I'M CURIOUS IF THIS WILL BE A FIRST IF IT DOES HAPPEN

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN, Feb 23, 2006.

1. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Actors and Atheletes have done it, i.e. Ronald, Arnold ,Jesse etc., but has a Div 1 coach ever reached the Governership?

ERIC OLSON
    AP Sports Writer

LINCOLN, Neb. — Barry Switzer and Tom Osborne were fierce college football coaching rivals in the 1970s and '80s. Now they're playing on the same team, trying to get Osborne elected governor of Nebraska.

Switzer was the swashbuckler from Oklahoma, the son of a bootlegger who broke Cornhuskers fans' hearts so many times by beating their beloved Big Red.

Osborne was the stoic, cerebral coach whose inability to beat Switzer's Sooners led him to emulate his nemesis' offense.

After resigning from OU in 1989, Switzer went on to become a Super Bowl champion coach for the Dallas Cowboys. Osborne, after retiring in 1997 with 255 victories, became a three-term congressman.

More opposite personalities you will not find. Switzer liked to live hard and talk fast. Osborne wouldn't so much as cuss in public.

What strange bedfellows politics can make?

"I never voted party. Never cared about that," Switzer said. "I always voted for the guy, the person, the man or lady I thought was the best representative for me."

Switzer was the main attraction at a fundraising event for Osborne's gubernatorial campaign. Osborne will face incumbent Dave Heineman and Omaha businessman Dave Nabity in May's Republican primary.

Switzer, now retired and living in Norman, Okla., lit up when Osborne walked into a conference room at campaign headquarters about an hour before the fundraiser.

"Hey, Coach, how ya doin'? Good to see you," Switzer said.

Osborne, smiling, grabbed Switzer's hand.

"You're looking lovely," Osborne said.

"Lovely? Well, thank you. That's kind of nice of you to say," said Switzer, dressed sharp in his dark, pinstripe suit.

No longer competing on the field, Osborne and Switzer say they've been friends for years.

"The fans used to think Oklahoma was the enemy," Osborne said. "They actually made us better."

Osborne and Switzer are about the same age — Osborne is 69, Switzer 68 — and they both became head coaches in 1973. Switzer was 12-5 against Osborne.

"A lot of great memories with Barry over the years," Osborne said. "The thing I always appreciated about our relationship is that it was always amicable no matter the circumstances. You see so many rivalries like Ohio State-Michigan and Florida-Florida State get nasty. This one was never that way."

Switzer says he's happy to help a friend, just as he did when former OU quarterback J.C. Watts entered politics in 1994. Watts was a four-term Republican congressman.

Switzer wouldn't answer when asked if he were Republican or Democrat. He said he has switched affiliations a time or two.

Osborne hasn't shied from using his history as a football coach in his campaign. A number of his former players have voiced support for him, and he participated in a recent fundraiser with a number of them.

Switzer dismissed criticism from Heineman that Osborne's background as a College Football Hall of Fame coach doesn't qualify him to run the state.

"I'd say he's scared," Switzer said of the sitting governor.

"I think it's the greatest preparation, being a football coach. We're taking young men for four or five years, 24-7, hundreds of them. And we're trying to develop them to be productive citizens for them and their families the rest of their lives. You think that isn't responsibility? What is the career that qualifies you to be a governor or senator or congressman? Law school? We've got enough of those guys."

Switzer said he believes in Osborne's conservative politics and that he has the best interests of Nebraskans at heart.

Switzer said he doubts he'll ask Osborne to offer support in a campaign. Switzer said he has been approached a couple of times about entering politics, but he has no interest.

"I always thought I was kind of too selfish, not wired to be a public servant," Switzer said. "It takes a special person to be a public servant. I want to do things on my pace, my time."

But Switzer said he would be proud to play a role in helping Osborne become Nebraska governor.

"He's got a Ph.D. He's smart. He's a great, quick study," Switzer said of Osborne, who holds a doctorate in educational psychology from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. "I'm a different personality than him, but he's a hell of a lot smarter."

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well I don't know about that with regard to Ohio State Michigan....well except for that blood thristy group of guard dogs that sniffed Lloyds luggage. :)

Terry

3. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I don't know about all that....but I will say, like his father before him, and like my father before me, my young son did quite well in his prepatory lessons in advance of his first Stripehead game....! :lol:

[​IMG]

Terry

4. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

What's with those silhouettes on the kid's jersey?

5. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Classic branding logo.....BadA$$ Baby Buckeye Ninja! Can't believe you ain't seen 'em in Jersey! They'd be a natural market fit! 8)

Terry