Jim Harbaugh - rare breed

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Jim Harbaugh is almost one of a kind.

He says what he believes and everybody else be damned if they can't back him down or disprove him.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/14039382/stanford-now-out-for-blood-thanks-to-harbaugh

I watched in horror in 1984 I believe when he severely broke his arm vs. MSU trying to recover a fumble and then I celebrated in the stands as he backed up his vow that UM would indeed beat Ohio State for the Big Ten crown and Rose Bowl in 1986.

It was one of the best moments of my college football fandom and as I look back over the years and as I have gleaned more about Ohio State over the years I enjoy that moment even more.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well like him or not, he's done a good job at Stanford the previous 2 guys Walt Harris and Buddy Tevens dug a deep hole for the program to climb out of but he seems to have done it.

He has certainly irritated a lot of people though as the coach, and he doesn't care, kind of like the game with USC last year when he tacked on some extra scores and he had an incident with Jimmy Clausen in 2008 at ND after we beat him. Clausen went up to him to shake his hand and he refused and told Clausen to F&&k off.

I guess what many have to be wondering is how long will he stay at Stanford? Will he go to the NFL? Will the NFL hire another college coach when it's rare that college coaches succeed, Jimmie Johnson is prime example of success, but there are far more failures including recently Nick Saban and Bobby Petrino.

Bobda says he does not think he would ever coach at Michigan, mainly I think because of the NFL. But now that RR seemingly has UM going in the right direction it doesn't look like there will be an opening there in the near future.

3. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Harbaugh grew up in Palo Alto. It's a nice place. If he goes anywhere, I'm betting he follows the same road that the "genuis" took and coach the 49ers.

4. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Nice touch.....ever the gracious one. Stay classy Gator......

5. Motorcity Gator

You bet BT.... :wink: :D

6. BuckeyeT

At least you're consistent...Bill, Ro, Wendy - wherever you are - you have my sympathies.

7. Motorcity Gator

Guess you had to be there BT....in 1986 that is.

Or...maybe you were.

Hey.....your dislike of me has nothing to do with Florida....I see....it's because of that Michigan game.... :D

8. BuckeyeT

Dude, it seems as if you put forth great effort, take great pride in and make it your life's work to give people reasons to dislike you.....I just want to take this time to congratulate you on being successful at something.....hope it works out for ya.