Gators #1 in AP, only 4 points down in Coaches Poll

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Gator Bill, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

The two polls are out and the Gators took over 1st in the AP and are only 4 points behind in the coaches poll while having the same number of votes as Miami in the Coaches Poll. Seems like strength of schedule just might matter to some voters.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/cfootball/poll/ap.html
    http://www.sportingnews.com/cfootball/poll/usatoday.html

My browser is loading some of those very slowly right now but I think the traffic is heavy. Oklahoma has also closed the gap in both polls.

Hey here's a link to a site called The College Football Research Center that has links to all the elements of the BCS and a link to the BCS once it starts. If I recall Jeff posted this last year, but some of you might find it interesting and it is a way to see all the polls and computer rankings from one location. Both polls and two computer rankings are out so far and it seems that Florida and Oklahoma have improved and Miami has slipped a bit.

---------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

Gator Bill
    http://www.cfrc.com/

2. Guest

Guest Guest

No offense to Florida but I have no idea how Oklahoma is not #1... This will all come out in the wash but to those of us "outside" the sphere of southern influence, these polls just look like another attempt to jam as many teams from Florida into the NC picture as possible..

Thank God South Florida finally came back down to Earth [​IMG]

3. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

Hey Bill how are you ????

I'm sure that SOS had a lot to do in the movement of polls but for Joe Pollster out there in college football land after watching UF,Miami and Oklahoma play this weekend that's the way I would have voted.

UF has waxed their opponents everytime they have played this year no matter who it may have been.A very impressive UF and Oklahoma for that matter should move up based on their play and competition.

Miami played Troy St. this weekend and won 38-7 but the first half was only 17-7 and really looked lethargic and played on auto-pilot for the entire first two quarters of the game.

I still believe that if Miami stays undefeated they will play in the Rose bowl.

Now for a little spin of opinion:

I know that LSU is not Troy St. and that winning the game in their home turf is a great win for UF, but it was LSU we are talking about a team that UF has now won the last 13 of 14 games played.Did anybody really think they would beat the Gators???

Congrats on your team, they really do look impressive and we shall see who is standing at the end of this season.

RC

4. RECcane

Corey,

It may come as a surprise but even down here in Dixie lots of folks wonder how Oklahoma is not rated #1, what's this 18 in a row!!!!

The stupid polls are trying to be accurate but regional biased opinions still prevail.

RC

5. Gator Bill

Corey, I have no problem that you believe Oklahoma should be number 1. I think a lot of people believe that and it's predictable. As far as packing Florida teams I do find that kind of ludicrous. The voters are from all over the country and the Florida teams have been very strong over the last 15-20 years.

As far as Oklahoma and Florida, because Oklahoma won it last year I can agree with you that as defending champ and a very good team they deserve consideration. However they have not looked like world beaters this year until yesterday. They jumped on N. Carolina quick then were kind of holding on at the end. Same with Kansas State. Those two teams have 3 and 2 losses respectively. While the teams the Gators play have lost games also, the schedule is decent and we haven't be threatened so far. Just my thoughts.

RC, I think that if Miami stays undefeated they will play in the Rose Bowl unless both Oklahoma and Florida are also undefeated. Then I think Miami misses out.

Just my thoughts guys. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gator Bill

6. RECcane

Bill,

That's ok we are all entitled to our opinion Bill and I will not take anything away from your team they really do look great and down right scary good on offense yesterday.

RC

7. Gator Bill

RC, I want to clarify something that Gonzo misunderstood last year when I posted it and it became true. I don't say that Miami would not make it if the three teams I mentioned were all undefeated. I say it because it is a matter of numbers. Miami would likely be caught by SOS and the computer polls as happened to them last year. The computer polls happened last year not the SOS. I am not sure what your SOS will look like at the end of the season. It will be better but I do not think as good as Florida or Oklahoma.

Just my humble opinion.

[​IMG]

Gator Bill

8. Tailback

Tailback Guest

Congrats Bill. I don't blame you for being excited. Your team is playing great. Been doing it for a while now!

9. BobW

BobW New Member

Hey Bill, I hearing rumors that Spurrier is leaving the Gators for the NFL. Heard anything like this?

:wink:

10. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

LOL!! GOOD ONE BOB! :lol:

11. Gator Bill

What are you trying to do Bob?

Ruin my day?

Dang we found an old one didn't we?

Gator Bill

12. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Bill, I have a bundle bet on Auburn to beat the Gators on a last second 45 yard kick in Hurricane conditions. Just a hunch! :wink:

13. Gator Bill

Dang MCG, that's a tough call. You might get someone here to make a bet with you.

:twisted: :twisted:

Gator Bill

14. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I also feel like Florida will sustain a key injury in the backfield before the UT game in Dec. and probably will come up a little short vs. the Vols in that one.
    I'm taking UT and the 17 points for sure. :roll:

15. Gator Bill

MCG, I think you may be onto something here and make a lot of money if you play things right.

:twisted: :twisted:

Gator Bill