Fentanyl

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by IrishCorey, Jan 2, 2020.

1. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

have you guys ever had to take this stuff? Man, it just wrecks me from time to time. I had to go 4 days without thanks to my local pharmacy pulling an idiotic stunt, and today it's literally made me a zombie. I'm even intently watching the Indiana-Tennessee game. Mostly because I can't move :)

2. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

WTF...Fentanyl?....dude....your better of with Jack and Motrin.....that shits dangerous....I'd rather have you doing coke and weed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Be careful with fentanyl , it's some addictive ****.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. IrishCorey

Yeah it's what the Dr's put me on initially because I couldn't swallow pills. Now that I can swallow pills, I've been begging to be put on any type of pills to treat the pain but they keep upping the amount of Fentanyl. I'm a responsible patient, I avoid interactions etc.. Still, I was really surprised by just how badly being off it for 4 days wrecked me, only to be followed up by how badly it wrecked me when I was finally able to get my prescriptions yesterday. It zombified me.

5. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Stay off that **** unless you have to.

• Like Like x 1
  6. IrishCorey

Yeah I didn't want to be on it, but Dr's orders. Now I've been on it, but as I said I can take pills again, I've been asking off it.. but Dr's orders. It's a pain clinic which I can't stand. The guy is nice enough, but they really do treat you like a junkie POS. These have become all the rage here (in these parts, one of the per capita worst offenders in the opioid crisis). Drs are afraid of putting you on pain meds in these parts, so the second they can, they refer you to one of these pain clinics. The pain clinics take over all of your pain medication and sort of rule with an iron fist. I can't just go back to my Dr or the oncologist and say 'this dude is FOS, get me off of these and give me something else for pain' because they make you sign over your pain management to the clinic way early in the process. It blows.

I still have considerable pain in my neck and jaw. It's to the point where I am getting really worried about it. But I digress, this **** kinda worries me.

7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

My wife was a nurse and had an aversion to pain medication. She was small but tough as nails. She refused to take anything stronger than Tramadol and even then would take it only if absolutely necessary. With respect for the level of your pain, because you are able to sit up, write, and physically interact with others, it's unlikely it's worse than what she endured. You need to understand that you are in control of your medication, regardless of what the Dr. says. If you don't like what's prescribed, tell them to change it to something less potent. I don't care what you signed, no one can force you to take medication to which you have an aversion.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Sid, great advice. My wife had major surgery last May and took only the least potent pain medication after her surgery even though her doctor prescribed far more powerful choices. In contrast, her candy-ass husband begs for OxyContin for dealing with such grave medical conditions as an ingrown toenail.
    Corey, it sounds as if you are going through some real misery right now. Wishing you the best.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  9. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Corey sorry to hear about your continuing pain and other concerns.

Here in Florida and back in Detroit I can tell you that misuse of Fentanyl is very dangerous... and on the street it kills daily. Be careful....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Had fentanyl administered once, and it took care of the pain very efficiently, as well as most cognitive function.

• Like Like x 1
  11. IrishCorey

scary enough, it just doesn't have that big of an impact on me. It does help with the pain for 24 to 48 hours, but day 3 on a 3 day patch doesn't work. They moved me to taking the 3 day patch every two days. They also gave me some injection for my knee that worked wonderfully for about a week.

12. Motorcity Gator

Had a 23 year old friend... hot cute and fun girl I met at a karaoke bar I frequent.... lots of fun she was and a recent graduate of Coastal Carolina University who was was really pretty tame drug use wise...never acted like a druggie and had a full time marketing job utilizing her degree.... but she was found dead in late October of an apparent drug overdose and most of the speculation is that she ingested street Xanax that was laced with fentanyl.... unbeknownst to her.
    She probably chased that with a few beers and it killed her.
    Very sad..... she was a sweet girl and she loved singing duets with me....
    I would like to get a hold of the asshole who laced that with fentanyl if that's what did in fact happen.

13. IrishCorey

That's terrible. From what I gather, there's a lot of street drugs out there now that are being laced with fentanyl. It's a huge risk. I take 50mcg (that's micrograms) every 48 hours. These amateur chemists are putting in grams of the stuff and killing people. It doesn't take much to do you in. If you mix it with alcohol, it's a recipe for disaster. I can't even recall the last time I had a drink. As I said, I'm a pretty good patient and do my homework on stuff I'm prescribed.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Terrible story Dave, unfortunately too many like it out there.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WSU1996kesley

Chinese fentanyl is killing thousands, if not tens of thousands, of Americans every year. Most of the deaths aren't the "standard" druggy and don't even know they're ingesting fentanyl. The US and China both know the biggest producer of the illicit Chinese fentanyl, and have for at least a year, yet he continues to breathe. Add this to the long list of reasons that China is a really bad business partner for any country.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I would opine that taking it by patch on a scheduled basis you are pretty safe from any kind of overdose...even using the 72 hour patch every 48. Of course addiction is a different risk. The stuff is so powerful in tiny amounts it's not meant to be haphazardly mixed in with other drugs in unknown amounts. In fact the only legitimate manufactured products are (I believe) the patches, nasal sprays, and injectibles (for very controlled use in anesthesia). Stay safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Motorcity Gator

Yes it is a terrible tragedy and a waste of a good human life that was just getting started.

I really do miss her especially when I go to that same karaoke bar.... which I often do.

It's such a crime that someone could dupe the unsuspecting into taking something that might kill them.

Obviously unless that person is suicidal then they would never run that risk.

In Detroit and elsewhere it's the heroin addicted that often are killed by heroin laced with fentanyl.

It's a hideous drug on the street.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I have two sons. One is a Sgt. with the NJ State police and did a four year stint with the street crimes unit in Atlantic City where he came in daily contact with the absolute dregs of society in the form of gangs, cartels , street dealers and their victims. He was exposed to Fentanyl frequently and its danger cannot be over stated. The other son is a recovering opiate addict. Started with oxy from medicine chests and graduated to heroin when oxy could not be afforded any longer. It completely changed the trajectory of his life and he will struggle forever.
    As a result I am terrified of anything stronger than Advil. Two years ago I had a robotic prostatectomy than got involved and I ended up on the table for just under 7 hours. I had seven separate abdominal incisions and a huge hole somewhere inside of me where my prostate used to reside. When I woke up and was transported to a room the first thing they did was offer me my choice of opiate pain relievers. I waved them off and accepted one Tylenol with codeine and then went to straight Tylenol. They had me up walking the next morning and I was out of there in two days but me fear of addiction trumped my surgical pain. That's just my story.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Motorcity Gator

Congratulations on the one son George... my oldest has become very successful
    in life as well.
    My middle son struggles with alcohol and it impairs his progress but at 31 he has been trying and doing better but he's a constant worry for my wife and I. He has friends/acquaintances back in Detroit that heroin took the life of and we were lucky he didn't travel down that path.
    My youngest battles depression so he has struggles too although hard drugs aren't a part of it but he has many difficult life challenges to overcome but so far so good.

20. WSU1996kesley

A parent's constant worry, ugh.

• Agree Agree x 1