ESD is tomorrow

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Scott88, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I figured Terry would be typing away about this, but so far no one is talking much.

I'll start. Today the Aggies got a HUGE commit from one of the top JUCO cover corners: Brian George.
    Big area of need for us.
    Many of our current corners are way too slow for the offenses we've been facing.
    Tomorrow is a big day.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Glad you took the bull by the Longhorns and started it Scott.

Irish recruiting is expected to sign 17 for sure and a good possibility it will be 18. The thing you mentioned, CB, is a big need in South Bend but while we have some coming in and hope they will grow none are highly rated and highly recruited. All 3 star CB's. Small class size will keep us out of the top 10, but we've got some explosive players, esp on offense.

Notably Chris Tyree a RB who is a burner and a 5 star guy, Rivals #1 RB. He's from Virginia.
    Also Jordan Johnson a WR who is a 5 start and ranked #4 at WR and top #28 in Rivals..he's from St. Louis.
    Mike Mayer a TE is the #1 TE in the class and a top 50 player from Kentucky
    Tosh Baker an OT is the #7 OT in the class and a top 100 player from Arizona.

Small class but some really good players.

Texas has had some defections and the class size is also small (16) but it has 2 5 star players.

Hudson Card a QB from Lake Travis, he's the #2 rated QB in the class and #63 overall
    Bijan Robinson a RB from Arizona is the #2 rated RB and #15 overall.
    Longhorns are bringing in a good class of OL's , 4 in total.

Majority of the class is from Texas (15). That is a sharp contrast to the highly rated class that Scott's Aggies are bringing in this year, top 5 in the 247 Composite. Below is the breakdown of the A&M Class. Aggies definitely venturing outside the state now that Jimbo is in charge. Back in the days of Mack Brown being Mr. February he rarely took an out of state player. He always felt that he wanted Texas kids at Texas and an out of state player had to a lot better than the Texas kid. Now that made Texas HS coaches happy and Mack always had great relationship with Texas HS coaches. But times have changed.

Breakdown

I e

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Gators have seemingly finished big. Will know better after tomorrow.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Clemson is going to end up with a fabulous class, 11 top 100 players including the #1 and #3 overall national players, both on the DL. A total of 6 five star players. I know that there are those of you out there who don't like the star system, but give me a class like Clemsons everyday and I'll let you have a class of 3 star eager beavers who want to be great.

5. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I don't like that they try to give every kid a numerical "value" vs every other kid.
    EX: He's a 94.7645 kid.
    They do that so they can create a magical score for each team. But it's dumb.
    Trying to compare a DE vs a QB vs a DB just dumb.
    It makes more sense to have 3 five star kids at every position, then maybe 5 four stars, and 8 three stars etc...

6. Terry O'Keefe

I don't disagree with you in general Scott, with so many players out there how they can evaluate and rank all of them accurately is a mystery. But still give me a class of top 100 players like Clemson is bringing in this year every time.

7. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Stroud QB California just announced for the Buckeyes. So far a very good day, approaching 24 commits.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Clemson got the #1 Pro Style QB in a kid from California's St. John Bosco that JO'Co has been talking about in another topic, DJ Uiagalelei.

Ohio State as Don noted got the #2 Pro Style in C.J. Stroud. from Calif and they also got another kid from Arizona, Jack Miller, who is also a Pro Style QB. So 2 QB's in this class.

Alabama picked up the #1 Dual QB, Bryce Young also from California, he plays for another school that JO'Co knows very well in So.Cal. Mater Dei. Most of those QB's go to USC.

Texas signed the #2 Dual QB in Hudson Card from a suburb of Austin. Card is a very polished QB and likely will be in the mix when he arrives on campus to be the backup to Sam Ehlinger and then start in 2021. They also got another kid, Ja'Quinden Jackson, who is a little rough but a tremendous athlete and played QB in HS. He's listed as an athlete not a QB. He's a legit top 100 player. Where he'll play is unknown right now he could stay at QB and he would fit the type of power spread that Herman has been running, or he could move to QB.

LSU signed 2 QB's but one is barely in the top 300 and the other is barely in the top 500. I'm a little surprised given what Joe Brady did for Joe Burrow, that top QB's didn't flip to LSU.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Right Now the top 10
    1. Clemson - 6 5 stars
    2. Alabama - 3 5 stars
    3. Ohio State -2 5 stars
    4. LSU -2 5 stars
    5. Georgia -2 5 stars
    6. Texas A&M -1 5 stars
    7. Auburn - 1 5 star
    8. OU - 0 5 stars
    9. Florida -0 5 stars
    10. Texas - 1 5 star ...a bit surprising since the class is only 16 guys, but a lot of talent in those 16. Usually to be in the top 10 you need at least 20 guys.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Former Fla Gator AA and Dallas Cowboy HOF RB Emmitt Smith's son signed with Stanford today. EJ Smith was an outstanding RB for Dallas Jesuit, he lead them to the Regional Finals. He's reportedly an outstanding student as well as an athlete. He had big time offers from Alabama, Ohio State, A&M and Georgia...and others. He was the #3 All-Purpose Back on 247 and a top 150 player.

Thing I do wonder about with Stanford is that have been reported to have 12 players in the Portal. They have 20 players who are going to be in their 2020 class. That's going to leave them below the full roster of 85. I don't know how many players are leaving due to using up their eligibility, but add to that the 12 who are leaving via transfer and they are likely going to be short of the 85.

11. Terry O'Keefe

South Carolina for a team that was in a lot of turmoil it seemed at the end of the season with it being up in the air if Will Muschamp would be retained, ended up at #16 and picked up the #5 overall player in a DL from the same HS as Will's son attends in Columbia.

12. Terry O'Keefe

I saw where of the top 11 recruits signing with Big 10 schools 8 of them signed with Ohio State.

13. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Gatorsports wraps up Florida's class below:

"The class, ranked No. 7 nationally by Rivals and No. 8 by 24/7Sports, consists of one five-star prospect (Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker Derek Wingo), 11 four stars, eight three stars and one two star (Australian punter Jeremy Crawshaw)."

Keeps UF competitive nationally... that's all you can ask out of recruiting.

We'll deal with Clemson down the road if we ever get to where they are.....

14. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

St. John Bosco's QB is a life-long USC fan, as is every member of his family. He said that he chose Clemson, because the Trojans DIDN'T RECRUIT HIM!

A LB named Flowe, from Upland HS in my old area was the #4 player in the nation, but signed with Oregon. So did the other top LB in this state...

USC finished LAST in the Pac-12 in recruiting and behind Bowling Green nationally...

I'm going to light a candle asking God to keep Clay Helton as USC's coach forever...

• Like Like x 2
  15. Terry O'Keefe

It's not surprising given all the turmoil at USC the last 2 years that recruiting is down for them. Helton seems like the anti-Pete Carroll type. Very low key, not a rah, rah type. So I imagine that has also figured into the equation. UCLA is also right now a non-factor. Chip Kelly hates recruiting and that was one of the reasons he left Oregon and tried very hard to not have to leave the NFL rather than come back to college. So now you get what you get. UCLA and USC non-factors in So.Cal recruiting opening the door for the Pac12 North teams to come in and reap the benefits.