Golf

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

So it's the only game going right now and it's hard not to notice that over the weekend that the top 2 players are guys who have decidedly unconventional swings.

Bryson "the hulk" Dechambeau has the single length irons, the stiff as a board forearms that just look weird when he sets up to swing. But you can't deny that he's knocking the crap out of the ball. Remember a few years ago when Brooks Koepka was knocking the crap out of the ball and winning 2 PGA's and 2 US Opens? He looked like he could play middle linebacker. Then injury and he's not been the same player. I wonder if Bryson's body can hold up, no matter how many protein shakes he drinks.

Did anybody see the comparison of the swing tempo's between Dechambeau and I think it was Chris Kirk? They had them paired up side by side and synced. They both started their back swings, but Bryson was finishing his swing before Kirk got to the top of his swing? Pretty Amazing.

Did anybody see Bryson hit that 230 yard 8 iron? Yikes.

Then there is Matthew Wulff. That kid has the craziest swing I've ever seen, that dip thing he does right before he starts his back swing, how did he get that move perfected. But he hits it, by normal non Dechambeau standards, a mile. He's only 21. But that swing just seems to be one of those swings that when he times it up it's great but then like Phil and Bubba Watson, when the timing is off a little who knows where it's going.

Also I have to say that I don't really miss the fans as a viewer. I definitely don't miss the idiots yelling "You Da Man" or something else when a player hits his drive.

Also I have to say I'm having a hard time warming up to Dechambeau.

2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Dechambeau averaged 350 yards driving. Technology and training have rendered most courses defenseless. Knee deep roughs and billiard.table greens are about all that is left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

When rested and calm, he probably doesn't have an issue. Late in the back 9, or when the pucker happens and things get tight, can he stay relaxed and ensure the timing/rhythm stays synced?

The world is not full of geniuses, and often times it is the stupidest person in the room that has to make up for their lack of cognitive ability with volume. (Both in loudness and quantity.)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Concrete hard, billiard table greens.

5. Terry O'Keefe

350 yds and he hit a ton of fairways, and those fairways were not esp wide. If he keeps this up what's going to happen when he plays a course with some wide fairways? I thought about Tiger Woods who even during the height of his power struggled off the tee with accuracy. That's what plagues Phil as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Things are constantly changing in how modern technology changes sports. Incidentally no spectators will be allowed at the forthcoming Memorial Tournament. The announcement was made yesterday July 6th.

7. Terry O'Keefe

As I said Don, as a viewer I haven't missed the fans. The Memorial was going to be the first tourney with some fans, but I can certainly see why they decided to go with no fans. I wonder if Jack will be at the Tournament? He's always such a presence on the broadcasts and I look forward to his commentary esp on the weekend. I guess he could do the same from his home in Florida, Nick Faldo has been doing his commentary from his home in Orlando.

8. Don Ballard

Good question Terry, I have not seen anything in print yet. I would not be surprised to seem him at the tournament for the presentation to the winner.

9. Terry O'Keefe

My nephew is going to be a caddie for the Korn Ferry event this weekend in San Antonio. He's had to get tested as part of the protocol. He's negative, but will have to follow all the protocols for the tour just like the other caddies.

10. Don Ballard

Good for him Terry!:cool:

11. Terry O'Keefe

His player is Jimmy Stanger, young player out of UVA. Finished 8th in the last tournament in Utah.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Interesting note, if my nephew had failed his Virus test and not been able to caddy this week the PGA tour would have given him $5,000 as compensation.

13. Terry O'Keefe

Ryder Cup is done for this year, will be in 2021. Presidents Cup pushed to 2022.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Tiger Woods will be playing at the Memorial Tournament next week. Good to see him back, he always makes things interesting when he's in the tourney.

15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Interesting that they're playing next week at the same location. This week was supposed to be the John Deere Classic I think. What happened?

16. Don Ballard

17. Terry O'Keefe

The American Century Celebrity Golf Tournament is being played this weekend, without spectators. I'm a bit surprised though, I wonder if they have done all the testing that the PGA Tour has done? No information on positive tests that I have seen. I don't know what the participation is as compared to previous years, but they have a lot of players (70 listed on website). Charles Barkley is in the field!

18. Terry O'Keefe

I thought the kid, Morikawa was going to cruise, he played so perfectly in the 1st 2 rounds, but he came back to earth and went from 3 strokes up on Justin Thomas to 3 shots behind. Still in the final group along with JT and Viktor Hovland.

19. Terry O'Keefe

They are really getting into it early today. The leaders are already on the back nine. The tournament is going to be over by the time CBS goes on the air. I don't think I have ever seen a situation like this. I wonder if ther is some weather situation ahead this afternoon

20. Terry O'Keefe

Well JT choked that one away, up by 3 with 3 to play and ends up in a playoff. Bad drive on the 3rd playoff hole finished him. Colin Morikawa gets the win the 2nd of his young career.