How long will it take?

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by Tennessee Tom, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

I officially retired as of 5pm central time yesterday, 10-March. I turned off all iPhone alarms last night when I went to bed.

At 5am this morning, my eyes popped open like the alarm had just gone off. No alarm sounding except for the one inside my head.

How long before that routine of so many years goes away? :(

• Like Like x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

A long time! Routines developed over the years are hard to change.

3. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I wake up early every morning but I attribute it more to turning into my father than my pre retirement routine.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. jif5

jif5 Well-Known Member

double T !! It never goes away...for 45 years I got up at 3AM 7 days a week now retired a hundred years and still same routine!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I set my alarm Monday through Friday at 5:25A. It might actually go off 5 times per year. I haven't slept later than 6:30 since my son was born in 1980. He got me hyper to sound or motion and that's the way I still am.

6. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your retirement, I wake up at 4 am and stare at the ceiling wishing I was :(

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I wish I had one of these at my disposal to make my flights! No virus up there and at 2Kmph/ground speed!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

For those that follow on FaceBook, this will be old news. I have, for a long time, been known for my love of high performance cars and racing. In preparation for retirement, I gave all of that up. The highest level of performance for me now is a Fiat 124 Spider Abarth. It is a nimble light weight 4 cylinder turbo 170 hp car that is so fun to sling around the corners of the mountain roads in Tennessee and the Carolinas.

Our daily drivers are now two BMWs. Cindy has a X3 plug in hybrid. I drive a X4 (no hybrid). This is a large change for both of us but the vehicles are extremely comfortable and fuel efficient. Didn't hurt that my brother is an equipment engineer at the BMW plant here in Greer South Carolina where every X series vehicle is made (all X series vehicles are made in that facility and shipped all over the globe). A 10% family discount made the decision easy.

The X3 came with a 120VAC charger that was extremely slow to charge the vehicle... approximately 10 hours from 5% to 100% charge. My brother and I added a 240VAC 50 amp circuit to the garage to power a better charger. The 120VAC was only capable of 6 amps. That is 720 watts. the 240VAC is capable of 40 amps which is 9600 watts, 13 times the power for a charge time of about 2 hours.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Yeah, you really don't want to be charging your car off 120V if you have the option...

• Like Like x 1