Could this be true?

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

"Over the past 50 years, UF has a 389-181 record. ND has a 385-179 record. Just thought that would be nice to know."

This is from a Florida message board.

You Domers would be surprised at how many Gator fans would absolutely love to see Notre Dame and Florida in the Sugar Bowl.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I'm not surprised at all, you can choose a number of different starting points and come up with different numbers. But suffice it to say that in the last 50 years the Gators have 1 Nat'l Championship and the Irish have a bunch.

As far as the ND/UF possible game in the Sugar Bowl. I will be surprised when it comes down if most Gator fans don't revert to the same thing as back in '92. We will be deemed as overrated, unworthy, a severe beating will be predicted after all we haven't played a tough conference schedule. Not to mention that there will be those who are indignant that the Irish are even allowed to participate in the BCS system, references to having our own network, why don't we join a conference etc.

3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Yada......yada.........yada....

4. Motorcity Gator

I assure you that Meyer is a student of history and the harsh lesson of 1992 will not be lost on the Gators even if the Irish lose the rest of their games.

Bring the A game!

Re: 50 years...THE most recent 50 years...that's a pretty representative slice by anyone's standards.

5. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I know this

<t>-41 of those losses came under our last two head coaches. Also, by using the '50 year' marker, you are including the illustrious careers of Brennan (last 3 years was 2-8, 7-3 and 6-4) and Kuharich (17-23). I believe that is 56 of the losses in a 50 year span right there. Hell, that's not even counting the Faust years (30-26)<br/>
    <br/>
    -I know that in the past 50 years, Florida has won an NC with exactly ONE coach, ONE time. ND has won 4 with 3 different coaches.<br/>
    <br/>
    -I know that Spurrier's 122 wins in 11 years is a mighty big chunk of your '50 year history of success.'<br/>
    <br/>
    -In 50 year's Florida has left the southeast 5 times for a regular season matchup (eg non bowl game). You can continue to whine about that 12th game against Div IAA Sister Mary of the Poor, but then again, they are willing to play for a paycheck.</t>

6. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

:lol:

Corey, nice to see you're back and in fine form.....! Don't be a stranger!

:lol:

7. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Corey's research staff is earning its money :D

8. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Yeah Good stuff Corey !

Keep em coming! :lol:

9. Motorcity Gator

Let's see...let me throw out Ron Zook...eliminate Charlie Pell's first season and Doug Dickey's last two seasons...and on and on...
    what is your friggin point? It's still part of the last 50 years.

Take away the 122 under Spurrier? That's relevant you say?

Geez take away the 122 under Parseghian for Christ's sake..

Man...I'm glad you have so many followers on this board willing to drink your Koolaid!

10. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Chico! clap, clap, clap, Chico! clap, clap, clap, Chico! clap, clap, clap,

[​IMG]

11. BuckeyeT

Re: Wisky.....45 times between the tackles from the I behind an O-line averaging 315+, a transplanted OG for a fullback and a 250 lb tailback who can take it to the house......

Corey, Corey, Corey, Corey...... :lol: :lol: :lol: Cheers!

[​IMG]

Thanks to Bobda....nice pic!

12. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

That Kool Aid is sure potent !

Corey ! Corey ! Corey !

[​IMG]

13. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

you guys crack me up

<t>but back to the point at hand....<br/>
    <br/>
    MCG, <br/>
    <br/>
    As great a coach as Ara was, he didn't win 122 games because he only coached in 116 games total in his 10 years. (95-17-4) .836%<br/>
    <br/>
    The ole ball coach was a great one at Florida winning 122 at an .817 clip but he also played in the day and age of expanded schedules as well as conference title games. Still both great coaches.<br/>
    <br/>
    I didn't suggest tossing them out, but fine, I will take your lead and do so.<br/>
    <br/>
    I say Dan Devine. One National Title .764 winning% You say Ray Graves. Zero NCs and a .686%<br/>
    <br/>
    I say Lou Holtz. One National Title and a .765 winning%. You say Galen Hall. Zero NCs and a .686 winning %</t>

14. Motorcity Gator

...and I still say 389 for Florida and 385 for ND in the last 50....

15. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

....which clearly defines Florida as one of the greatest, most successful, and most popular programs in the history of college football.

16. Motorcity Gator

Nope...just illustrates that ND and Florida have a very similar amount of wins over the last 50 years.....a stat that I am sure galls a few ND fans to no end.

17. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Sorry to disappoint you, but do you see anyone on this board acting "galled"? Humored perhaps, but not "galled". Yours is not the first program to try to compare itself to ND over a self-serving, fixed period of time (cite: Miami), and it won't be the last. There are very few college football programs who over the course of the entire history of college football are in the same league as ND, and FL definitely is not one of them.

No, MCG, when it comes to comparing the two programs and their relative contributions to the history of college football, which was your intent regardless of your assertions to the contrary, you and your bulletin board buddies are the flies crawling up the elephant's leg.

18. Motorcity Gator

Just looking at the last 50 years Sid...nothing more...nothing less..

50 years is a pretty good long time and to me the last 50 years is more relevant to today's college football scene than the previous 50 years from 1906-1956.

19. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

It would be interesting to look at the UF schedule from a lot of those years, there was a time when the SEC was only loosely a conference, where I don't think more than 5 conference games were played. Even thought UF and Tenn have been SEC members for the last 50 years, they haven't played 50 times I'll bet. Same for Tenn and LSU, Fla and Alabama. I'm guessing that Fla played a pretty weak non-conf schedule back in the day.

20. BuckeyeT

TOK,

In taking a quick peek at the Gator schedules over that time period, the single most significant fact, imho, is that during that period of time - 50 freakin' years - the mighty Gators have ventured north of the Mason-Dixon line ONE TIME in 1991. ONE TIME! In 50 years! WTF? They played Syracuse in the Dome....and got whacked.

You're comparing wins -v- ND who travels anywhere, anytime, to play any one....you must joking! :lol:

Corey had referenced their aversion to leaving the comforts of SEC country in previous posts but my God, 1 time in 50 years!!!! What's up with that?

MCG, c'mon son, get your Gators to grow some seeds!