Hot Air Balloons ...again

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by wzt, Jan 20, 2006.

1. wzt

wzt New Member

Now what are the odds that I finally post a topic on the day the BB format is changed?! I actually worked through the afternoon and didn't check for responses. So I check this morning and it's all gone!

Sorry for a repeat question, but did anyone have hot air balloon experience? We're thinking of surprising my Mother with a ride for her birthday, either here in FL or near my sister in SanFrancisco.

Thanks,
    Wendy

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I'll bet Tom has the replies to your topic in his archive. I'll email him and ask.

Terry

3. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

HI WENDY

<t>Wendy, Did you see my reply yesterday?<br/>
    <br/>
    My wife and I went on a hot air Balloon ride. It was fun. It's not scary. We were only 400-500 feet up and it only went about 3-4 miles.,<br/>
    <br/>
    Not cheap, I think about $ 150-175. <br/>
    <br/>
    If it's a nice day and not too windy go for it.</t>

4. wzt

wzt New Member

AJ, I got into other things and didn't check back until this morning. So I wasn't even sure if anyone had replied at all. I'm checking regularly today!

It sounds like a great experience that's worth that cost. I'm finding ~$175 also. My mother is a bit scared of heights, but enamoured with hot air balloons. We've been to a few ballooning festivals to see the mass ascensions, unique balloon shapes, and evening "glows". I was hoping that her excitement about riding in one would overcome her apprehension. But I was curious if someone who's actually been for a ride would substantiate that.

Thanks!

5. vicm

vicm New Member

I bought a baloon ride at a helping hands auction. Plan to take it early Spring with my daughter. We watched several flights from her porch and it looks like a blast. Seattle and surrounds are awash in beautiful sceanery. We are really looking forward to it. Vic

6. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Hey! What about the dogs? Perhaps while the family is out drinking wine on a hot-air balloon ride, the dogs can be treated to a nice boat ride!

[​IMG][/code]

7. wzt

wzt New Member

If my dogs are out on the water while I'm gone they'd better be wearing concrete shoes .... :wink: .

8. Terry O'Keefe

I did opine that

1. Heights scare me, so I have no personal recommendations.

2. I have some friends who did a Hot Air Balloon in Napa Valley and really enjoyed it. Said it was the highlight of their trip.

9. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Collective replies posted to this topic before the upgrade

<t>Wendy, <br/>
    <br/>
    Terry asked me if I still had the moderator notifications from this topic from before the upgrade. Ido. Here is a copy and paste from each reply that was made before the upgrade:<br/>
    <br/>
    Terry O’Keefe wrote: hmmmm yeah helicopter, sherrifs dept, teenage party out of control....I have some vague recollection of that incident. <br/>
    <br/>
    Terry <br/>
    <br/>
    AJNJ wrote: Wendy, I've been in one before. Quik Check convenience store sponsors a balloon festival in New Jersey every summer. <br/>
    <br/>
    It's pretty neat.You feel like you are floating and you feel pretty safe. They don't go too far up, maybe 400-500 feet and the distance was maybe 2-3 miles. It's not cheap, I think I paid $ 150-175 each. If it's a nice sunny day and not real windy, then go for it.<br/>
    <br/>
    If you like the balloon , then try para sailing sometime. That is awesome! <br/>
    <br/>
    Whobedis wrote: Terry, Remind me sometime to tell you about the one that crashed landed in the field next to my house. Scared the hell out of me and the dogs were crappin yellow for weeks. Though I must admit it doesn't compare to a helicopter story I heard about <br/>
    <br/>
    Terry O’Keefe wrote: They look pretty up there in the sky, but I'm afraid of heights and even walking across a rope bridge it a bit much for me. So one of those things swaying in the breeze would probably cause me to have a heart attack.<br/>
    <br/>
    JIF5 wrote: I saw one launched today for Pluto. It is supposed to take 9 years to get there. Do you think she would like that?</t>

10. Tennessee Tom

Oops!!!

<t>Wendy,<br/>
    <br/>
    I just realized that I posted those relies in reverse order. Start at the bottom and read up for the correct chronological order.</t>

11. wzt

wzt New Member

Thanks for looking that up, Tom.

It looks like it would be a lot of fun. Just need to convinve my sister that that's what we should do. That balloon ride that is - not the trip to Pluto.

12. Jack O'Brien

Jack O'Brien New Member

I took a ballon ride around San Diego about 15 years ago. Got the name from a brochure in the hotel lobby, Del Mar Balloon Rides.

Choice of sunrise or sunset trips. The thermals are supposed to be better at those times. If there's no breeze there's no flight. If the wind to's stiff there's no flight. On a clear day sunrise is the more spectacular trip but there's no guarantee about clouds, it's colder, and still very dark when you trying to find the launch location. But seeing the ballons light up the sky while being inflated in the dark is neat.

Booked a sunset trip and went to the location (a large field) and there were dozens of balloon being filled. After you find you contracted crew and are checked in, there's a quick, "Wanna help?" "But I don't know anything about flying a balloon?" you think. "Don't worry, neither do we", they respond. Then one of them hands you a bicycle pump and asks you to inflate the balloon. They like to tease the rookies. I think my designated "volunteer" task was helping to carry the cooler from their truck to the basket.

I think there were 7 of us in the gondola. Three couples and the captain.

The launch causes the weirdest sensation. You rise so slowly, there's no feeling of gravity like the sensation you feel when an elevator rises. If you're watching the ground when the balloon leaves the earth it "feels" like the earth is pulling away below you.

At first we were in traffic with other balloons (captain was in radio contact with others) but they separated quickly and we had a sense of being alone in the sky.

The quiet is impressive. As you drift with the wind you move at the same speed so there's no wind noise. Aside from some chatter in the basket (most of the first timers were silent) the only sound was the occasional woosh when the captain opened the gas valve for a burst of hot air to raise the balloon. It can get a little warm if you're tall and standing close to the overhead burner. Also dress appropriately. Sunrise or sunset it's cooler up there than on the ground.

We drifted over houses and hillsides. The sunset was great! Sailing over a golf course we came upon an owl hovering about 75 feet off the ground. We drifted within about 5 feet of the owl's head but weren't noticed as the owl was face down intently searching for dinner. The captain coughed loudly, and the owl went into the "deer in headlights" position upon the realization of company. LARGE company! The owl reared it's head up and back, feet down, without falling, then shot off to the left like afterburners kicked in. Pardon the pun but it was a hoot!

The ride was about 30 minutes then we gently landed in a field to an awaiting ground crew. While they packed the balloon, the captain broke out champagne and strawberries and issued our "wings".

One side note, my companion at the time vocied some trepidation about the safety of "flying" without wings, a motor, AND a parachute but cheerfully went along. She did fine right up to the landing. About 30 off the ground she fainted. Turned out she was terrified about the ride. She had never ridden a roller coaster because of a fear of heights. She was so awed with the flight she forgot about her fear till the landing neared. The champagne revived her. And the captain teased her about earning her wings as in all his previous flights all his passengers had been conscious upon landing.

My flight was well worth the money.

Enjoy!

13. Tennessee Tom

Intel's ballon...

<t>Although I never had a chance to take a ride, Intel has a hot air balloon that they purchased in 1995. They named it after one of the worst PR disasters in Intel's history. It is called "Floating Point". Pretty catchy name for a hot air balloon. <br/>
    <br/>
    For those of you that might not remember, Intel had an issue with the first Pentium processors. The issue was with floating point calculations. Seems that if you calculated the trajectory of a bullet aimed at a gnat’s ass from 2000 yards, the Pentium error would actually have the bullet hit the gnat in the left eye.<br/>
    <br/>
    Intel offered to replace the processors of anyone desiring to do so but that offer came after bad PR.<br/>
    <br/>
    I was on a list to get a ride but left Intel before my name was selected.</t>

14. wzt

wzt New Member

Thanks Jack! What a great description! Now I want to go for a ride whether it's for Mom's birthday or not.

I don't think she's as bad about heights as your friend. She'll get on a roller coaster or be OK at overlooks (either natural like Grand Canyon or Buildings like Sears Tower) as long as there's a significant barrier. She's mainly uneasy about unblocked drop-offs, like undeveloped mountain edges or even high, steep stadium steps when it's empty. But I keep thinking that those baskets are waist to chest high so yo don't feel like you're about to fall out. She even said once that it's only worse when there's connection from you to the ground that makes the height "real". I guess like looking down the edge of building or high, steep stairs like the stadium. She's better when the space is separated like looking off a bridge and hopefully from a balloon.

Maybe we should go ahead and get her the ride, and if she doesn't want to do it, I get to go twice!!

15. Terry O'Keefe

Tom...lol..I remember that floating point error with the original Pentium. Didn't it only effect the Pentium 90?

Terry

16. Tennessee Tom

Pentium 60 was the offender. Pentium 90 was the replacement offered.

17. vicm

vicm New Member

Terry, I'm with you on this height thing. I don't like heights unless I am in an air craft. Was a WWII pilot, but still approach this balloon thing with some intrepidation. I think my daughter will calm me down. She actually paid to bail out of a perfectly sound airplane.