ND Fall Camp.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well it's started...

Alex Welch hauled off the field today, knee.

Danny Spond...concussion.

Jordan Prestwood....gone..back to Fla. He's not coming back.

Golson/Hendrix only QB's getting meaningful reps.

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

OK I give up. It couldn't be the weather. He can't have been away from a sweetheart that long. Is it the coaches yelled at him or he misses his mommy?

3. Terry O'Keefe

If you remember Prestwood was a big battle between us and FSU and he was the kid who spread his grandpa's ashes on the ND campus during his recruiting visit when he commited, then he changed his mind and went to FSU, enrolled early and quit FSU after Spring Drills and came back to ND...now he's gone again.

I wonder if he'll end up at USF?

4. Terry O'Keefe

Everybody remembers that Ron Powlus was going to start at QB as a true freshman in '93 till he broke his collarbone in fall camp.

Here's an interview with Oscar McBride and Kevin McDougal on that situation. Very interesting comments to say the least.

Ron Powlus

5. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Prestwood reportedly flunked out academically

6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

That was during the time that Brian was on the team. During the prior season, he got tickets for me in the team parents' section on the visitor's north 30-35 yd. line, about 2/3 of the way up. I sat in front of McDougall's parents. He was the QB for most or all of the game, I can't recall which nor can I recall the opponent or the result. He was very good. I once turned to compliment him to his dad, and his dad made a comment - can't recall the exact words - that came across to me the he thought KM should be the starter....not just for one game. As KM proved the next season, his dad was right.

7. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Interesting read for sure.

Don

8. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

My daughter Molly was at school at that time. Apparently the kids knickname for Powlus was "Glassman."

9. Terry O'Keefe

Hello USF. Since this is now just coming to the fore, I have to assume that he had academic troubles that possibly could have been made up in summer school but that they weren't so he's gone.

10. George Krebs

He can re-enroll at FSU now, dad-gummit!

11. Terry O'Keefe

Grabbed this off another ND board...don't have a link.

The Notre Dame versus Navy game in Dublin could be worth close to $100 million to the Irish economy when future tourism potential is fully accounted for, new estimates say.

The game on 1st September will be a complete sell-out at the Aviva Stadium, in Dublin ,with national coverage back in the US on CBS.

Dublin Airport will have its busiest ever day on 2nd September, the day after the Navy versus Notre Dame game in Dublin.

Some 35,000 Americans are now expected to travel for the game, with the vast majority travelling direct from the US, though many will be coming in from Notre Dame overseas clubs in Britain and from Europe. It is the largest influx by far of American tourists for a single event in Ireland.

Irish tourism leaders are expecting a major knock-on effect from the game. The Gathering, the 2013 coming together of the Diaspora year-long event, will be a major sponsor of the game.

Back in 1996, just 10,000 traveled for a similar fixture to Dublin featuring the same two sides. The vast increase in numbers reflects the continued growth of interest in Irish issues on the Notre Dame campus where the Keough/Naughton Institute for Irish Studies has become a very popular site for elective courses.

In addition, the game has become huge news in Ireland. The Notre Dame Welcome Home pep rally will attract live coverage on Irish national television. Tickets for the rally are being scalped in Dublin for up to $4,300 each.

Meanwhile, there are 40 archbishops, bishops, and priests co-celebrating the traditional pre-game Mass which will also be televised.

12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

13. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:D
    re: Kevin McDougal

He was so good, that when his senior year ended, everyone wanted to know why he hadn't been the starting QB long before that. Sometimes coaches make mistakes and Lou Holtz made a lulu when he told his team that some entering high school kid would be the starter before he ever attended a practice. Holtz had made his career by using his own judgement of on-field performance, while ignoring reputations. This time he failed. It could happen to anyone. Coaching isn't an exact science. Sometimes you play a hunch based on similar situations in the past and you're just wrong.

re: Jordan Prestwood

I never had any faith in this kid. He doesn't want to go to school, he just wants to play in the NFL like they do on TV. If I was the coach at USF or even Nevada Las Vegas...I wouldn't take him. He doesn't want to play unless he's a first-string star who doesn't have to go to class or do any actual work. A guy like that probably ought to join the army or some other structured environment where his laziness and selfishness can be properly rewarded...

re: Alex Welch

Too bad. Some guys are just snakebit. With outstanding TEs ahead of him and behind him he won't play much.

14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I've made clear my feelings that I am not a Tommy Rees apologist, and I support the coach's decision regarding his position on the depth chart, all of which makes me a minority of one here. My issue is not whether or not he plays or is the #1 or #4 QB. My issue is the general lack of respect shown toward the kid relating to his play on the field. While it's a function of TMI on the internet, it nonetheless is an ugly aspect of the ND fan culture. Here is an article about him that is positive. It shows that he has sucked it up following his huge mistake and is making a positive contribution during preseason workouts.

Rees Earns Praise from Teammates

15. George Krebs

Don't forget, he's one of the "other guys". :(

16. Terry O'Keefe

Thanks Sid, Tommy is in a tough place no doubt. Not just because he's been dropped on the depth chart for any number of reasons including his ill advised actions at that party.

But I agree with you that it is tough to see so many fans make so many negative comments about Tommy.

17. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

In 2011 ND finished 118th out of 120 in turnover margin. ND's defense forced 14 turnovers. Rees accounted for 19 of ND's 29 turnovers. That's terrible. :p

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I've got 2 that I'd sell for $1000 each. :D

19. Terry O'Keefe

That demand for tickets at a premium of $4300 should be of some solace to Carlo's dad.

20. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

The article said tickets to the RALLY were going for $4300 :!: You could get them through the school last week for $20.