GET SOME FREQUENT FLYER MILEAGE WILL YA FLORIDA

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN, Aug 13, 2010.

1. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Since the year 2000 (who the hell was president then anyway?) here's the Gators Away Game, Non-Con oppponets

FSU = 5 times for a 3-2 record
    Miami = 1 time for a 0-1 record

In 10 years, you folks never made it out of the state for a Non-Con Road game?.......Really?!!

LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, IN ABOUT 3-WEEKS, THE 2010-2011 CFB SEASON WILL BE UPON US......DO YOU HEAR IT?....IT KINDA SOUNDS LIKE A TRAIN DON'T IT?......

2. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Let me beat you to the punch Tampa Bay Dave.....

NEBRASKA in that same time frame played Non-Con Road games at:

Va Tech
    Wake
    So Cal
    Pitt
    So Miss
    PSU
    ND......for a 4-3 record....and....we have one this year at Wash. Gators have ZIPPO Non-Con road games this year.

I can't wait for the E-1 excuse.... :wink:

**Remember kiddies, if you can't stand the heat, get used to take out.**

WE'RE 3 WEEKS AWAY BABY!!!!!

3. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

OMG....(copyright 2010, Jiffer inc.)

This can't be true....

Since 1985....(I was a wet behind the ears, **** diggin' PFC at that time BTW)

UF has had....

2......I'll repeat.......2 (Two) OOC games, out side their home of Florida....

9/21/1990 @ Syracuse (10-2) L 21 38

9/23/1988 @ Memphis (2-9) W 38 13

WTFO.... :D :lol: :p :wink:

4. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Never should have played at Memphis......Emmitt got hurt in that game.

Who else would NU play.....The University of Mutual of Omaha? :D

5. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

The question that brings up is why the heck did we go to Memphis for an away game. We won't make that mistake again.

Tampa Bay Gator made a good point, who the heck are the Huskers going to play an away game with in their home state? :roll: :roll:

No excuses, things are what they are. We have a winning formula now and I think we will stick with it.

6. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME....THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME....THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME.... :D

[​IMG]

7. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

You got that right AJ

8. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

The point being that you gotta take the Show on the road TBDave.

I suspect that there's a higher percentage of UF fans at away games because they're at FSU and UM.

Different Story if you go to places like The Vatican, The Shoe, Happy Valley, etc...

You guys gotta try it sometime, might make the white hat whiter.

9. Motorcity Gator

AJ...I wouldn't mind at all if UF skipped playing the Seminoles on occasion just to get in some home-and-homes with other nationally recognized teams.

As Bill says though the formula has been working well when needed at BCS time so why mess with it.

Otherwise I think UF and FSU are mandated by state law to play each other annually.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Doubt if it's a state law mandate, but no doubt a big threat of bad things if UF tried to get out of playing FSU.

Although, not to go over old stuff too much, but FSU continues to schedule another tough OOC game every year even though they play UF. This year they play Okalahoma. Georgia has found it's way to Stillwater Oklahoma and to Phoenix Arizona in recent years and stiil been able to play SEC East and UF and Ga. Tech. This year the 'Dawgs travel to Colorado. Just sayin' other SEC teams are getting out there and playing more than 1 tough non-conf game.

11. Motorcity Gator

Good examples I think re: FSU and Ga.

WRT to FSU I have read their fan base is not all that enamored with the ACC schedule although I think in recent times the noles have had their hands full with it. It probably helps them to schedule home & homes with team like OU.

RE Ga. maybe they have a revenue agreement with Ga Tech that enables the Dawgs to expand their horizons a little.....who knows.

I do know that UF's home games are either sellouts or close to it and that is some serious revenue when the stadium seats 90,000 so giving up one of those hom games must look pretty imposing to Fla AD when considering budgets, etc.

12. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

I know the subject has been brought up many times about UF not playing non-conf away games and the reasons for it. In my best effort of understanding without bias, here is what I understand.

- UF has too many scheduled SEC games and the requirement that entails.

- The very real politics of playing FSU every year.

- The revenue of playing as many home games as possible thus making it hard to schedule with teams that want a home and away series.

- The Georgia game played in Jacksonville causes conflict with a home/away series...

- As MCG said, the current status is a no brainer for the Gators, why change it if it benefits the program.

Now on the other hand (man its hard to say this) Huskerman is correct. Looking at this away from the land of orange and blue the Gators do not play non conf away games. The arguement is we play in the SEC the toughest conference in the land and you go play in Alabama or Auburn.

But playing in a location where your team has played every year for the last 75 years is not the same as going out to Oregon to play. The Canes just finished up a series with Oklahoma and Texas A&M and go up to Ohio St in about 30 days for a home and away series. It is very different, I remember the players saying when they played Penn St that just getting to Happy Valley was a trip and how it affected all the players. There are real factors that affect the team when the enviroment is radically different. I always hate playing at Boston College because our warm weather team is built on speed and thats negated when its snowing and 20 degrees outside.

I hear what the Gators are saying and its true, why change a good thing...But I understand why other fans comment about why in the heck are they not playing any non conf games when every other school does...

Ralph

13. Motorcity Gator

This is why it ultimately works for a fan like me and I am sure it works for Foley.

When the day comes that UF is not selling tickets....as has been the case for FSU and Miami....or if their BCS rating is negatively affected then I think Foley might consider trying to secure a home and home with a national power. But he will probably be the retired AD by that time.

For this season I think having to potentially play Bama twice....neither one in the Swamp..... is all we want in an away schedule.....not to mention UF plays at a revamped FSU this season as well.

14. Terry O'Keefe

UGA has the same exact situation as UF. While I applaud Gator fans support of their AD's scheduling philosophy, it's still too bad that fans of College football in general aren't treated to a major UF/intersectional game such as Alabama/Penn State or UGA/Colorado or Tenn/Oregon or Ohio State/Miami, FSU/Oklahoma, Notre Dame/USC, etc, etc.

And please don't counter with we need the money. SEC Contract is apparently the richest in College Sports, Gators no doubt get the max you can get in College Football these days between their own network, the SEC contract and BCS bowl money pretty much every year.

15. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Atta boy Doc....get 'em to see through the fog...

16. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

My name is Corey O'Connor and I endorse this thread.

17. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

18. Motorcity Gator

Georgia has played at AZSt and at OkSt recently but other than one game at Clemson no one else since 1990.

Since that time UF played at Syracuse and at Miami the year after the Canes lost to OSU in the title game and I think UF is at Miami in 2011. Without the canes in the picture I think you would see a couple of non-con home and homes for UF since that 12th game addition a few years back.

Additionally....care to compare Ga Tech vs. FSU over the last twenty years?

I don't see Ga. as being favorable by comparison to Florida here.

19. Terry O'Keefe

I never question whether or not the UF schedule is a fair schedule, just that it's too bad that you guys don't get out and play teams home/home from other sections of the country like Alabama, Georgia, Tenn all do. And I don't buy the reason that you can't is FSU and money.

20. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Why change a good schedule? Why waste financial resources on unecessary travel? So some football fan who's done nothing for UF gets to sit at home and watch this neat inter-sectional game on TV? :eek:

Recap of # times (only schools ranked at least 4 times) a school's schedule was in NCAA's top-20 in difficulty over last 10 seasons [2009->2000] and the average ranking of those top-20 schedules:

8 times in 10 seasons
    8 - 4.6 - Florida - SEC
    8 - 7.8 - Arkansas - SEC
    8 - 11.0 - Georgia - SEC

7 times
    7 - 8.9 - Florida St. - ACC

6 times
    6 - 8.2 - Oklahoma - Big-12/10
    6 - 9.3 - Arizona - PAC
    6 - 10.3 - Miami (Fla.) - ACC
    6 - 13.7 - Virginia Tech - ACC
    6 - 14.3 - Colorado - Big12/10->PAC