitter!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...al-busch-light-star-old-iowa-reporter-tweets/

2. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

This story shows everything that is right, and wrong, with people. All I know is that only one of them was a kid when his mistakes were made.

3. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Ah social media, what a great thing we've unleashed on ourselves.
    I can guarantee you I've said some things in the past that would horrify the easily triggered.
    And yet, I'm not some evil anti-(insert protected class here) bigot.
    There's no putting the genie back in the bottle, so I'm damned glad I rarely use any of it.
    You guys better hope this red flag crap dies.
    Social media credit systems will follow, and every freedom we've enjoyed will circle the drain.
    :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

The reporter was fired although the editor who cleared the story should have been canned. Why did they think it was in the public interest to dig up posts written 6 years prior when Carson was a dumb **** 16-year-old?

Plus the governor of Iowa declared yesterday Carson King Day after the public bashlash against the Des Moines Register for dropping a turd in the punch bowl.

• Winner Winner x 4