Let's Have A Discussion About College Football

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Sid, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

The recent "debates" scattered throughout the various topics coupled with yesterday's action by the President of the U. of Georgia (See T-Tom's topic entitled, "This year was a huge success if......") have convinced me that there is room for an intelligent, respectful postseason discussion of the pros and the cons of a playoff system, how it might be implemented, and so forth. To keep the discussion civil and respectful, we would need to self-impose a couple of simple rules: 1) No negative comments about any team or conference, regardless of personal feelings, and 2) Neeedless to say, no personal insults. If we can avoid those temptations, and I'm sure we can, we have some really informed and intelligent folks who can contribute to a meaningful discussion/debate. I'm thinking of Corey and JO'Co, MCG (Yes, THAT MCG :wink: ), and the rest of us college football fans who are long on opinions if short on knowledge. :lol:

I'm not trying to be a moderator. I just would like to see what we could accomplish if we set out from the beginning with the goal of finding out how others think and feel about the one topic on this board that is nearest and dearest to all of our hearts (with the possible exception of our beloved JIF :lol: ) - college football.

2. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Sid,

I have said much about this today in two other topics.

I just responded to Bill in that what I am reading in the local Big Ten country newspaper is not posted here to demean Ohio State.

Do I question the process in how they were selected and do I question their credentials for making the game?

Yes I do....but it's not personal.

I see the same potential next year as the article in the Detroit Free Press points out because OSU very well could lose to USC in Sept. and then mow down what appears to be a weak Big Ten once again and make it right back to the title game without beating anyone of high ranking.

This is my opinion of the BCS selection as it stands.

I used to have the same problem with Penn St years ago before they joined the Big Ten and they were feasting on BC, Temple, Pitt and Navy before any of those teams were very competitive.

3. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I think MCG what Sid is soliciting is what is your opinion as to what we should have and how can we get there.

Right now we have the article about the President of the University of Georgia, we know what Bernie Machen proposed a year ago and we know about the plus one that a couple of conferences are proposing.

Where should we go?

4. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I think a plus one is the best....after the 4 major bowls are all played on New Year's Day or maybe by the 2nd at the latest.

Then the plus one game is on the following Monday a week later or maybe two weeks later to allow for ticket sales and airfares to be bought economically for traveling fans.

The two teams are determined by their BCS ratings after the bowls.

Schedules....bowl performance and general public voter opinion is incorporated into the mix.

USC and Ga each could have surpassed either OSU or LSU with their bowl performances especially if OSU lost to USC in a traditional Rose Bowl...which I think should still be the case.

Otherwise you could seed 8 teams and play the 4 bowls and then have a 4 team semi-final the next week but that's problematic and will never get passed IMHO.

I say shoot for the plus one format....that may just get implemented by the school presidents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.