Education As A Battleground

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by Stu Ryckman, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

After graduating from college I spent 5 years teaching in a Catholic school in NYC. Naturally there were classes on religion but the vast majority of the time we taught basic subjects. Students learned about reading and English, math and science and history and geography. We never went near topics like sexuality or racial issues. There were no school boards making policy, only a tough nun who was the principal and who cared about teaching kids.
    If you look at the Conservative voices in the media today it appears to me that most of them had a parochial education. They started the day saying the Pledge of Allegiance. They learned that the people who came to this country from Europe did so for many reasons, often for religious freedom not to own slaves. We learned that the formation of our country and its government resulted in a system that differed greatly from the countries and kingdoms existing on the earth at that time.
    In short the mission of the schools was to educate children on the basic requirements ie. reading, math, science and the requirements to be good citizens ie. the history and formation of our government.
    I just saw a report that 3 out of every 5 people surveyed couldn't name the 3 branches of our government. When we were in elementary school, I bet 95% of the 10 yr. olds could give the right answer.

• Like Like x 2
  3. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
  4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Mike, good for her and good for you that you've had her for so long. What an incredible story, from chorus girl in WW2 to teacher to lawyer and obviously sharp as a tack at almost 100. I'm a big supporter of teaching cursive, and I don't understand why it's fallen out of favor. Based on your mom's longevity, it looks like you'll be the last man standing in Skybox. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Thanks Sid. For supporters of teaching cursive I'm sure that her book would make a great Christmas present.:) But seriously, my younger brother Sean passed away 7 yrs. ago and it was really hard on my mother. I've been trying to avoid that by outliving her but damn, she's making it difficult. As long as I have NDers from the class of '63 posting I know I'm not yet in the first pew.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

God bless your Mom, Mike. What a great life and story ! Both of my grandson's are on Honor Roll and neither can write in cursive ! Ages 13 and 11. Where do I get the book ???

7. George Krebs

You watch these "Man on the Street" style interviews of college age people and you cannot believe what you are hearing. I saw one young lady asked who fought in the Civil War. Her answer was the Americans against the Germans. And she thought it occurred in the 1950s-60s. What can you say?

8. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

The book is on Amazon. If you want, I can probably get one signed by the author.:)

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. George Krebs

Tell Francesca I just bought the last one on Amazon. They say more are on the way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Wow Mike... your Mom is something else... something pretty damned amazing!
    :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Mike, if you're referring to me, it's class of '66. Still older but not by as much. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

My bad Sid. Mea culpa.

• Like Like x 1