Gentlemen, start your drafts!!

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I'll be in a root canal seminar all day, so I won't know who went where. I hoping Brady doesn't go to Oakland, but I do hope he goes to either Detroit or Cleveland. It seems that with all the WR's the Lions have drafted he'd be a perfect fit for them.

[​IMG]

I'm also hoping that the Texans don't draft Leon Hall, and trade down and pickup somebody else along with an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Terry

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Terry
    While the Lions have drafted wide receivers in 3 of the last 4 yrs., their ability to find the donkey in a herd of horses has never been better. Charles Rogers, the no.2 overall pick out of MSU had two major flaws. First his collar bones were made out of china and he was a doper. When his collar bone had finally heald enough for him to play, he flunked his third drug test and was suspended 4 games. The gave up on the dog, cut him and sued him for a return of some of the bonus money that they paid him. As far as I know, no one picked him up and he's out of football.

Which brings us to the Lions pick of 2005 Mike Williams. He's been overweight from the minute he reported. He's shown little desire to really get himself into top shape to play in the NFL. There were a number of games last year when he wasn't even dressed. He on his way out of Detroit shortly.

After Roy Williams, a rare good pick by the Lions, their no. 2 receiver at the end of last season was Mike Furry. He was so lightly thought of coming out of college that he wasn't even drafted. Leave it to the Lions to spend millions on pure dogs.

We could talk about the Lions O line but it's too upsetting to talk about the human pylons.

3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday. :roll:

Seriously, I'm sure your patients appreciate your dedication.

4. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Interesting pick by the Browns in 1st Round. Defintely need help on the offensive line.

Wonder who will pick Quinn now? Glad he did not end up in Cleveland.

Don

5. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I guess you're not so glad now? :wink:

6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmm.

The following is a paid message directed to the web site entitled dontdraftbradyquinn.com................

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I wonder if those bozos will put their money where their mouths are and drop their season tickets. Bet not. :twisted:

7. BobW

BobW New Member

Charlie Frye ought to put his house on the market right now.

8. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

George,

I really did not expect Quinn to still be available, when the Brown's second pick came around. Looks like they (Cleveland) came out like smelling a rose)

Just hope things work out for Brady.

Don

9. Terry O'Keefe

I can't feel too badly for Quinn, he's a multimillionare now and will make more money with his first contract than I've made in my whole life. But he's bound to be a little disappointed at being taken low. I'm sure he's glad to be with the Browns though. They invested in a top free agent OL's in Eric Steinbeck and the best OT in the draft in Joe Thomas, they have added Jamal Lewis who is a very good NFL back (maybe not as good as he once was, but good no less). The Browns have some good WR's in Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow Jr., Travis Wilson, Joe Jurevicius, Tim Carter, and Joshua Cribbs so he won't lack for targets.

I was happy with the Texans pick of the Louisville kid, he's so young but still you read so much good about him that you have to like him. Add in Ryans the LB from Alabama who was the defensive rookie of the year and Demario Williams who I still think will be a great DE and we have the makings of a good young defense.

As usual Mark May could resist taking a shot at a Notre Damer when he said the Browns blew it by trading up for Quinn when they could have waited and gotten John Beck of BYU or Trent Edwards of Stanford.

As for my Root Canal course... I hope to have fewer ones like this! :)

[​IMG]

10. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I thought the Browns did amazingly well. IMHO Joe Thomas was the best player in this draft and getting Brady Quinn too will go a long way to rebuilding that team much faster than they've been doing it...

re: Mark May

He sucks. I saw Beck against the Irish two years ago in South Bend and he's a good prospect, but he's no Brady Quinn. Trent Edwards is a good one too, but very injury-prone. Has Quinn ever been injured?

Re: Ja Marcus Russell

I'm probably way off base, but I don't think he's that good. This was NOT a good year for QB talent and I wouldn't have burned a #1 on him. He's not smart, he makes poor decisions, his mechanics are terrible and he'll be thrown to the wolves in Oakland...

re: Steve Young
    The best comments all day were by Steve Young. His analysis of the QBs was spot-on and he listed exactly why Brady Quinn would be an outstanding pro QB, not that the others were listening to him...

re: Keyshawn
    Clueless...

11. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Ya know, I thought I had blind arrogance and loyalty/compassion when it came to my team and or a player that played for them.

Gentleman, (you also Gonzo) Ladies, and whoever else is listening...

Pretty good selections so far in the draft. The experts that are paid to make these choices/decisions obviously have done their homework. When's the last time a big ass white boy went before selection #5?

The masses here are gonna try and get me to believe that Quinn should have gone before Russell? Or higher than he was selected? He's lucky at best to be in the top 25 gents.

Russell might not make the grade, but Gentleman, there will only be one Joe Montana in this lifetime....and Brady Quinn ain't the heir to be. He failed miserably in his last 2 bowl games as a player, and sat there in the front row today expecting his name to be called in the first 15 minutes of the draft? Based on what? Because Steve Young said so?

The biggest kick I had was watching blondie sittin' next to him and the expressions she had on her face each time someone else got selected.

12. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

re:Blondie
    That was Quinn's girlfriend. If you were going to make that kind of money by hanging around at the draft, you'd be Quinn's girlfriend too...

re: "...only one Joe Montana in this lifetime."

Notre Dame has had four QBs win the Heisman Trophy and none of them were named Montana. The tradition of great Notre Dame quarterbacks is now nearly 100 years old and the list is too long to write out...

re: Quinn in the front row.
    Brady Quinn was invited to sit in the front row by ESPN, because two teams with Top Ten picks, Cleveland and Miami had told Quinn that they would probably pick him in those early rounds...

13. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

RE Quinn:

Raw talent wins out over intangibles.

Also, Russell's performance in the Sugar Bowl vs Quinn's could have played a role.

Of course...Brady was trying his luck vs. a pretty good if not great LSU defense whereas ND's defense was not the strong suit for the Irish last year.

Four 1st round picks for the Tigers is not surprising to me because not many if any visiting teams have looked as imposing and threatening in person on Florida Field as did LSU last October and I believe I made that same comment at the time.

When I walked out of the Swamp that night I knew that was one helluva Gator win and the best one of the season....except for one :wink: .

14. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Saban recruits right? :D

15. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Jamarcus Russell can throw a football 60 yards from his knees. How does that useless attribute translate into a #1 prospect? Raw talent will make you a star in college but brainpower will make you a good pro. I'll ait and see how he reads an NFL playbook and defenses before I canonize him.

Michael Vick started like gangbusters too but now the defenses have figured his freelance tendencies out and have forced him to play a more traditional game and his career hangs in balance as a result.

16. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

We won't know much about yesterday's crop for a few years. Russell was taken at the same posotion as John Elway, Jeff George and Ryan Leaf. Who knows. I laugh when I read this crap about Quinn's bowl games. First of all, did anyone see any of his skill position players drafted yesterday? (as opposed to a QB who had TWO receivers drafted in the first round) Second, he managed to get a team with no defense and little O talent into 2 consecutive BCS games.
    He's smart, durable, and experienced. I think the Browns got a bargain.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Agreed, Quinn played on Irish teams with very average OL's at best, with no running game and no defense to help out. Stovall and Samardzja were talented college recievers but without the OL and running game, defenses were able to focus on those guys and shut them down in big games.

Quinn was a great college QB, what he does in the NFL is yet to be seen. I hope he's a big success. I'm a Cleveland Browns fan now, maybe Stu will point me to where I can get some Browns gear!! :)

18. Terry O'Keefe

Lions taking Calvin Johnson at WR sure has to have John Kitna smiling. Pairing him with Roy Williams they potentially have the tallest fastest WR corps in the league. If they can bulk up Mike Williams into a TE and motivate him to play they could really have a passing game.

I assume they took Drew Stanton as the designated leader of any 2nd half meltdowns when necessary! :)

19. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

And now a few words about the Lions.

I think Calvin Johnson is a quality player. I also think he doesn't want to play in Detroit. Who can blame him? Perhaps he'll take the Mike Williams approach, show up overweight, pout, miss the voluntary workouts and ask to be traded after taking millions for nothing.
    Like Brady Quinn, Drew Stanton is a local hero. Just what the Lions saw in his last 10 games (1-9) is beyond me. Come to think of it, he seems to have the talent to keep the Lions where they are ie. in the top 5 of almost every draft.
    Thier third pick is a kid from Hawaii who didn't play football until his soph. year in college. The last thing that the Lions need it to use a second round pick on a project.
    Lions winning? Not in this MILLENium.

20. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Terry
    Missed in yesterday's draft news was a trade by the Lions sending Mike Williams and backup QB Josh McCown to the Raiders for a 4th round pick. That's right the Lions sent their 2005 first round pick and a QB to Oak. for a 4th round pick.
    I read in the paper today what the lions like about Johnson is his "character." What a joke. Since when did the Lions ever learn anything about a draftees character? They drafted a drunk, Reggie Rogers (0 sacks 3 body bags), Reggie Rogers a doper, and Mike Williams a lazy slug. Yeah, they like Johnson. He isn't involved in substance abuse and may show up ready to play. What a concept.