Hey Tom!

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by Gator Bill, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

What do you think of the Intel chip being used in the New Apple Computers?

As I think you know I am using a Apple I Book now, for several years, and am considering buying an Apple I Mac with the new chip when we move to NC permanetly next year.

Gator Bill

2. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

What the f...

<r>Semiconductor industry makes strange bed fellows. <E>:shock:</E> <br/>
    <br/>
    As you know, I left Intel in January of 2000. I am not in the know on what Intel does anymore. This move does not surprise me though. Macintosh used the 68000 chips made by Motorola for quite some time. It was a big shock to the industry when Apple announced the acceptance of the IBM Power PC for a processor in the MAC. Once that door was opened, moving to Intel inside was not that big of a leap.<br/>
    <br/>
    I view this as a good move for Apple and a market share move for Intel. I may be prejudice, but I would rather have the Intel chip. <E>8)</E> <br/>
    <br/>
    My question is this: How long will it be before AMD tries to move in on the action?</r>

3. Gator Bill

Tom, I know you don't work for Intel any longer. But I was curious as to what you thought about the move from the Apple perspective.

I don't know much about AMD except that I have had a couple of computers with their chips, including my current desktop.

But I'm going to buy a new desktop when we move to North Carolina and I'm about 80 - 90 percent sure it's going to be the 20" I - Mac.

Gator Bill

4. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

I have been considering the possibility of moving to MAC or at least adding a MAC to my collection. The availability of an Intel processor might make that decision a little easier to make. :D

5. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Bill,

Nothing will have changed from the end users standpoint technically They moved to Intel because of the faster chips, and the availablity of faster and cooler chips for notebook computers. There old chip just wasn't keeping up with the speed of the newer windows boxes.

So if you are buying a new Mac, you definitely want to get one with the Intel chips.

In the end though it's still a Mac. It's still a proprietary system, albiet a good one!

Terry

6. Gator Bill

Terry, my laptop that I am using right now is an Apple IBook.

Next year before we make the move to North Carolina permanent I'm planning on buying an IMac. It will have the Intel chip as they are putting them in all their products now.

Gator Bill

7. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I was just at a meeting in Las Vegas with Sharp Electronics. The keynote speaker was Steve Wozniak. Got the whole inside story on Apple... very interesting.

8. Gator Bill

Well George follow up on that comment. :)

Gator Bill