NCAA proposing massive changes to Div 1 (FBS) football.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

It's a lot to take in but one of the key points is this, and it will be very expensive.

"Entry into the subdivision requires a school to invest, at minimum, $30,000 per year per athlete into what is termed an “enhanced educational trust fund” for at least half of a school’s countable athletes. Schools would determine when athletes receive the amount, which, for four-year athletes, will total at least $120,000. Schools must continue to abide by the framework of Title IX, assuring that 50 percent of the investment be directed toward women athletes."

Title IX seems like it could make this very difficult

This means 120K for 4 years and what school can afford to pay minor sports athletes who generate zero income for the school that amount of money. Even with the huge amount of money coming in from TV in the Power 2 conferences it's a lot of money.

NCAA president Charlie Baker proposed rule changes Tuesday that would allow Division I schools for the first time to pay their athletes in ways that are not tied to educational resources.

Baker shared the proposed changes in a letter sent to member schools. If Division I schools choose to adopt the rules, they would be allowed to enter into name, image and likeness deals directly with their athletes. The new rules would also create a trust fund for athletes at the richest tier of athletic departments and allow each of those schools to create its own set of rules for recruiting, transfers, roster size and a wide range of other policies.

NCAA pitch: Let D-I schools pay athletes via NIL

2. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the NCAA is holding a gun to it's own head and asking the football schools to pull the trigger and leave.

• Agree Agree x 1