Irish Graduation Rate Tops.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

There was a new report issued on Jan 19th and the Irish did very well! We also are highly ranked (maybe #1) in the Directors Cup through the Fall Standings.

2. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

This saddens me. They have got to tighten up. Or do they?

from today's Dayton Daily News...

The Buckeyes still lag behind their Big Ten brethren in graduation rates. Only 61 percent of their student-athletes entering school in 1998 (the most recent figures available) earned degrees in the six-year allowable window, putting them last in the conference.

The football team's 31-percent rate was third-worst in the Big Ten.But coach Jim Tressel's squad fared better in the NCAA's newly created Graduate-Success Rate, which takes into account players leaving school while academically eligible as well as incoming transfers who graduate.

The team's GSR was 54 percent

3. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

:D

George,

I think it is going to take some time to sort all these new requirements out and see where everyone stands.

Tressel has done a much better job of recruiting student athletes. Some of Coop's recruits were terrible in that regard.

According to some recent reports, we do not stand to lose any scholarships in the five major sports.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I can tell you that if they raise the standards (which they have), the coaches around the country will adapt. They really have no choice, the loss of scholarships is too big a penalty to ignore for the coaches.

Plus most of the colleges across the country all have enough majors where you don't have to be anymore than an average kid who goes to class and does his work to graduate. It ain't rocket science. I don't however expect to see an increase in hard sciences as athletes majors! :)

Did you know Texas A&M has one of the best Tourism dept's in the country! :)

Check this out for a course load!

http://www.rpts.tamu.edu/ucourses.htm