Michigan and USC

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Gator Bill, Nov 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

The Harris Interactive and Coaches polls are out. USC opened up some space on Michigan and unless they lose ground, not likely, in the computer polls they will be in 2nd place.

It looks like all USC has to do to be in the BCS Championship is to beat UCLA.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I think that will be the most compelling game. Ohio State being the more veteran team should win, but it might be a really good game. I just don't think many people outside Michigan wanted to see a UM/OSU rematch.

3. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Mandel's take:

1) That Florida getting shafted would be the best thing to happen to college football: Before you jump all over me, Gators fans, I’m not saying it’s right, but a 12-1 Florida team that gets left out of the national championship game for USC or Michigan may be the BCS victim that finally causes change to the system. Why? Because SEC commissioner Mike Slive happens to be both the current BCS coordinator and the most outspoken proponent of a plus-one game. This would be twice in three years one of his teams gets left out. Second, Florida happens to be one of those glamour programs (no offense, Auburn) that people pay attention to, and they’ve got a high-profile coach and athletic director who will be screaming bloody murder. But most of all, the timing is right. At the time of the 2003/04 controversies, the BCS had more pressing issues on its plate, like a potential antitrust lawsuit and an expiring TV contract. With FOX in place and the championship game now a week later, the structure is in place to seamlessly add at least a plus-one.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I'd be surprised if they did that, it would require redrawing of the contracts for the extra game. Right now there are 10 teams that get BCS bids, going to the plus 1 within the current framework would mean that they would have to go back to 8 teams and the 10 teams was a concession to the non-BCS conferences and taking that away just wouldn't fly. So there would be an extra game that isn't considered in the current contract.

I'm a little surprised that there is no complaining of the 2 team limit in the BCS per conference. That leaves a Wisconsin team out, and if Ark were to beat UF that would leave 3 BCS worthy SEC teams and only 2 can go.

Terry

5. Gator Bill

Terry, if the Gators were to lose to Arkansas we could lose out on the 2nd BCS invitation. It would be according to which bowl wanted us or LSU. If it would be the Orange Bowl then I would like our chances.

On the other hand if the Gators win, as I expect of course, then I think LSU gets the 2nd bid.

Interesting times, and personally I would be happy with the one plus one. I think with the current set up in college football that 4 teams in a playoff is about all we can expect.

So what would be the problem with adding one more bowl, even they were not allowed to host the championship game, and stick with 12 teams with two matchups where the two winners would meet a week later as is set up now?

6. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Terry
    What I don't understand is why Mike Slive lets his officials rob Fla. of games like the one at Auburn. Had his obviously corrupt officials not stolen that game from the Gators, they might well be on their way to the BCS Championship game.

7. Gator Bill

Some day gipper you might grow up enough to get by the one line zingers. Is it because you don't have much else to contribute?

8. Gator Bill

Here's the updated BCS Standings, I don't see Michigan getting back by S. Cal unless they lose to UCLA.

BCS Poll

9. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Actually Bill, I like making fun of Gator fans. They have thin skins, have no imagination and are paranoid dicks.

10. Gator Bill

And gipper with one notable exception I find Notre Dame fans to be gracious, knowledgable and willing to try and understand the other guys point of view.

To bad you can't learn something from the other Notre Dame fans.

But I guess surface thinking and meaningless one line zingers fit your style better.

11. Motorcity Gator

We already have the "plus one" system in place.

The problem is that the two teams are picked before the bowls and not after the bowls. For the 5th BCS bowl throw in the Cap One to appease mid-level conferences if need be.

12. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

i know

<t>what else could circumvent the need for a plus one system. not playing horseshit division Iaa teams.<br/>
    <br/>
    if teams were penalized for playing those games, we may see some more interesting matchups.<br/>
    <br/>
    BTW-this whole BCS thing is the baby of Czar Kramer. Rather than re-invent the wheel every GD year, how about we have some people actually get out and play games.<br/>
    <br/>
    For any reporter to suggest that Florida being left out over a one loss USC is a travesty. a travashamocracy even.</t>

13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I've tried to understand your point of view Bill but quite frankly, it escapes me. Perhaps you need long drawn out, repetetive, epistiles to make a point. Than again, perhaps you have to be told numerous times the same thing so that eventually it sinks in. I've found over they years that being pithy has its virtues. I could spend a lot of time discussing why brevity is the spice of life but then I'd be wasting my time. So, no matter how long or how drawn out this post is going to get, in the end it will just be another of my responses to your personal attacks. This isn't a one liner but the bottom line is the same. I couldn't give a rat's ass if you don't like my one liners. Don't wast your time reading them. On second thought, your time isn't worth much in the first place. Keep reading them and making your pitiful personal attacks. Id say that you're better than that but you've proven too many times you aren't.

14. Gator Bill

Hey Corey, right now it looks likely that UCF is going to cancel out of the game they have scheduled with the Gators and will possibly be replaced by a 1aa team. Not because it's what the Gators want, but because that is what is availble.

Same with the Gator game this year with Western Carolina, that is what was availabe.

We do have the University of Miami scheduled two times within the next few years, on the years there is an extra Sat during football season.

And I will also add that we have had these schedule disussions many times during the years and I will again tell you that the Gators have NOTHING to apologize for with our schedule, year in and year out it ranks up near the top by most objective measures.

But it seems a lot of us always have a better way for the other guy to conduct themselves.

I've seen a lot of enjoyable football from my Gators this year and am set to enjoy the SEC Championship game and our Bowl game where ever that may be.

15. IrishCorey

Bill

<t>you are correct, we've been down this road before.<br/>
    <br/>
    I have no problem with the schedule in years in which Bama doesn't suck, Georgia doesn't suck, Florida State doesn't suck...you get the point.<br/>
    <br/>
    My whole point griping before was 'what happens when the schedule isn't that good?' and no one seems to think that will ever be the case.<br/>
    <br/>
    Forget the Gators..Look to my Irish... teams like Bama asked off the schedule when they went on probation... it happens to everyone...also, teams like North Carolina were 10 win a year clubs when they were inked. Little did anyone know that Mack Brown would bolt for Texas and that Bunting would back stab the whole damn program into the toilet... sometimes it happens, the teams that are suppose to be good just aren't.<br/>
    <br/>
    The absolute refusal to admit this is what has most shaking their heads..</t>

16. Motorcity Gator

Bill,

These guys will never claim to understand how it came about that WCarolina was a fill-in because of the 12th game added only last season.
    They are obviously mental midgets when it comes to understanding Florida's schedule. (Personally I think they do understand but choose to act like they don't)

They also will never admit any weakness in ND's schedule even though it was generally concluded by the sports media before the SC game that ND hadn't played anyone with a pulse for 2 months and that fact was given as reason that SC sprinted out to a 21--3 lead so fast.

ND hadn't seen a real team in weeks. :lol: :lol:

17. IrishCorey

MCG

<t>you dont read much do you?<br/>
    <br/>
    check my post, just above yours.<br/>
    <br/>
    in it, i cite my Irish as an example of sometimes poop happening and teams not being very good.<br/>
    <br/>
    i can admit this, you can't.</t>

18. Motorcity Gator

How many of those teams that ND has played in the last few weeks would you put money on to beat UF's "crappy" opponents like Bama, Ga, FSU or even Kentucky?

19. Gator Bill

Corey no team has any control over the fact that a schedule can go to pot in any given year and I don't blame any team when that happens.

About the only teams I have had a problem with their schedules are teams that intentionally join easy conferences to have cupcake conference schedules. But hey my two best examples there are FSU and Miami and the chickens sure came home to roost there.

20. Gator Bill

gipper, you have an interesting way of deciding when someone is attacking. In post after post you cheap shot the Gators in particular and the SEC in general.

But when someone comes back at you they are attacking you.

Poor baby, I'm extreemly sorry you are so offended.

Even if you don't give a rats ass what I think! :roll: :roll:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.