Meyer to ND. Meyer not to ND. That is the question.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Skybox Moderators, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Skybox Moderators

Skybox Moderators New Member Administrator

George,

This is obviously copy and paste. Please read the announcement about copyright material. The moderators must enforce this policy to keep the Skybox out of legal trouble. We will let this stand until late tonight and delete it if the proper edits have not been made.

2. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Speaking of Urbie and his roots, this will be the third consecutive national title game where both coaches were from Ohio......all four - Tressell, Urbie, Stoops and Miles - were born and raised within 50 miles or so of each other in NE Ohio - the cradle of football! 8)

3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I think the Pelini clan is part of that connection.

4. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Geez not going to get my blood up but let's take a look at a few of these comments.

Ray Graves in the 60's and Doug Dickey in the 70's but let's coninue
    Ain't that great, we might also want to go back to when Harvard and Yale meant something in football.

So what is most meaningful right now the last 20 years or the 60's and 70's?

I heard the other day that the Gators have the best record in football since 1990. Like has been said before to a lot of people that's when Gator football started and there's some truth to that. The day Spurrier arrived as a coach things changed.

But why should that be a negative? I'm as old as anyone here, but I like to live in the here and now and the Gators can compete with anyone.

Oh well let's move on.
    A really good record, no doubt about it.

But it's a poor argument to try to put down a school that won it in 96, 2006 and has a shot again in 2008. Seasons of course not when the game was played.

I sure don't put down Notre Dame's record, but the above obviously comes from someone desperate to cling to the past.
    I'll just let the start from scratch stand on it's own demerits.
    Throwing Clausen under the bus! Nice!
    And delusional.
    I sure couldn't answer this one.
    Ok
    OK

But you have to wonder if that's true why so much activity by Notre Dame fans about this topic?
    They were before Weis also.
    You might think that a person who writes an article like this singing the praises of graduation rates etc. would at least learn how to use a spell check to catch the spelling of professional???
    As they should be, and I hope Charlie understands this as well.
    Ok

It's one thing to promote your own school and standards, but it makes you look stupid when you have no understanding at all of the other persons school and standards.

This person obviously knows nothing about the academic standards at Florida which makes them look kind of pathetic.
    Well I guess I will just have to take this persons expert word.
    Not real accurate, but probably good advice for a lot of coaches.
    Like Lou Holtz?

I have loved Florida football since I showed up on campus in the fall of 1955. We were a small school in a small state at that time and had no realistic chance of winning a National Championship.

Gator fortunes have changed dramatically since that time and mostly since 1990. Not only does it not bother me that our history isn't what some other schools are, I think that's fine. My opinion of some, not all, people who want to live in the past is that they are not all that happy with the present.

While I think it's great to understand history, I think that it's also great to live in the present.

And on that note I can say that this is a great time to be a Florida Gator and I expect that to continue with Urban Meyer at our helm, but that I am also confident that if these dreamers are correct and Meyer would leave that we will keep moving forward as one of the best football programs in the country for quite some time.

5. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Well, I hope UM doesn't leave UF for ND. But .... I was hoping TT would win his 2nd Heisman, last evening.

:D

6. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I'm saving lives here! Bill's heart rate reached "Marathon" proportions. He would have to bowl 33 games without a break to achieve that kind of cardiovascular benefit. :lol:

7. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

It's obvious that this refers to what happend 4 yrs. ago and not last month. This writer is either purposfully trying to create one where none exists or didn't read the date on the Sentinel article.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I've been reading that Weis really faces a daunting surgery/recovery with his knees. Yes both knees have to have surgery. Evidently the one that doesn't look like he was hit by a car, will have to be operated 1st then rehabbed and then the other one will be operated and more rehab. You have to wonder with all of that going on how he will be able to run the Notre Dame football program.

9. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Indeed he is.....Bo went to the same high school as did the Stoops brothers - Youngstown Cardinal Mooney.

10. Terry O'Keefe

The more things change the more they stay the same. I'll bet Sid remembers this....

BTW I'm copying this from NDNation. It's a full text article but it's from 1960 and the person who found it didn't post a source for me to link to and since it's 48 years old I think maybe the author is no longer worried about copyrights if he's even alive.

11. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Interesting Terry.

I don't have that great of a memory about the Notre Dame coach at that time, how much longer did Kuharich last?

George, my heart may have reached marathon levels, but not because of that article. :)

But some of the statements are idiotic and a couple so arrogant that they are almost in la la land. :lol: :lol:

Hey I don't think we've ever had a coach that last longer than Spurrier who was there 12 years. I am hoping Meyer will set the new record. But if he doesn't our program has reached the level of being able to be competitive with anyone on the field and with $$$$$.

So when he leaves we will get another coach that will lead the Gators and keep us at a level where we are.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Bill he was fired after the 62 season and we had an interim coach for 63, Ara Parseghian took the job for the 64 season.

What is interesting about this article is that today's ND fan (not all obviously) is very angry with the ND administration for the decline of the football program. They frequently long for the good old days when the ND Administration was so good with their hires of coaches. They either are too young to remember that Fr. Ted and Fr. Ned along with the sainted Moose Krause sort of forced Leahy to resign (I was told by Hugh Devore who knows that he was forced out), and signed a High School coach named Terry Brennan who failed and was replaced by Kuharich, who failed...then ureaka Ara comes on board and is followed by Devine, but these same guys then hired another HS coach Gerry Faust, who fails..then ureaka Lou Holtz....who they force out...except this time it's another group rather than the guys from the good ole days.

BTW for you ND guys like gipper and Sid, I knew Hugh Devore because he moved to Houston to work for the Astros after he wasn't retained as the football coach and he became my dental patient in the late 70's.

Terry

13. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

LOL, more from Lisa Horn:

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/8527540/10-most-delusional-fan-bases

14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

All I ever knew about him is that although he failed in his year as the interim coach (my sophomore year), he was much loved and respected by everyone. He carried himself with grace and class. He was the epitome of the true Notre Dame man. As far as I was concerned as a student, that year as interim coach did nothing to stain his legacy.

15. Terry O'Keefe

No disrespect to Lisa Horne, but that's a really lame article. Maybe she should be on the list of worst writers on the Internet.

16. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I suspect that Lisa is the type that want to do away with the BCS and MNC and just give every school a certificate of participation at the end of the season.

17. Bear Down Rick

Bear Down Rick Well-Known Member

I have a list for her...

[​IMG]

Woof.

18. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Liasa Horn
    Mike Freeman
    Peter Kerasotis
    Andrea Adelson

........ how do they find work??????

19. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Wow! Great reaction even though my original posting was nuked. And I did post the credits as instructed.

Even from those who have no horse in this race!

[​IMG]

20. AQUILA

AQUILA New Member

I, for one, would love to see Urban Meyer on the Notre Dame sideline. Urban, if you're listening, Notre Dame is way more prestigious than being the coach at that public school in Gainesville. Who cares if the Irish haven't won a bowl game in recent memory? You could potentially be canonized if you took the Irish back to the elite status of yesteryear. Southbend or Gainesville? Which one elicits a response in the psyche of the vast majority of college football fans? The Four Horsemen, Rudy, Touchdown Jesus.... What does Florida have to even compare to these traditions? Gatorade, the Chomp? C'mon! GO TO NOTRE DAME!!!