Jobs in America

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by Motorcity Gator, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I hate to be such a negative Nancy but this has been brewing for the past several years......without naming names :wink: :

"After growing in the 1980s and 1990s, average household incomes adjusted for inflation have been shrinking since 2000.

Also, compared with 1980, three times as many workers contribute to the cost of their health insurance — and those contributions have gone up."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34691428/ns/business-careers//

2. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

In today's economy this could change with a moment's notice but Austin was a good move for Cindy and I.

Our household income has risen a little over 69% from January 30, 2000 until now. Of course we were up over 82% as of tax year 2007. Cindy has received merit raises and a promotion but my salary has been frozen for the past 2 years and bonuses have been zero in that time frame. The lack of profit sharing bonuses far outweighed Cindy's raises which brought us down to just over 69%.

3. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I actually was doing pretty good as well Tom throughout the first few years of the decade but then the financial nuclear bomb hit Michigan and I now count myself as one of those millions of Americans just lucky to have a job....well under where I used to be in income and hoping to pay a few bills and sell my underpriced home in Michigan while having a more costly healthcare plan that doesn't include my 21 year old son until he becomes a full time student again.....if he does.

Hard to be satisfied by comparison and actually I turned the corner on the previous job's income growth in about 1999.

4. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

no one wants to go here with me.. no one.

I would say that Tom makes VERY good points. I'd follow his advice. You have to follow the opportunity and find a place that rewards business/industry instead of punishes it.